The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone get a Soundcraft UI24R yet? Mixers (Digital)
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Nut

ANY USB A to USB B will work, best to get shielded ones.
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwquig View Post
Have you tried the Facebook group? I find the support there to be quick and helpful.
V2 Firmware has been released and it has 25 more screens added
Old 2nd February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppriit View Post
I had Ui16 but switched to UI24R in May. Very happy, i always liked my UI16, but ui24R is a big step forward: pres are very quiet and opensounding. I have used internal wifi, but mostly i run external one, i can set it higher, better visibility - longer range. I like multitrack recording, nearly every live i do i set up multitrack recording onto USB, you have to buy quick stick (40 MB/s writing speed is a must). I have done lot of live concerts and also some festivals, no problems. simple and straight workhorse.
I like VCA group spill function, it makes view groups very usable, i can make drum channel + room FX as one VCA group, and using spill function i can quickly jump from custom view screen to drums channels for adjustments and back again. FB group is really informative and Danny Olesh from Soundcraft keeping eye on it, very quick responses and good advising if you have something you didnot understand from manuals or just missed some hidden oportunities.
YouTube for example is use of UI24R for mixing and recording blues festival. I later mixed recorded multitragk material at home for videoteam.
Useful feedback. Thanks.

Great video
Old 31st March 2018
Here for the gear

Is anybody using this unit to play back backing tracks from a DAW (using the sound craft as the audio interface) alongside taking live inputs etc. I'm wondering in this set up what happens if the computer crashes? Does it effect the mixers set up or do the DAW channels just cut out and the the mixer continues as normal?

What I want to achieve is Ableton playing: Backing track L&R, Bass, Click through the Soundcraft and outputting to individual outputs for front of house and drummer. Then a back up computer running alongside with a focurite sound card outputting the same stems and being fed into additional channels on the sound craft kept muted until a problem arises (I'm hoping I can swop quickly by changing scenes??). This is obviously all undermined if any kind of rebooting of the unit is necessary etc.

Many thanks,

Mark.
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear
I only have a ui12, but I suspect the ui24 would just keep mixing on the last settings if you had a DAW computer crash. If your DAW computer was also being used to control the ui24, then a crash of the computer itself would mean you'd have to reboot your computer or otherwise get control of the ui12 to unmute the channels receiving input from the focusrite/2nd computer.

I suppose you could test it by doing something to make your DAW crash (overloading tracks, FX) and see how the ui24 handles it?
Old 3rd April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecruiser View Post
Well, I got mine about two weeks ago, unpacked it, (BTW, I read the manual before I rec'd it), hooked it up and everything was fine, way cool. All of a sudden it no longer showed up on my wifi devices (iPad, phone, MacBook). No communications whatsoever. I did a network reset (more than a few times, just about wore out a paper clip) still nothing. I went to the users group and got all kinds of suggestions but nothing worked. By this time I was seriously going to put it on ebay (I mean it). I then hooked a monitor to the HDMI so I could get in. I then did a hard reset and still nothing. Then someone of the FB users forum gave me the number of Meagan Hill at SC who is the head tech for the product. I told her the situation and I could tell she was scratching her head. She then suggested I update the firmware and it final came up.

Ok, this worked, but I have to tell you I do not have a lot of confidence in the product at this time so my Yammy MGfx12 will go with me as a back up.

Also, the manual is very poorly written and even the tech said so, especially the networking side. The actual operation side isn't done to well either. It makes a lot of assumptions that you already have some experience with this type of gear.

In closing, at this time I am not overly impressed and it will take some problem free performance for a while to get my confidence up. JMHO YMMV
Doesn't everyone update the firmware on a device like this as the very first thing when received?
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Nut
How is situation with latency on UI24R?
Old 3rd April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon71203 View Post
picked up my ui24r yesterday and getting everything set up. any suggestions on a good usb-b cable? i plan on having it hooked up to my computer most all of the time for use as an audio interface and don't want to cheap out on the usb cable. thanks guys
I like Audioquest. You can get some really expensive cables from them. I've never done any tests to compare the various price points, but use the cinnamon USB and HDMI cables.
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by midi510 View Post
Doesn't everyone update the firmware on a device like this as the very first thing when received?
Ok, that's the problem, at least for me anyway. I am a musician first and a sound tech a far second or third. There is nothing in the manual that tells you to update firmware first; how am I supposed to know this? BTW, I have given up on the manual as it is written (poorly I might add) with an experienced sound tech in mind and not a musician. It makes a lot of assumptions and doesn't even have a glossary of terms they use which to me is silly.

When I started doing my own sound years ago I bought a Mackie because the manual was so well written and very easy to understand. I was up and running in no time. If I fully understood the Ui24 I would write a real beginners manual.

I know there are people who took it out of the box and never opened the manual and had no problems, but these are also people who have used digital boards before.

This is all JMHO
Old 3rd April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecruiser View Post
Ok, that's the problem, at least for me anyway. I am a musician first and a sound tech a far second or third. There is nothing in the manual that tells you to update firmware first; how am I supposed to know this? BTW, I have given up on the manual as it is written (poorly I might add) with an experienced sound tech in mind and not a musician. It makes a lot of assumptions and doesn't even have a glossary of terms they use which to me is silly.

When I started doing my own sound years ago I bought a Mackie because the manual was so well written and very easy to understand. I was up and running in no time. If I fully understood the Ui24 I would write a real beginners manual.

I know there are people who took it out of the box and never opened the manual and had no problems, but these are also people who have used digital boards before.

