The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best COMPACT stage monitor option
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Best COMPACT stage monitor option

I'm looking for some advice/recommendations on a live stage monitor for a member of a Trio I perform with. Two of us love in-ear monitors, but the remaining member just can't stand them no matter how I mix it for her.
Anyway, I'm out of touch with what's out there these days in regards to quality, compact stage monitors. As you can tell from the picture, I have very little room to work with in the vehicle we use. Right now, I'm running as compact as I can get in every way (Qu-PAC mixer, Bose L1 M2, wireless mics, etc.). Something 8 inches or smaller would fit in my remaining travel space.

I appreciate your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Best COMPACT stage monitor option-img_3953.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You've got a s***load of unused space. First thing to do is build yourself a shelf...or two...so that your gear cases can slide in and out instead of just being piled up. Even one good shelf even with the top of the rear seat will help out.

For a monitor your best bet is a concentric powered model. The Alto Sxm112a is not much bigger than an 8" monitor and will have a much smoother coverage pattern. Small footprint, not heavy, very good working angle. I have 5 of them...among other monitors...and they get used the most.

https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/sxm112a

You'll want to make a cover or find a padded bag, though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
You've got a s***load of unused space. First thing to do is build yourself a shelf...or two...so that your gear cases can slide in and out instead of just being piled up. Even one good shelf even with the top of the rear seat will help out.

For a monitor your best bet is a concentric powered model. The Alto Sxm112a is not much bigger than an 8" monitor and will have a much smoother coverage pattern. Small footprint, not heavy, very good working angle. I have 5 of them...among other monitors...and they get used the most.

https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/sxm112a

You'll want to make a cover or find a padded bag, though.
Beat me to it. I have 2 of the Alto's and they're great and will be buying more as funds allow and I sell off things I don't need (like a full set of Audix tom mics when we never have time to fully mic the drums...) You will need covers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
+1 on the Alto's. Really nice.

If you want to go super-lightweight and don't need high stage volumes, the Alto TX series can also double as wedges. It would depend on the situation, but I have used those with singer-songwriters and acoustic duos with success.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Alto TX10

We run Alto TX10's for monitors. Pretty hard to beat for the money. We bought ours as re-ferbs from Altomusic on EBay. The cabinets are soft plastic so they scuff easy. Other than that they have held up well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm not going to quibble (much) about what others use for monitors, but my personal preference is to use concentric boxes for the even coverage across their range (no separate tweeter pattern), smaller footprint and better angle.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not going to quibble (much) about what others use for monitors, but my personal preference is to use concentric boxes for the even coverage across their range (no separate tweeter pattern), smaller footprint and better angle.
Any particular brand/model you like? Small like the TX10's.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet View Post
Any particular brand/model you like? Small like the TX10's.
Do you not read the thread before replying? See post 2 above.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

QSC K-series (now K.2 series) 8, 10, 12 all work great as well.
Old 1 week ago
QSC K8

I use a 5mm bolt (about 3" long) and screw it into one of the side holes (you will need to remove one of the side caps) provided.
Perfect angle as a floor wedge.
small & loud for its size
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

These are great suggestions, guys. I'm looking into the Alto speakers mentioned for sure as I had never heard of them before. The k8 is also something I had considered.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Guy View Post
These are great suggestions, guys. I'm looking into the Alto speakers mentioned for sure as I had never heard of them before. The k8 is also something I had considered.

Thanks!
There is a huge difference in price between a K8 and the Alto model.
If you have a low stage volume and or are acoustic act the Alto will work just great for you.
I think peak is like 124db which is not a real loud box.

If you are a rock act with a loud stage volume then you will have the Alto limiting all the time and you would need a much louder box because of your stage volume.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
If you have a low stage volume and or are acoustic act the Alto will work just great for you.

If you are a rock act with a loud stage volume then you will have the Alto limiting all the time and you would need a much louder box because of your stage volume.
And you'd need some kind of hearing protection...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Good point. We are just a little Praise and Worship band. I play acoustic and we use backing tracks, so the lower volume capability wouldn't hurt us too bad.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good point. We are just a little Praise and Worship band. I play acoustic and we use backing tracks, so the lower volume capability wouldn't hurt us too bad.
The thing about the Alto concentric monitors is the clarity and evenness across the pattern. The tight conical pattern, the optimum angle allowing close placement and the 16 EQ contour presets make it work above mere "how loud can it get" expectations. Clarity more than makes up for any supposed lack in output.

