The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking at a few different mixers, under $2000
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
the qu, though simple is not particularly flexible and the features are poor.
How are the features poor?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by higradeguy View Post
Quote:
the qu, though simple is not particularly flexible and the features are poor.
They aren't...unless you are trying to use it for a purpose which requires something found only in more expensive consoles. So much criticism of gear arises from poorly informed choice/purchase and placing the fault on the equipment or the manufacturer is just a cop-out. Additionally, unattributed blanket statements such as that in the first quote serve no real purpose.

As said before, it's not the hammer, it's the carpenter. If you suck on a simple mixer, you'll suck just as much on a fancy desk.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Effects are really basic and routing is very rudimentary. This is a console that costs not far short of the Behringer X32. Eq is adequate and nice that you have 4 bands, but everything else is poorer. Lack of groups, DCA and two effects really doesn't cut it these days.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Lack of groups, DCA and two effects really doesn't cut it these days.
You are mistaken. Every Qu model save the Qu-16 has groups and for my use a 16 channel mixer really doesn't require them. ALL Qu models have DCA's and FOUR FX engines, the parameters of which are user editable to your taste.

Last edited by Wyllys; 6 days ago at 10:48 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Another vote for the Midas M32R. Very good sounding desk in a very small footprint. Expandable and very flexible. Sound quality is in another league in comparison to the Presonus.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

I want to reccommend m32r, because i've used them for a few live recording projects. But u alreasy bought impact so...
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

I thought that I stated I returned the impact after 3 of them failed. Bought the m32r. Bought a 6u rack for it. Have it all wired and ready to roll with snakes plugged in and ready roll out of the bottom.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

I really did like the impact and found the routing and channel strips to be much more flexible.

Had a great sound.

While I like the m32r I thought the impact waa quicker to navigate. Or perhaps as a new user it was very intuitive to jump into out of the gate.

Still feel like I am learning where everything is on the m32r.

But it does sound nice as well.

Big difference in sound coming from the PreSonus board. Not such a big difference in sound coming from the impact. But it's still there.

If people say they can't hear preamps and ad/da converters.... I don't know... I noticed a difference in sound quality immediately!

I also think the only reason I am into music is because of what I can pick up with my ears and the mathematics involved. I am not a natural and am pretty sure my right brain is dormant. ;P
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmp22684 View Post
I really did like the impact and found the routing and channel strips to be much more flexible.

Had a great sound.

While I like the m32r I thought the impact waa quicker to navigate. Or perhaps as a new user it was very intuitive to jump into out of the gate.

Still feel like I am learning where everything is on the m32r.

But it does sound nice as well.

Big difference in sound coming from the PreSonus board. Not such a big difference in sound coming from the impact. But it's still there.

If people say they can't hear preamps and ad/da converters.... I don't know... I noticed a difference in sound quality immediately!

I also think the only reason I am into music is because of what I can pick up with my ears and the mathematics involved. I am not a natural and am pretty sure my right brain is dormant. ;P
The Impact is easier to get a handle on at first. For the M32R, once you get it setup, and get your workflow smooth complete with the assign buttons (all 8), I think you will find that the M32R is quite easy to run.

I agree that the setup is complex. Fortunately, there are lots of Youtube videos to help you out.

As far as sound quality goes, I think that there is a definite quality difference between the Presonus and either the Impact or M32R.

There is a difference in sound between the M32R and the Impact as well; however, I wouldn't classify one as better than the other, they are simply not exactly the same. Anyone that can't get a great sounding mix on either of these mixers would be hard pressed to convince anyone that it was the mixer.

