The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Knock-off Sennheiser SR2050 IEM Sounds Tinny?
Old 12th October 2017
Here for the gear

Question Knock-off Sennheiser SR2050 IEM Sounds Tinny?

I caved and purchased one of those knock off Sennheiser SR2050 IEM units on ebay, this one to be exact:

SR 2050 dual Channel UHF Wireless In Ear Monitor System for Stage performance | eBay

I'm using it for my wedding in a month, so needed something quick and cheap. I had thought about going the DIY FM transmitter route, but they don't offer a lot of range most of the time. I don't have any huge complaints, other than that it just sounds really... tinny? Things are loud and come through clearly, but it seems like the EQ is severely lacking. It's mostly in the bass & mid range on the spectrum.

Will be running a band through Ableton, with each player having their own in-ear sends. Haven't tried it yet, but thought I might EQ each individual send channel and see if that offers a solution. Seems plugging my ears straight into my interface prove that the EQ comes through clearly.

I mean, I have a pretty good idea on what I'm getting into with any sort of cheap equipment. Is this just isolated to the capabilities of the unit? Any other thoughts, possibly?

Thanks!
Old 12th October 2017
S21
Lives for gear

Try different earbuds
Old 12th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S21 View Post
Try different earbuds
Westone UM Pro 20's on my end, but I'll use your suggestion and try some others. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks!
Old 12th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssccrab View Post
I don't have any huge complaints, other than that it just sounds really... tinny? Things are loud and come through clearly, but it seems like the EQ is severely lacking. It's mostly in the bass & mid range on the spectrum.
Your description points to there being something not-quite-right in the compatibility between the transmitter and the receivers . . . like different pre/de-emphasis standards and/or the companding (noise reduction) mistracking. It's not unlikely that such a kit was put together from contract-manufacturing surplus pieces, and the fact that they merely pass audio was considered good enough.

I think the most pragmatic solution is simply to EQ the audio feed to the transmitter until it sounds acceptable.
Old 12th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkus View Post

I think the most pragmatic solution is simply to EQ the audio feed to the transmitter until it sounds acceptable.
Yup.

Ear buds will tend to sound as the OP describes. It usually takes a custom molded set to get enough of a seal to get good low/mid response. EQ will only go so far, but it's a good start.

Last edited by Wyllys; 12th October 2017 at 09:46 PM..
Old 12th October 2017
S21
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssccrab View Post
Westone UM Pro 20's on my end, but I'll use your suggestion and try some others. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks!
Often cheap iems ship with $2 earbuds. I have a cbinese iem which is ok, save for the earbuds that got binned.

If you already have good ones, my advice is moot.
Old 21st October 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply, guys. I ended up EQ'ing the crap out of it externally, and it sounds now like a normal wireless system. My problem now is the volume fluctuations. Testing different songs, it's like the limiter either hits too hot, or is fine. Any advice? Should I try boosting the RF signal, or is that pretty normal for something like this?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search