And the cabinets are real wood.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
How about the 8" or 10" versions of the dbTechnologies Flexsys coaxial monitors:

FLEXSYS FM8 - dBTechnologies

L.
Cost is 1.5x the Alto, less power, fewer preset curves and a "reconstituted wood" cabinet. Availability in the US spotty. db are reputable, but this is not comparable to the Alto other than sharing coaxial config.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've tried the Alto SXM112a and it is a very good monitor for it's price. I've also tried the dB Technologies FM10 and also found it to be very good. However, I personally preferred the Alto TS210a and am very happy with their sound but it's cheap plastic cabinet isn't holding up very well as it marks easier than any speaker I've tried!
I'm looking to change the Alto's am currently deciding between the LD Systems Stinger 10a G3 and HK Audio Premium PR:O 10XD are top of my list. I've heard the HK and it goes much louder than the Alto TS210 and the build quality is on a completely different level. I'm hoping to get the LD's here at some point to compare to the Alto's and HK's.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Schertler Teddy.......it's on my shopping list. Not cheap but they make quality and very accurate sounding stuff.

https://secure.schertler.com/en_CH/s...plifiers/teddy
Unfortunately I can't read the specs on the phone. It appears they do not mention anything about how they measured their power rating. An immediate turn off for me. Especially as they seem somewhat underpowered and the specs are lacking any useful information.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Schertler Teddy.......it's on my shopping list. Not cheap but they make quality and very accurate sounding stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Unfortunately I can't read the specs on the phone. It appears they do not mention anything about how they measured their power rating. An immediate turn off for me. Especially as they seem somewhat underpowered and the specs are lacking any useful information.
All the icing and no cake...from the folks who're marketing "enhanced" guitar amps as PA gear. No way.

Last edited by Wyllys; 1 week ago at 11:40 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
We're a rock band and they're just fine in terms of volume. If you were a metal band or the idiot who brings a Marshall Plexi to a bar gig, then no, they won't be loud enough.

We don't get stupid loud on stage - just a 40 watt Bandmaster amp, drums and bass amp. The Altos work great for our singers, me included.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
QUOTE=doorknocker;12785047]Schertler Teddy.......it's on my shopping list. Not cheap but they make quality and very accurate sounding stuff.

Quote:
SPL max 96.5 db SPL

Yikes
Alto: 124dB for $300.00, approx $2.50/dB

Schertler: 97dB for $800.00, approx $8.00/dB

The Schertler dB's are clearly your higher quality dB's!!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
How about the 8" or 10" versions of the dbTechnologies Flexsys coaxial monitors:

FLEXSYS FM8 - dBTechnologies

L.
Cost is 1.5x the Alto, less power, fewer preset curves and a "reconstituted wood" cabinet. Availability in the US spotty. db are reputable, but this is not comparable to the Alto other than sharing coaxial config.
Good to know. I've been thinking about getting a couple of small coaxial monitors. I haven't gotten to the trying them out stage, but when I do I'll put the Altos on the list of speakers to try.

Louis
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have used 3 KV2 EX10s for 12 years: they are pricy but very, very good.
Hugh
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
I have used 3 KV2 EX10s for 12 years: they are pricy but very, very good.
Hugh
They aren't that pricey compared with other KV2 such as the full ES system. Also they make a smaller EX6 which has amazing output for the size, though I've not used it outside of mainly speech programme material. I don't know if it has a wedge angle built in, but it's easy to properly up small boxes with a couple of broken DIs or whatever.

There's actually someone selling a full EX system on eBay for £4000 right now. That seems very reasonable for a pair of EX10s over a pair of dual 12" subs, and used KV2 gear doesn't appear second hand too often - everyone I know who owns it is very happy to hang on to it!

To answer the OP, I'd seriously consider DB Tech's FM8. I really like the larger boxes in that series, and I have used the 8" model but can't really recall details - but I'm sure it will perform in line with its big brothers.

However whilst I'm not as familiar with the Altos - wood boxes with a decent sounding coax at that price seems very good value. As someone mentioned, with monitors it's often easier to get good performance out of a quality speaker, than one which on paper has more output capability but not necessarily good enough pattern control (for example) to make use of that full capability.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes, I also bought a KV2 ES (10 box) system with the three EX10 wedges 12 years ago and they were and are expensive. Through the years most good venues have installed decent custom FOH coverage that has greatly reduced the necessity of providing a full FOH system. We are an acoustic Americana music review and deploy the EX10s at every show as monitors for our Digigrid\WavesLV1 system or with a QUsb as primary FOH for quick set-up small solo gigs. All of the KV2 gear is sonically superior and pretty much bullet proof but some dealers find the company diffacult to work with.
Hugh
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The EX10 is one of my favourite monitors I've ever used although my with another made by L'Acoustics. I've used other monitors by d&B which were very good.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

RCF NX 12-SMA or NX 10-SMA..pricey..maybe overkill for your needs, but compact, light weight and
they have served me well...just wanted you to know they are out there.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search