I look forward to your feedback as you get familiar with the M32R. If it were around when I bought my X32 Rack, I would likely have gotten it instead. At the time I really wanted an X32 Producer .... but the lack of scribble strips turned me off :(
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmp22684 View Post
I thought that I stated I returned the impact after 3 of them failed. Bought the m32r. Bought a 6u rack for it. Have it all wired and ready to roll with snakes plugged in and ready roll out of the bottom.
Oops sorry. I goes straight to page 3 of this topic. Once u get used to it, everything is no problem
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
The Impact is easier to get a handle on at first. For the M32R, once you get it setup, and get your workflow smooth complete with the assign buttons (all 8), I think you will find that the M32R is quite easy to run.

I agree that the setup is complex. Fortunately, there are lots of Youtube videos to help you out.

As far as sound quality goes, I think that there is a definite quality difference between the Presonus and either the Impact or M32R.

There is a difference in sound between the M32R and the Impact as well; however, I wouldn't classify one as better than the other, they are simply not exactly the same. Anyone that can't get a great sounding mix on either of these mixers would be hard pressed to convince anyone that it was the mixer.

I look forward to your feedback as you get familiar with the M32R. If it were around when I bought my X32 Rack, I would likely have gotten it instead. At the time I really wanted an X32 Producer .... but the lack of scribble strips turned me off :(

Interesting how different people have different views of the same things.

I've had positive experiences with the Soundcraft and like the intuitive layout. The Presonus has been a positive experience for me too and is easy to use quickly. As for the X32 and the M32, I find them cumbersome to use unless you have them pre-configured, nothing is less Thant least two button pushes and that makes navigation a pain. In saying that the M32 is marginally better, I can't discern any noticeable improvement in sound quality over the X32 and I've come across people with build quality issues on the M32, IMHO for its extra price it's just not worth it, pay a little extra and get something that is really an upgrade. Often with gigs I come across a lot of X32's and occasional M32's, I can see where they fit in the market and they can do the job, just can't get to love them.
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting how different people have different views of the same things.

I've had positive experiences with the Soundcraft and like the intuitive layout. The Presonus has been a positive experience for me too and is easy to use quickly. As for the X32 and the M32, I find them cumbersome to use unless you have them pre-configured, nothing is less Thant least two button pushes and that makes navigation a pain. In saying that the M32 is marginally better, I can't discern any noticeable improvement in sound quality over the X32 and I've come across people with build quality issues on the M32, IMHO for its extra price it's just not worth it, pay a little extra and get something that is really an upgrade. Often with gigs I come across a lot of X32's and occasional M32's, I can see where they fit in the market and they can do the job, just can't get to love them.
The soundcraft PEQ on the channel strip is much better than the M32's/X32's. Fortunately, I have grown to love adjusting the PEQ graphically on a tablet where it is easier to position and pinch the bands.

With the fader spill feature, the M32R can show 16 channels at a time. Before that, the limitation of only 8 at a time was indeed a bother.

I suspect that preferences between the two consoles vary depending on the use case and the relative experience of each person on each console.

Both are (IMO) pretty good choices.

As for the sound quality difference between an M32 and X32, I agree. The real reason you might want to put out for the more expensive M32 is the better faders.

Between the X32 Producer and the M32R, the addition of LCD scribble strips makes the choice pretty easy IMO.
Old 53 minutes ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
The soundcraft PEQ on the channel strip is much better than the M32's/X32's. Fortunately, I have grown to love adjusting the PEQ graphically on a tablet where it is easier to position and pinch the bands.

With the fader spill feature, the M32R can show 16 channels at a time. Before that, the limitation of only 8 at a time was indeed a bother.

I suspect that preferences between the two consoles vary depending on the use case and the relative experience of each person on each console.

Both are (IMO) pretty good choices.

As for the sound quality difference between an M32 and X32, I agree. The real reason you might want to put out for the more expensive M32 is the better faders.

Between the X32 Producer and the M32R, the addition of LCD scribble strips makes the choice pretty easy IMO.
The "better" faders on the M32 have caused owners more than a few problems. A local theatre have replaced several within 18 months of buying theirs.

I would further add, that faders on a digital console should not be a problem unless they stop working. As an aside, the faders on an SD9 feel dreadful to use.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search