The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Really small, versatile, high performance loudspeaker systems
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Really small, versatile, high performance loudspeaker systems

Nexo ID and Meyer Sound UPM...two small systems that sound really good and punch way above their size and weight. Both can be arrayed and can be used in either the vertical and horizontal positions which makes them very flexible and therefore suitable for a lot of different types of situations.

Anybody who is considering a small, good sounding that they might want to grow with their needs and circumstances should take a look at these systems. They certainly sound better, and offer more flexibility than any stick on stick system I've ever heard.

Note: I spent months working both systems in very different, real-world situations...from small jazz clubs to festival tents and sheds. They were almost always used as fill or to delay in conjunction with bigger systems, but they could easily have been used alone for FOH in a couple of the smaller clubs.
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks Sam.
The Nexo looks very interesting and if I am looking at it correctly, the horn can be rotated without removing the grill. Is that correct? Looks like there might be a selectable dial for this on the rear of the cabinet.
I would also offer the KV2 Audio ESD25 and EX26 as very good options in the compact high performance category as well. I recently had a great experience on their ESD36 which really blew me away although probably more fitting to the compact rather than ultra compact category.
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Yes, the horn can be rotated by a knob on the back of the unit. I'll have to check out those kv2 boxes in the near future, the problem is I don't see them anywhere.
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Wow, that is some clever engineering to rotate the horn from the outside of the cabinet.
Unfortunately the KV2 Audio stuff is not widely used. The ESD36 is sensational as it is compact and has two 6" for LF and a 6" for mids with the horn, so 3 x 6" and horn 3way design in a compact cab.
They do some bigger versions of this as well that I was impressed with when I went to see Kinky Boots on Broadway earlier this year. ESR215.
They are gaining some ground in theatre as well as the EDM market, so we may see them more readily available. If you are like me and enjoy a good techie read of a document, their amplifiers and system processing are very interesting.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just enjoy unique designs. : P
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Wow, some really good news is in this thread. Today a musician, that has reached a level of popular demand that requires sound reinforcement, has several high quality small foot print SR options. 50 years ago limited options to deliver transparent sound reinforcement required big boxes and sonic compromises. Over the past 15 years significant development in small point source systems has reached the pro level of sonic delivery for small venues. Subject Nexo, Meyer & KV2 gear all carry price tags that will get your attention however the ability to transport world class sonics in the back of your SUV is a real break through. It matters not how much you paid for your vintage instrument or how well you sing and play: the people pay for what they hear, not necessarily what you perform!
Hugh
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Maniac

some truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
It matters not how much you paid for your vintage instrument or how well you sing and play: the people pay for what they hear, not necessarily what you perform!
Hugh
Some, but not all, truth here.
People will pay a premium for excellent talent.
As a sound provider my motto is:
talent in = talent out
garbage in = garbage out

Some people will be fooled by a "dressed up" mess on stage but most will not.
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
Thanks Sam.
The Nexo looks very interesting and if I am looking at it correctly, the horn can be rotated without removing the grill. Is that correct? Looks like there might be a selectable dial for this on the rear of the cabinet.
I would also offer the KV2 Audio ESD25 and EX26 as very good options in the compact high performance category as well. I recently had a great experience on their ESD36 which really blew me away although probably more fitting to the compact rather than ultra compact category.
Both Nexo and Meyer have slightly bigger compact systems too, namely the Geo M6 and M10 systems, and the UPJ and UP junior systems respectively. All these systems sound good and are small and light enough to easily fit into a car and are also very easy to setup.
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Both Nexo and Meyer have slightly bigger compact systems too, namely the Geo M6 and M10 systems, and the UPJ and UP junior systems respectively. All these systems sound good and are small and light enough to easily fit into a car and are also very easy to setup.
I am pretty familiar having used most of these systems on many occasions. They all perform very well. It is nice to understand their voicing and spec to take advantage of that.
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Some, but not all, truth here.
People will pay a premium for excellent talent.
As a sound provider my motto is:
talent in = talent out
garbage in = garbage out

Some people will be fooled by a "dressed up" mess on stage but most will not.
If I hear the performance it's good. If I hear the system it's not so good.
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
If I hear the performance it's good. If I hear the system it's not so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Really small, versatile, high performance loudspeaker systems-hes-right.jpg  
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
I am pretty familiar having used most of these systems on many occasions. They all perform very well. It is nice to understand their voicing and spec to take advantage of that.
How do these systems compare to the KV2 systems?
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
How do these systems compare to the KV2 systems?
That is a loaded question. The short answer is very well, however, the long answer is...what voicing suits the artist that your are travelling with, what dispersion characteristics are required etc. etc. These are the small details that will make any one of these systems stand out more on any given day. Or at least perform better under given circumstances. As I say, it is the voicing that will stand out between those three contenders and that is really just a personal thing. They are all well built and deliver great results and can punch well above their size.
I would definitely put KV2 Audio in the same basket and add Adamson's compact line of point source as well, and maybe a few others that are on my radar to try.

When you test the KV2 Audio speaker, make sure that you use the KV2 Audio amplifiers as well. Their amplifiers are really something else and a big part of the magic sauce. It is their amplifiers that interest me the most with the curious technologies that they are incorporating.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search