The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone get a Soundcraft UI24R yet? Mixers (Digital)
Old 11th June 2017
Here for the gear

Anyone get a Soundcraft UI24R yet?

Hi,

After a happy relationship with a Soundcraft UI16 I decided to buy the new UI24R as it promised a number of features not available in the 16.

I know a fair few people had connectivity issues with their UI16 but mine behaved flawlessly for over a year. I did buy an external router as I didn't want to have any of the dropouts people had been experiencing but I had never seen them personally.

As I posted in the UI16 post, we did our first gig with the new desk on Friday. I only received the unit the previous Tuesday so had very little time to get to know it. I setup the LAN to be the same as the UI16 which made it easy to switch between the two units.

The UI24R behaves in the same way as the UI16 via a browser so if you know how to drive a 16 you'll be fine with a 24. I think Soundcraft have listened to all the complaints of the 12/16 and have gone a long way to improve things in the 24. The PSU is now internal with just a side mounted IDC power connector. There's two wifi antenna but I haven't used them at all as I still use my external router. The preamps have been redesigned (as has the whole unit) and to my aged ears sound really good. I fired up the 24 in my workshop and played some songs through from the USB stick I use in the 16. To me the sound seemed clearer and fuller. This is subjective so could be me having had a beer!

At the gig, I gave the vocalist's wife a 5 minute training session on the 24 and she mixed FOH for us. We have two tablets on stage to mix our foldback. She did a great job and we received a number of compliments on the sound quality.

I really like the way you can record all tracks to USB or a USB connected DAW. You have to use a USB stick with at least 20MBS write capability. We recorded a test song and then went FOH to mix it down as a band. I think this was the first time our vocalist said "oh I'm too loud" You can do a soundcheck with all the band present and ensure everyone is happy. You can also get the FOH sound correct before all the band has turned up - great if you have a drummer like mine. :-)

We recorded the whole gig and our guitarist has taken the stick to use in Sonar, just waiting to see what he turns up with.

All in all I'm very pleased with my UI24R a big improvement over the 16 but in my experience that was good too.

Regards,

Doug
Old 11th June 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks Doug

Yup, good review!
Old 11th June 2017
Gear Maniac

This is really encouraging. I love the interface of the Ui series and the fact it operates via a web browser, but I don't love the connectivity issues. My Ui-12 works about half the time with the internal hotspot and I've tried about 15 times to get my Ui-12 to connect to an external router but have never succeeded; Soundcraft only posts details on the settings but they don't give you enough details about the whole setup (no step by step directions for how to set up your router and find the Ui on the network). Someone posted step-by-step directions and I followed them to the letter but still no dice. I might just give up and get the Ui-24.
Old 11th June 2017
Lives for gear
I've had my Ui24R for a few weeks and have done 3 shows on it. I'm coming from a Behringer XR18, and before that, an A&H Qu-16. Overall I love it. The recording to a thumb drive is great. What's even cooler is you can actually record back to a 2 track with the same thumb drive while mixing down the tracks. I've done this several times with 18 tracks playing.

The audio quality of the Ui24R is superior to the Behringer. I thought it was psychology the first time I used it at a wedding. It just seemed crystal clear and defined, especially snare and kick drum, compared to what I'd been used to. I didn't say anything to anyone because I figure it was my wallet convincing my mind. The next show was a bar gig and my wife attended. After the first set she said "something is different" and I asked a good way? She said, yes, things were clearer an more defined. I had things set up like the XR18.

While I love the web based GUI, it is much slower to switch back and forth to if you're using other apps on your tablet. For instance, I have a teleprompter app I use for 2-3 songs during the night. When toggle from the prompter to back to the mixer there's a delay as it had to reload the GUI and connect. It does the same thing if you have your tablet screen off and wake it up. Not a huge deal, you just can't get instant access so reaction times to problems could be affected. You do get total flexibility with this GUI though. If your device supports a browser with web socket support, then it will work. I thought this would mean new life for my original Ipad, but no dice. I've not been able to find a browser it will runt that has web socket support.

Here are my complaints / missing features.