This is all JMHO
I hear where you're coming from, but in today's technology laden society, it's not just audio gear, but any device that has factory programming and may have been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse somewhere that should be updated. A camera, for example. Anything that can be connected to a computer should be checked for updates when bought. I am surprised that you couldn't even connect, though.
Old 3rd April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitotique View Post
Is anybody using this unit to play back backing tracks from a DAW (using the sound craft as the audio interface) alongside taking live inputs etc. I'm wondering in this set up what happens if the computer crashes? Does it effect the mixers set up or do the DAW channels just cut out and the the mixer continues as normal?

What I want to achieve is Ableton playing: Backing track L&R, Bass, Click through the Soundcraft and outputting to individual outputs for front of house and drummer. Then a back up computer running alongside with a focurite sound card outputting the same stems and being fed into additional channels on the sound craft kept muted until a problem arises (I'm hoping I can swop quickly by changing scenes??). This is obviously all undermined if any kind of rebooting of the unit is necessary etc.

Many thanks,

Mark.
You wouldn't even need to change scenes, just set up a mute group with the focusrite channels & have your phone handy with the mute groups on screen. Unmute the backup & mute the primary.
Old 6th May 2018
Foh
Here for the gear

The ui24 is a clean sounding unit but built in wifi is completely unreliable. Two for two gigs fell flat on it face even while standing on stage next to it,,had to strike the unit and hook up my console both times,not what i signed up for at 1000,00$.will try external router,but now is another 200.00 and you lose ethernet hard line,lost time and patience, will never trust this on live shows again
Old 6th May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foh View Post
The ui24 is a clean sounding unit but built in wifi is completely unreliable. Two for two gigs fell flat on it face even while standing on stage next to it,,had to strike the unit and hook up my console both times,not what i signed up for at 1000,00$.will try external router,but now is another 200.00 and you lose ethernet hard line,lost time and patience, will never trust this on live shows again
Did you try changing WiFi channel to 5ghz? I had one of the first units out and had a few drops at first. After a firmware upgrade and WiFi channel change I’ve had almost no issues. You should be able to get a WiFi router for way less than $200 and if it has multiple ports you can still hardware. Give it another shot if haven’t yet done these things. Mine has been very good so far.
Old 20th May 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foh View Post
Almost all of us Ui12-16 users figured this out long ago. Connect the Ui via Ethernet cable to a reliable external dual-band router. I've been using my Ui16 with an old Netgear N600 (WNDR 34 1st Gen) for more than 18 months of more-than-weekly open mics and pro sound gigs without a hiccup. Used WNDRs are all over ebay at around $25, so I'm thinking of getting another one as a backup.

I've gone further and made several ways to mount the router where it has good line-of-sight. I found a pvc plastic-pipe coupler that, with a little trimming, is a perfect cradle to hold the WNDR upright, mounted one on the side of the big rollaround stacking tool box that I take to gigs, and epoxied a broken mic clip into another so it can go on top of a spare mic stand. That one also fits into a big spring clamp that can be used to mount it on a speaker tripod or satellite pole. A selection of Ethernet cables in various lengths (up to 100') set me back about $20, and an extender for the power-supply cable to the router was about $4.

The only issues I've encountered were once or twice when a powerful local wifi network hijacked my connection, but that's easily addressed with a channel change (and often simply selecting the Ui's wifi again). Use an app like wifi analyzer to check channels.

If you want hardwired Ethernet and an external router, simple. Just run a cable from one of the unused switch ports on the router to your computer. Remember, Ethernet-to-router connects to a switch port, not the yellow modem port, as one helpful helper did once. I put tape over the modem port after that incident.

I've even found that I can have devices logged into both the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands at the same time, with each having complete control. Just starting to play around with having multiple tablets in front of me at the same time to minimize lateral scrolling and repetitive toggling between functions.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone get a Soundcraft UI24R yet?-img_0202.jpg  
Old 20th May 2018
Gear Maniac
Temporary price drop on Ui24R

I just noticed that American Musical Supply has the Ui24R on sale until the end of June, a $100 instant rebate that drops the price to US $899, with a decent 12-month, zero-interest finance deal to boot. Not showing up at other retailers yet...UPDATE: Zzounds has the same price, so I wonder if this is a short-term promotional tease from Soundcraft or an adjustment.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I'm thinking of upgrading from my Behringer X18 to the Ui24R. I'm hoping for better audio quality. I use this as my home studio mixer. Running synths and drum machines, and hoping to multitrack into AUM on my iPad, as I do with my X18. I was a bit worried when I heard that I could only multitrack without any processing. I'd like to multitrack post Eq, Chorus, etc. Is this possible now? I might miss a few X18 effects, but hoping for less muddy sound, better preamps. Any opinions welcome...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
I'll maybe buy UI24R so i have a question for folks that already have device: Is there any minuses that you find on this device? Is there something missing that is standard in devices at this price range? What do you think about sound quality vs other devices? I checked videos and everything looks great but i want response from users. Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I would hold off buying until more information becomes available about Mackie's new dl16s ($699) and dl32s ($1299). They appear to be multi operating system mixers aimed squarely at competing with the UI and XR series. They are stage box/rack mount mixers with an efficient, compact case design more similar to the XR series, and they apparently have been working on changes to the master fader control software. It remains to be seem what Mackie has actually achieved, but they've had the opportunity to study the XR and the UI series and could be bringing an updated generation of wireless mixer. Competing manufacturers sometimes leapfrog each other's products...
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

using usb for audio interface

Hi, I m new here. I m thinking about picking up a ui24r. Now we use 2 zoom r24 for recording our band. It's a great tool and the quality is more than i d expected. But we are running out of tracks (now 16) for recording the band live. The ui24r has 22 regular inputs and 2 via usb for playback of mp3/wav. I was wondering if this usb can be used to connect a usb audio interfase. In that case the ui24r would have 2 more normal inputs. Anybody tried? Thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Does it have any options for adding hardware control surfaces? (PC or mobile app)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search