The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Intermittent noise in monitor mix
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Intermittent noise in monitor mix

Hey everyone,

Having a weird issue with my monitors. I'm ising EV TX1152 FM, I have five of them, 4 down stage with two in the center daisy chained together. I have 2 Crown 6002's powering them.

Recently I had a performer report a distorted noise coming from one of the center monitors, I go to the stage to hear it and the noise has gone away, never heard again that night. Two nights later, another performer mentioned it at first, then it went away again. This has happened maybe 3-4 more times over the past couple of weeks. Every time it happens when signal is first introduced to the speakers, and then goes away before I can get to the stage to hear anything. This is a small venue, and FOH is maybe 30 ft away from the stage.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions to try to fix this. The venue is also part restaurant, and located in the middle of a desert, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of sand inside the speaker, could it just need to be cleaned out? Anyone have any tips on the best way to go about that without damaging the speakers.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I'd first try plugging a cd or mp3 player into the board with some bass/kick heavy music and blasting the center monitors with it. If it's a speaker problem, it really should show up under those conditions.

Both times, the report was that only one of the two center monitors was making the noise - if the two in the center are daisy chained together, but only one of then is making the noise, it pretty much has to be the monitor itself (unless the one making the noise is on the far end of the daisy chain, in which case it could possible be that last speaker cable, or the parallel jack on the previous monitor)

I doubt that sand in the voice coils or horn diaphragms coils would cause an effect as intermittent as you describe, unless it has already worn through a coil wire (in which case it's too late to clean it out)

I woudl suggest swapping the monitor with one that is not front center and seeing if the problem moves, or stays in the front. this will confirm if one monitor needs work, or its some other problem.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply. That's a good idea to try some music through those, the owners hate when I do that kind of stuff because the place is always full of customers, but I may just have to give it a try.

So also, last night, probably not even 30 minutes after I posted this topic, my center monitors went out during the opening act's set! This time the problem was not intermittent, and after pushing through the crowd I grabbed the cable coming from the amp, and both monitors kicked on, gave it a little wiggle, they both cut in and out, then I moved that cable over to the other monitor, and since they were both still chained together, same thing, the monitors would cut in and out as I moved the cable around. So I'm thinking "Great! found the problem". It was an acoustic night so I wasn't using the drum wedges, so I was able to swap the mixes and the rest of the night ran without a problem.

So I'm thinking it's the cable running from the amp to the speaker. After the show, however, I go to test my theory, and plug the cable back in for that mix, and no amount of twisting or wiggling that cable would get it to cut in and out again.

I'm thinking I may just replace that cable anyways, and see what happens.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejonbee View Post
Thanks for the reply. That's a good idea to try some music through those, the owners hate when I do that kind of stuff because the place is always full of customers, but I may just have to give it a try.

So also, last night, probably not even 30 minutes after I posted this topic, my center monitors went out during the opening act's set! This time the problem was not intermittent, and after pushing through the crowd I grabbed the cable coming from the amp, and both monitors kicked on, gave it a little wiggle, they both cut in and out, then I moved that cable over to the other monitor, and since they were both still chained together, same thing, the monitors would cut in and out as I moved the cable around. So I'm thinking "Great! found the problem". It was an acoustic night so I wasn't using the drum wedges, so I was able to swap the mixes and the rest of the night ran without a problem.

So I'm thinking it's the cable running from the amp to the speaker. After the show, however, I go to test my theory, and plug the cable back in for that mix, and no amount of twisting or wiggling that cable would get it to cut in and out again.

I'm thinking I may just replace that cable anyways, and see what happens.
Most likely the cable or a loose contact on the jack ( if the're 1/4") IME , unless they are completely recessed, the speaker sockets on monitors take a lot of stress form the plugs being repeatedly hit when people are moving
the monitors (or moving other gear near them) or from being hit by musicians feet.
Old 1 day ago
KEL
Lives for gear

ahhh, the phantom NL4 cable gremlin. I've had that. Try some contact cleaner on the NL4 jacks too.

Good monitors. I do shows with Six of them every summer. Bands always love them. Not convenient to plug into
Old 2 hours ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the responses. I changed the NL4 cable running from the amp to the monitor and that seems to have fixed the issue.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search