Audio player lacks crossfade support - While a built in audio player is a great feature, this one is hamstrung with limited capability. The biggest omission is crossfade support. Without this, it's limited to backing tracks and background dinner music where 3-4 seconds of silence is acceptable. It The playlist support is also very rigid. There's no reordering or adding songs. It's just a very basic player.

No midi (but does have “footswitch” controls) - doesn't mean much to me, but cheaper mixers, like the Behringer X-air series, has midi implementation for functions

Not as many DSP options (just 2 verbs, delay, chorus) - I find this acceptable, BUT I don't like, and don't understand, why there's no pre-delay function on the reverbs.

Can only get 10 channels visible at a time without needing to scroll, but does have 6 assignable views so you can at least break it down in usable ways

Some of the ports aren’t accessible if the mixer is racked (ethernet & USB). (Though you can wire before racking and leave them connected)

The internal router works well, but it's 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz... Not AND, it's OR. You can't have both at the same time. This could be limiting if you want 5 Ghz for stability in a hostile wifi environment, but need 2.4 for some devices that only have 2.4 wifi. For instance, if the band is controlling their own mixes and doing so with a cheap phone or tablet.
Old 14th June 2017
Gear Maniac
HDMI touchscreen enabled?

How about the HDMI touchscreen feature? On the 12/16, all you get is a Soundcraft logo screen. It appears that largish touchscreen monitors start at less than $200 and range up above $500 (US), so a combination of a Ui24R and a large touchscreen should total around $1200-1500.

If you can run the entire mixer from a hardwired large touchscreen in a 16:9 aspect ratio, that should put everything on a single screen without having to laterally scroll. No wi-fi issues, no dropouts; one cable, one large tablet that's wider and not as tall. What I see on my 16:9 7" Android tablet is one more channel strip than the 4:3 iPad, even if the Android is harder to use with my fingers. What I see on my old PowerBook G4 17" Wideboy (Ethernet or wi-fi) is fantastic, but I'm limited to mouse/pad control and not multi-touch.

Of course, it would be nice if there was an option to narrow the channel strips somewhat to fit more on the same screen. They look wider than necessary to my eyes as they are. The only issue would be the channel names, but they could be stacked, and there's always abbreviation.

So, anyone tried a big touchscreen with the 24?
Old 15th June 2017
Gear Head

The Ui24r only supports a few touchscreens at this time. I am not sure what the largest one is.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by higradeguy View Post
The Ui24r only supports a few touchscreens at this time. I am not sure what the largest one is.
As of the latest firmware update, the following screens are supported. I'm not sure what the numbers to the right of "Supported" mean.

Dell S2240T Supported 2149 2122
View Sonic TD2220 Supported 0408 3008
Asus vt207N Supported 222A 45
ACER T232HL Supported 6923 2149 2306
Dell S2240T-USA Supported 2575 8753
Dell P2418HT Supported "0424" 274C
Old 15th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by abzurd View Post
As of the latest firmware update, the following screens are supported. I'm not sure what the numbers to the right of "Supported" mean.

Dell S2240T Supported 2149 2122
View Sonic TD2220 Supported 0408 3008
Asus vt207N Supported 222A 45
ACER T232HL Supported 6923 2149 2306
Dell S2240T-USA Supported 2575 8753
Dell P2418HT Supported "0424" 274C
Prices (USD) per eBay:

Dell S2240T 21.5" $200-250
View Sonic TD2220 22" $190-270
Asus vt207N 19.5" $180-235
ACER T232HL 23" $270
Dell P2418HT 24" $270-360

Which seems to indicate that a Ui24R + big 16:9/10 touchscreen on an HDMI hardwired connection is about a $1300 proposition. If the software will scale to show the whole array (in other words, not just bigger channel strips, but all of them in the same window), this is a game-changer.

Even better would be an option to tile the edit and sends and meters (gains, etc) windows across the top while showing the mix below....
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Bump - How's it!

How's it going with the ui24. Current users still happy??

Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by davet View Post

I am. Another software update is supposedly only a few weeks away. At minimum it will add capacity for additional touch screen models. Not sure what features, if any, will be added.
Old 24th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzurd View Post
I am. Another software update is supposedly only a few weeks away. At minimum it will add capacity for additional touch screen models. Not sure what features, if any, will be added.
I purchased one about a month ago and I just love it.
I do use an external wireless router with it.
FB has a Souncraft UI24r page and there is lots of info and you can also vote
for additions in the firmware.
As an example in their list they ask if you would like a pink noise generator added.
Vote yes or no.

etc.
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

Facebook

I did find the facebook page. There are a few posts about problems, but many current users like the box.
Thanks
Old 24th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
I did find the facebook page. There are a few posts about problems, but many current users like the box.
Thanks
Many of the posts I have seen with people having issues are user error/configuration errors.

There are people who will not bother to read the online manual available for download.

Also, Soundcraft has many Youtube videos on the Ui24r operations.

Very nice.
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

You're probably right about the user error/configuration problems. Please keep posting your experience with updates and such. I need a new mixer and the ui24 fits the bill, but I have zero time to deal with boxes that don't work properly.

Thanks again,
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
I purchased one about a month ago and I just love it.
I do use an external wireless router with it.
FB has a Souncraft UI24r page and there is lots of info and you can also vote
for additions in the firmware.
As an example in their list they ask if you would like a pink noise generator added.
Vote yes or no.

etc.
Yep, I'm on the FB page regularly. Danny Olesh is a Harman project manager for the Ui24r and is a great resource on FB.
Old 25th July 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChico View Post
... If the software will scale to show the whole array (in other words, not just bigger channel strips, but all of them in the same window), this is a game-changer.

Even better would be an option to tile the edit and sends and meters (gains, etc) windows across the top while showing the mix below....
I just reviewed one of Soundcraft's videos on the Ui24R, and they seem to have added a scaling ("zoom") feature accessible from the three-bar settings logo in the upper right corner of the browser window. Just what I was asking about. IMHO, the channel strips are wider than they really need to be for those times when you want the big picture on one screen, and it appears that they can be resized to suit one's preferences. One of the very best features of this GUI is being able to watch all the meters side-by-side, even mid-song glancing down at the mic stand. Anything out of balance jumps out as a too-short or too-tall meter line. When I tell other sound techs who haven't used this kind of system that you essentially have every source on solo at the same time, their eyes get big...

Now, incorporate that scaling option into the Ui12/16 firmware as well.

One quibble with regard to another recently added feature: the blue glow that indicates fine-tuning mode is too small. My fingertip hides it completely on an iPad. Simply make it an inch or so larger vertically so it's visible other than immediately around the fader "knob".
Old 21st September 2017
Gear Head

I'm going to be using my new UI24R for a writing/demo-ing weekend that I'm doing with a band I've been playing with. I'm hoping that the UI can be the hub for all headphone monitor mixes as well as interface for the DAW. Does anyone know if you can use both live oriented functions like aux sends and DSP while also using it as an interface?
Old 21st September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwquig View Post
I'm going to be using my new UI24R for a writing/demo-ing weekend that I'm doing with a band I've been playing with. I'm hoping that the UI can be the hub for all headphone monitor mixes as well as interface for the DAW. Does anyone know if you can use both live oriented functions like aux sends and DSP while also using it as an interface?
There is a Soundcraft Ui24r FaceBook page were lots and lots of people tune in and ask questions just like you have. You can get a good answer there to your question from Ui24r users all over the world.
Old 30th September 2017
Gear Maniac

I am about to pull the trigger on a Ui24 for live sound, but I do have a question about the recording feature. Does it record in just record in stereo or is it individual tracks that can later be transferred to a DAW?

Also, I can't find anywhere the dimensions of the unit, primarily the depth as I want to buy a rack case for it.
Old 1st October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecruiser View Post
I am about to pull the trigger on a Ui24 for live sound, but I do have a question about the recording feature. Does it record in just record in stereo or is it individual tracks that can later be transferred to a DAW?

