The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Venue Electrical Questions
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Venue Electrical Questions

A friend is building a new brew pub from the ground up. He plans on having a stage for frequent live bands. He asked these questions:

1) What is the ideal electrical setup for a small venue stage?

2) How many 20 amp breakers are needed for the average live band?

I would like to put together this info separately for the stage (band) and the venue sound system/lights.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Too vauge

Ideal? How about a separate breaker/circuit for everything you plug in? Probably not ideal for the budget.

The average live band?

You can do the whole thing off one 20A circuit. If you want a configuration that makes more sense, it would start with complete details about what will be on stage, what the sound system will use, and what lights will be installed. You can look at the DMX box and see how many lights they put on one circuit, 4,6, 8? Figure how many lights there will be to start and in the near future and divide by the number per circuit and you'll start getting an idea. How many amps, stage-boxes, and accessories on stage? Powered monitors or passive? You could put two amps or monitors per circuit, but accessories like tablets, personal mixers and stage boxes don't use much current. You might just separate them logically.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Let's be realistic...
I've never seen a small pub band that needed more than 2 or 3 - 20A breakers. (I'm talking, bands who bring their own pa and lights.) Most PA gear is becoming more efficient now-a-days and less demanding of amperes from the mains. I've already run my entire PA system and LED light show off of one 15 amp (110V) circuit. Even if the bands bring old-school gear with incandescent par cans, you usually can't fit more than 8 or so onto a tiny bar stage. Furthermore, the current draw from amplifiers is dictated by their overall volume levels. I wouldn't expect concert-level SPL in a coffee shop.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

A couple of 20 amp boxes goes a long way. If he expects larger productions then I would suggest a 50 amp 240 volt outlet and a small distro like the one Peavey offers. Keep the distro locked up until it's needed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you for the replies. Of course, I don't plan on doing any of this myself. I'm just gathering info to share with the owner and electrician in order to get it right from the start. I'll start looking for some details of what lights and amplifiers draw, and try to put it together that way. If anyone has a good source, please share. I would like to zero in on how is splits up......what the PA requires and what the band requires.

I will get more details about what the owner plans on getting in terms of the PA and lights, or if he's counting on the bands to bring that.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzie View Post
A couple of 20 amp boxes goes a long way. If he expects larger productions then I would suggest a 50 amp 240 volt outlet and a small distro like the one Peavey offers. Keep the distro locked up until it's needed.
How big is the stage? What size acts is he thinking of booking in?

40 amps would suffice in 90% of the situations but I would say that 3 20A 4plex outlets would be more than enough. 60 amps is a lot of power especially with newer class D amps that are more dynamic meaning more efficient. Also, the newer LED lighting consumes much less power that the traditional lights.

BTW, this guy should be thanked for his thinking. You don't know how many clubs have a single 15A duplex outlet and call it a day.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

At minimum I would put in a 32 amp 3 phase.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibourgal View Post
A friend is building a new brew pub from the ground up. He plans on having a stage for frequent live bands. He asked these questions:

1) What is the ideal electrical setup for a small venue stage?

2) How many 20 amp breakers are needed for the average live band?

I would like to put together this info separately for the stage (band) and the venue sound system/lights.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
A first step would be telling us what country you are in?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I am in the U.S.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibourgal View Post
I am in the U.S.
With a small club system it can run on one 15/ 20 amp circuit easy.

Lights now days are typically LED and easy on the electrical in a club.

4 separate circuits should be more then enough I would think.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Thanks again for the replies. Any thoughts on placement? We're trying to get it right the first time. Should we put 2 20A 4plex outlets behind the band and another 1 or 2 across the room for the sound board and lights? Should one be placed higher up for the lights?
I really appreciate the insight! Thanks!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

What about the electrician, why isn't he doing the research....or better yet, why isn't your friend using someone that experienced in this type of installation?

You getting info from random people on the internet that you will pass to your friend who will pass it on to his electrician does not sound like the most efficient way of getting it right the first time to me. Of all the different advise you've gotten so far, which one will you bring to your friend...?

You still haven't said what type of bands will play in the venue, and the type of and size of the PA and light systems that will be used....

Last edited by Samc; 1 day ago at 01:42 PM..
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Have the friend hire a professional.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search