The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Small venues: Please just get a damn X32 or M32 Consoles
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

This is the result of sound mixers who are to lazy or ignorant to prepare good riders and advance their gigs...the same people who are more interested in making their shows as complicated as possible by using every gimmick the console has to offer, ****ing numbnuts. These are the same people who can’t engineer their way out of a sho box but but want to be called engineers.

It’s incredulous that guys come here and bitch about venues not having the console they want but didn’t ask for or bring...telling local crews that they might get hired by the band if their lazy sound guy is happy. What will they do if they end up in festival where they can’t even bring their favorite console because they are not mixing the headliner and don’t get to soundcheck?

Last edited by Samc; 3rd April 2019 at 06:48 PM..
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

even worse:

i got their riders in advance, but just two hours before they showed up, six pages, no date, pics showing different gear/positions/channel numbers than the list... - and all inears were already patched, all wireless synced, wedges set up and eq'd, riser put together and positioned, drums reasonably tuned etc.

imo the propagation and widespread use of digital gear made it possible for way to many folks to get jobs/into positions they should never be: hey, i programmed an app so i can mix!
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
imo the propagation and widespread use of digital gear made it possible for way to many folks to get jobs/into positions they should never be: hey, i programmed an app so i can mix!
Hey, I have a laptop and a mic...I have a studio.

By the way, I'm advancing all my November gigs now, and the gigs I'm working now were advanced at the end of last year...a week or two before every gig there's an email to verify that things are still on track. There is no dicking around on show day, everybody knows what's going to happen and who should do it.

Once this year I was contacted by the production to say that the console I requested had a problem and will have to be replaced, they could get my second choice for the gig, would that be okay. I am constantly checking and sometimes tweaking my riders just to make sure that the info is as clear as possible. So when I hear people who didn't do due diligence complaining how their gigs didn't go right I have no sympathy.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar dave View Post
However, what really got me to respond (it’s not the gear) was the absurd reasoning put forth.

“Can you build a mix faster than I can load a preset?”

Ha what garbage. You’re complaining about a problem that YOU DIDNT ADVANCE .. not enough time during soundcheck. Either advance the show properly, or find a TM who can. You’re criticizing venue equipment for your own negligence.

If you’re too lazy to advance, then Bring your favorite desk and a splitter. Done deal.

But don’t forget to advance that too...
When I was FOH/TM for a band playing 2nd of 3 bands in Australia and the headliner wouldn't allow me send more than a stage plot, I didn't forget to advance. Flying every morning 12 hours opposite our shows I was right there to get on top of things the second the headliners were loading in.

On the last show in Sydney when the console got changed from an Si to a Pro2 and I had no soundcheck time whatsoever, I built a mix with 22 channels and 6 monitor mixes from memory in 25 minutes - 8 minutes while the openers set up, 7 minutes between opener soundcheck and their start, and our 10 minute changeover. I got my band on only 1 minute late and the headline's management said they wished they had me on their mix.

If you're going to have an entry-level digital desk, it's not for the acts that have control over the show you choose your house console, it's for the acts that don't. The acts that have control can choose to augment or deal with what's there. The acts that can't be expected to bring consoles and have no time in the schedule should be able to load a file and go.

If another console series were more abundant then I'd advocate for that. But the most abundant, flexible, and accessible ones are the X32/M32 series.

And for the record, I tour with an M32R, X32 Rack, DL151, and splits on all North American support tours. Enjoy pricing out Soundcraft equivalents to that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search