Also, I can't find anywhere the dimensions of the unit, primarily the depth as I want to buy a rack case for it.
You can record either the main stereo out or each individual track before any processing. You can also run it as an interface into your DAW. I don't know the exact dimensions but it's 4 rack units tall and very shallow.
Old 1st October 2017
Here for the gear

I had Ui16 but switched to UI24R in May. Very happy, i always liked my UI16, but ui24R is a big step forward: pres are very quiet and opensounding. I have used internal wifi, but mostly i run external one, i can set it higher, better visibility - longer range. I like multitrack recording, nearly every live i do i set up multitrack recording onto USB, you have to buy quick stick (40 MB/s writing speed is a must). I have done lot of live concerts and also some festivals, no problems. simple and straight workhorse.
I like VCA group spill function, it makes view groups very usable, i can make drum channel + room FX as one VCA group, and using spill function i can quickly jump from custom view screen to drums channels for adjustments and back again. FB group is really informative and Danny Olesh from Soundcraft keeping eye on it, very quick responses and good advising if you have something you didnot understand from manuals or just missed some hidden oportunities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plP-1xVmxwE for example is use of UI24R for mixing and recording blues festival. I later mixed recorded multitragk material at home for videoteam.
Old 28th October 2017
Here for the gear

I'm looking for a multitrack recording setup for location use that does not need a computer (i don't need to re-record individual tracks) but that can also work as multitrack usb interface at home.
From the soundcraft online demo the ui24r looks like a great solution.
It's a fair amount of money for me so just wanted to ask if anyone has any experiences on using the ui24r for both uses.
Thanks
Mark
Old 28th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Well, I got mine about two weeks ago, unpacked it, (BTW, I read the manual before I rec'd it), hooked it up and everything was fine, way cool. All of a sudden it no longer showed up on my wifi devices (iPad, phone, MacBook). No communications whatsoever. I did a network reset (more than a few times, just about wore out a paper clip) still nothing. I went to the users group and got all kinds of suggestions but nothing worked. By this time I was seriously going to put it on ebay (I mean it). I then hooked a monitor to the HDMI so I could get in. I then did a hard reset and still nothing. Then someone of the FB users forum gave me the number of Meagan Hill at SC who is the head tech for the product. I told her the situation and I could tell she was scratching her head. She then suggested I update the firmware and it final came up.

Ok, this worked, but I have to tell you I do not have a lot of confidence in the product at this time so my Yammy MGfx12 will go with me as a back up.

Also, the manual is very poorly written and even the tech said so, especially the networking side. The actual operation side isn't done to well either. It makes a lot of assumptions that you already have some experience with this type of gear.

In closing, at this time I am not overly impressed and it will take some problem free performance for a while to get my confidence up. JMHO YMMV
Old 28th October 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for the update. Our band is buying a Touchmix 16. The ui24 has a lot of features, but we don't have the time or patience to screw around with unreliable WIFI. It's enough to keep our wireless guitar rigs running.
Old 28th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Our band is buying a Touchmix 16. The ui24 has a lot of features, but we don't have the time or patience to screw around with unreliable WIFI. It's enough to keep our wireless guitar rigs running.
You can go Cat5 which is recommended if you're in a problem area. I was also told to not rely on the built in router, get a quality unit. JMHO
Old 28th October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Ive used mine a lot and actually used it on a few two day fests where I’d normally use my Impact. Not a single issue. This was using an airport express. I’ve used it stand alone and it has been very solid.
Old 24th November 2017
Here for the gear

ui24r problems

yeah i purchased it and have not been able to update the firmware so that i can use the touch screen monitor i purchased for it. has been very frustrating trying to get the issue fixed with the so called support from soundcraft.
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Nut

The HDMI on your screen would work,
It's a matter of adding the VID PID of your USB touch part to the firmware.

Support adds VID PID request and then it gets added in with the next release.
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by driedge View Post
yeah i purchased it and have not been able to update the firmware so that i can use the touch screen monitor i purchased for it. has been very frustrating trying to get the issue fixed with the so called support from soundcraft.
Have you tried the Facebook group? I find the support there to be quick and helpful.
Old 29th November 2017
Here for the gear

picked up my ui24r yesterday and getting everything set up. any suggestions on a good usb-b cable? i plan on having it hooked up to my computer most all of the time for use as an audio interface and don't want to cheap out on the usb cable. thanks guys
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search