The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alesis HD24 normal version for live multitrack
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Alesis HD24 normal version for live multitrack

hi,

With my band we currently use a Fostex 108 multitrack recorder...
But it's too much hassle for us to have to transfer the tracks in reel 2 reel style like recording the outputs of interface to the multitrack recorder.

ATM I can get a Alesis HD24 + Firewire interface + remote and without a caddy (? what for?) for 350 eur. Should I do this or not?

We just want to copy our tracks from cubase straight to the multitrack recorder without having to record the audio outputs to the machine. Can this machine do the job ? Will it be advantage for us?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Let's say I export my Cubase sequencer tracks seperately 24 wavs.... can I just copy them over to the HD24?
I've seen there is an FTP option
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I don't have the firewire fitted HD24 so can't comment on what options you have open using firewwire but:

The FTP in the HD24 is painfully slow - however the free HD24Tools program (https://ringbreak.dnd.utwente.nl/~mrjb/hd24tools/) allows easy transfer of tracks to and from the machines disk. Make a donation if you use it!

You need a USB caddy to connect the disk to your host computer.

Been using this setup for 15 odd years for transferring live gigs recorded on an HD24 to long-term storage and a DAW - should be moving over to Dante but the HD24 just works without a problem.

Note: you will probably want to get the SATA hd24 caddies from Alesis - non-SATA hard disks can be very hard to find these days.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreichmcculloch View Post
I don't have the firewire fitted HD24 so can't comment on what options you have open using firewwire but:

The FTP in the HD24 is painfully slow - however the free HD24Tools program (https://ringbreak.dnd.utwente.nl/~mrjb/hd24tools/) allows easy transfer of tracks to and from the machines disk. Make a donation if you use it!

You need a USB caddy to connect the disk to your host computer.

Been using this setup for 15 odd years for transferring live gigs recorded on an HD24 to long-term storage and a DAW - should be moving over to Dante but the HD24 just works without a problem.

Note: you will probably want to get the SATA hd24 caddies from Alesis - non-SATA hard disks can be very hard to find these days.
Do you think it will be better than the Fostex we are using now? We just want to be able to EXPORT in cubase to Wav then import to the multitrack machine. As Recording instantly takes soooo much time now with the fostex.
Would you buy it for 350?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Are these caddys easy to get and how much tdo they cost?
Is it universal?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Direct transfers would work much better with the HD24XR vastly improved converter chips. I modified my HD24 to the XR version 13 years ago and it really cleaned up the capture!
Hugh
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Would there a cheap alternative to the HD24 drive caddy? That's what i'm a bit worried about. I think 350 eur is good price but without the hard drive caddy would still be expensive or not?
Old 1 week ago
Find a sata caddy first, or if none available, the older ide drive caddy.
Buying an hd24 without a caddy or no ready access to one is like buying a 1960s MG without a carbourettor or distributor - you might find a working one but it's useless until you do.
If it didn't come with the FW powered dongle, I would advise against it completely - transfer by ftp takes days versus an hour or so for FW.
A new sata caddy used to cost $99 when they were available. Another cost is cables, db25 to trs x 3 for 24 tracks. If you have adat 8-channel pre amps, cables are $40 versus $250 for copper.
If you can access a caddy it will probably do what you want but $350 as-is seems a bit high for a non- recording recorder.
Good luck with this,
WalterT
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by audibell View Post
Buying an hd24 without a caddy or no ready access to one is like buying a 1960s MG without a carbourettor or distributor - you might find a working one but it's useless until you do.
If it didn't come with the FW powered dongle, I would advise against it completely - transfer by ftp takes days versus an hour or so for FW.
A new sata caddy used to cost $99 when they were available. Another cost is cables, db25 to trs x 3 for 24 tracks. If you have adat 8-channel pre amps, cables are $40 versus $250 for copper.
If you can access a caddy it will probably do what you want but $350 as-is seems a bit high for a non- recording recorder.
Good luck with this,
WalterT
Another cost is cables, db25 to trs x 3 for 24 tracks. If you have adat 8-channel pre amps, cables are $40 versus $250 for copper.

I thought the HD24 had jack outputs on the back.... ? I want to connect it to the live mixer through the jacks on backside. Why for the db25 cables?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Good luck with this,
WalterT
Are these HD24 caddies special size than normal old PC caddies and Fostex D106 caddies? My dad has some old PC caddies left and some fostex D106 caddies.
Old 6 days ago
1> I think you'll find that 3 x 8-ch db25 1m or 2m snakes will be cheaper and more portable than 24 shorty trs cables. Some cheap 8 channel TRS snakes are so poorly built they don't fit properly in some equipment. I use mogami but you can use Hosa or brand-X.
2> The caddies were made for Alesis by a company which also sold them without branding, a long time ago. I don't recollect that OEM company's name.
There was a guy in California who made a batch of sata caddies a few years ago that work well. I don't believe he still does this. Magic Sound SATA24
Whether Alesis has any "new" old stock, only they can answer.
You can try an eBay search listing and subscribe to emails when someone posts a caddy you want.
Goodluck with this
WalterT
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
1> I think you'll find that 3 x 8-ch db25 1m or 2m snakes will be cheaper and more portable than 24 shorty trs cables. Some cheap 8 channel TRS snakes are so poorly built they don't fit properly in some equipment. I use mogami but you can use Hosa or brand-X.
2> The caddies were made for Alesis by a company which also sold them without branding, a long time ago. I don't recollect that OEM company's name.
There was a guy in California who made a batch of sata caddies a few years ago that work well. I don't believe he still does this. Magic Sound SATA24
Whether Alesis has any "new" old stock, only they can answer.
You can try an eBay search listing and subscribe to emails when someone posts a caddy you want.
Goodluck with this
WalterT
Hmm thinking of just maybe buying complete HD24 without firewire.... is firewire really needed to transfer files from PC?
Isn't a caddy with USB faster than firewire? What advantages does this firewire interface has?
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search