The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Live sound and DJ where drugs/alcohol don't prevail?
Old 1 week ago
S21
Lives for gear

Ok, instead I'll have games where everyone has to try and smuggle a couple of tic-tacs in (if you forget we'll have some other kids selling up the back or in the toilets.)

Prizes for the person whose tic-tac lasts the longest under their tongue!

:-)

I'm not trying to be a prude, I'm just wondering if the connection is as inevitable as many think it is, and whether my behaviour has a negative or positive influence.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've been on tour for months now working with different bands playing all types of music in various parts of the world and can honestly say that I have not witnessed the wholesale use of drugs and alcohol. I do not know where you got the idea that wholesale illegal and irresponsible behavior are an inevitable part of the concert experience.

I've not seen anyone using illegal drugs at most of the concerts and festivals I've worked all year, and alcohol was consumed responsibly in almost every case. You are overreacting to a problem that does not really exist, and this panicky behavior is misplaced in my opinion.

Do you see a lot of abuse and irresponsible behavior when you go to concerts and festivals?
Old 1 week ago
S21
Lives for gear

No, but in the 90s a couple of people died at events I was at in Sydney. I did first aid on a girl in Melbourne who had a stroke due to a MDMA+whatever crud tablet. She had lost all strength on one side and said someone was cutting her head in half with a saw. I get that it wasn't the MDMA that got her, it was the "whatever crud".

I have also been on the scene at a few Saturday night road crashes where I have smelt alcohol or had people with "altered levels of consciousness" I attributed to drugs.

Internet threads can make it seem like I am more focused on this than I am. It was a casual question. I'm not the OP. I can think of (joking) ways to make the situation worse. I just asked if anyone had any ideas on how to make a situation better.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
I do not know where you got the idea that wholesale illegal and irresponsible behavior are an inevitable part of the concert experience.
I wouldn't describe it as illegal, and responsibility is subject to opinions. What I would say is there are many places where one would get the impression that wholesale use of alcohol seems to be an inevitable part of the concert economy.

This thread has explored some of the alternatives, which apparently includes concerts heavily funded by grants.

"CD" sales are in a death spiral, especially with younger generations. I heard a joke the other day about a platinum thumb drive. Festivals and concerts have been on the rise because there is a demand for "experience" and not just a recorded music product that our culture is saturated with a supply of.

Do you see a lot of concerts and festivals funded mostly by ticket sales? What about up and coming bands? What other sort of venues do they have to showcase their talents besides bars and clubs?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calneva View Post
I wouldn't describe it as illegal, and responsibility is subject to opinions. What I would say is there are many places where one would get the impression that wholesale use of alcohol seems to be an inevitable part of the concert economy.
Responsibility is not subject to opinion when the consummation of drugs and alcohol are concerned...because there are very strict legal guidelines regarding the use of both.

Some, or many places do not mean all places, and this can be different from one area to the next...Find the places and events that you're comfortable going to and go there. This is starting to sound like a crusade already.

There are MANY places where alcohol is not abused and most people behave responsibly.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S21 View Post
I just asked if anyone had any ideas on how to make a situation better.
Two questions; what is this "situation" that needs to be made "better"....and "Better" for who?
Old 1 week ago
S21
Lives for gear

Better is less harm. Better is less government regulation. Yesterday's injuries are today's regulations.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What do you think can and should be done...and by who?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

As a musician in the "party" segment of the industry, I'm about to quit because of alcohol sales being obviously the driving factor for our gigs, and because of the shameful music we have to play which if not asked by the venue then at last asked by the party people.

A couple of years ago, being an atheist hedonist by that time, I didn't see anything wrong with it. Since God opened my eyes I have come to see that I just can't keep doing this. I don't want to be part of that culture.

So, from my point of view and at least in the "party" segment of live music, yes, it's all about selling tons of alcohol and making the people have "fun". That defines a good band in that case.

Next week will be my last gig. No more party music, no more pop culture, no more being a platform for subjectivistic hedonism for the youth.
Old 1 week ago
Sober audience

I provide the sound system (for the DJ) at the annual ACS Relay for Life in my area.
I have been doing so for the past 10 years and have yet to see any drinking going on at this overnight event.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Pick your poison...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTD View Post
As a musician in the "party" segment of the industry, I'm about to quit because of alcohol sales being obviously the driving factor for our gigs, and because of the shameful music we have to play which if not asked by the venue then at last asked by the party people.

A couple of years ago, being an atheist hedonist by that time, I didn't see anything wrong with it. Since God opened my eyes I have come to see that I just can't keep doing this. I don't want to be part of that culture.

So, from my point of view and at least in the "party" segment of live music, yes, it's all about selling tons of alcohol and making the people have "fun". That defines a good band in that case.

Next week will be my last gig. No more party music, no more pop culture, no more being a platform for subjectivistic hedonism for the youth.
Why wait until next week...if you feel so strongly about it why haven't you stopped already? Do you earn money from these gigs...do you use it, or do you give it away to charity?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTD View Post
As a musician in the "party" segment of the industry...
What exactly is the party segment of the industry?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Why wait until next week... if you feel so strongly about it why haven't you stopped already? Do you earn money from these gigs...do you use it, or do you give it away to charity?
Those are valid questions.

I'll play next week because I already accepted that gig long time ago. So it's a trade-off between two evils. And I haven't stopped already because I was thinking about it and it's an important decision. I have invested a lot of money in equipment I probably won't need anymore and will be selling with high losses. I guess I was not sure if that was really a necessary step. Now I am.

And I did earn money with those gigs. Your question about what I do with that money is a valid one too. I hadn't thought about it. And the more I think about it the more complicated the answer gets.
In any case I think I'm only responsible for the wrong that I did or failed to prevent, knowing that it was wrong. But that would be already a lot of times in the last years, I guess.

That's a good question I'll have to answer.
Old 6 days ago
S21
Lives for gear

Quote:
What do you think can and should be done...and by who?
If I knew that, I wouldn't have asked. :-)

I have no silver bullets. I'm not going to stop entertaining people. You are right, most (by a large margin) people are sensible enough.

But a guy lying in his own vomit is not one of my success stories. I won't get a photo of that for next year's posters.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S21 View Post
If I knew that, I wouldn't have asked. :-)

I have no silver bullets. I'm not going to stop entertaining people. You are right, most (by a large margin) people are sensible enough.

But a guy lying in his own vomit is not one of my success stories. I won't get a photo of that for next year's posters.
The obvious response to this is simple and common sense you don't need "silver bullets"...maybe if you sold or gave alcohol and drugs to the guy lying in his vomit I could understand your comment about it not being your one of your success stories. I otherwise don't understand why that's about you.

I'm just concerned that this is actually about how we can control what other adults (legally) do with their lives based on the moral and religious beliefs of some people here. Produce events in line with your personal beliefs, and go to the events that agree with your politics and religion but leave others to live their lives as they see fit....there's no need for silver bullets, just common sense and tolerance.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search