The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Allen & Heath Qu-SB compared to Soundcraft Ui24r
Old 11th December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaCali View Post
Update: I bought a Ui24R in early October and have used it for a few shows. It has performed flawlessly. Easy to use and easy to get a great sounding mix. Today I was using it a a gig with a buddy of mine who owns a Qu-Pac. After the show he started telling me how much he likes the Ui24R over his Qu-Pac and how he wants to sell his Qu-Pac and get a Ui24R. I must admit, I loved the Qu-Pac when he got it, but after using the Ui24R I strongly prefer the Soundcraft interface. Of course things like more input channels, built in wireless, and Automatic Feedback Suppression make it even more awesome. Sorry A&H, but Soundcraft appears to be the clear winner in this product category.
A&H (and Presonus, probably others) left the market up for grabs by failing to properly support Android and sometimes Windows. You shouldn't need to use a 3rd party app to control a digital mixer in this day and age, if one is even offered. They failed to make a lot of buylists by going all-Apple. Now they're WAY behind as we have device-universal boxes that can be controlled by pretty much any old equipment. I'll always be a big Mixwiz fan though and I'm rooting for A&H to come roaring back with something new and cool.

Yamaha is similar in failing to continue to develop their digital GUI/workflow after bringing so much to the table so early in the game.
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

any product that only supports iOS is a shortcoming in my opinion.. Apple love nothing more than to ditch support for products after short periods and only fools get drawn to rebuying the same thing for no benefits.

furthermore any mixer that doesnt provide more than one method of interfacing and controlling it is also a fail, IMO. I love A&H gear but I don't think they've gotten the small format digital mixer category right yet..
Old 3rd July 2018
Gear Addict

Thought I'd update this thread now that I have over 9 months with the Ui24R and Soundcraft has released some significant firmware updates. Bottom line, I'm still very happy with the unit and would buy it again.

In Post #7 , OneEng does a nice pro/con analysis of several digital mixer options. The cons OneEng lists for the Ui24R are now mostly addressed by firmware updates:

Con's
It isn't out for review in the wild (obviously that was going to change)
No off-line editor (added with latest firmware - you can use the web simulator and save shows to load on your unit)

No channel expansion through another stage box - still true, 20 pre-amps is all you get.
No external IEM mix station capabilities (other than the phone app) - still true, but the phone/tablet app works great

Limited routing capabilities (this has improved with firmware)
Limited functions on the channel processing (eq, de-ess, comp, gate, reverbs, delays....other than that you can use the DAW interface to do anything you want, assuming the latency is acceptable)
No matrix mixes (added with latest firmware)

I think the biggest drawback for this box is no channel expansion - which for some is a non starter, and for others a don't care. I got this mixer for shows where I needed to run sound while performing, and for small to medium shows were I was the sound guy and needed a portable sound system. The lack of expansion capability or dedicated monitor mix units is a non issue for me in these applications.

The built in WiFi has been great. I did replace the stock antennas with higher gain units (after I broke a factory antenna). I use 5GHz to avoid congestion on the 2GHz band, and connections have been solid in every environment I've used the Ui24R.

The multitrack recording is surprisingly good. I've recorded live shows that sounded like studio recordings, which I think says volumes for the sound quality of the unit. Only time I ever had an issue was when I didn't leave enough space on the USB drive. The drive ran out of space and the file couldn't be closed properly so it was unusable. This had no impact on the live show and was total user error on my end.

The AFS works surprisingly well and is quick and easy to setup. Awesome feature, esp when you are dealing with multiple acts or you are playing in the band while running sound. It quickly becomes a "why doesn't every mixer have this?" feature.

Running the "Big Desktop" mode with a larger high res display (laptop) greatly improves the workflow and minimizes jumping in and out of various screens - a huge help. I have yet to try sync'ing multiple displays, but I'm sure that helps too.

Bottom line I think all the options out there today offer great sound, flexible processing, and solid hardware. I think the Ui24R nails it for workflow and ease of use for musicians trying to run sound from stage and for portable systems that don't require more than 20 physical mic/line inputs.
Old 23rd September 2018
Here for the gear

I currently own the Ui16...I love it! The interface is great, easy to use, ansd best of all I can record directly from mixer. I agree with the cooments on the built in wifi- it is terrible. After I purchased a strong external router; disabled the built in Wifi...I have had ZERO connection issues! I have owned this unit for about 3 years now and am bery happy with the purchase, and get many great commments on the sound. I use QSC speakers, EV monitors, I-Pad, sometimes HP touch screen laptop, iPhone, via a Nighthawk 2.4 / 5 router. Mainly used in venues of 250+ people, with multiple singers on stage. I love the fact that I can control the soundtracks directly from my iPad. Looking into purchasing the new Ui 24.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I love everything about the UI24r.... except for the effects.
I find it very hard to get any sort of nice reverb to work without feeding back.
I never had this problem with my old QU16.
I also have a Midas MR18 which I'm considering switching to. As soon as I plug that desk in, everything comes to life. I can push my reverbs and although they are not known for being the most amazing effects, they sound a million times better than the UI24. I can't understand it because nobody else has this issue. I wonder is it something I'm doing within the software... I'm running the most recent update and I've had a couple of professional engineers attempt to mix the band on the Soundcraft. Both of them came back with the same insights.... that as soon as you can start to hear the reverbs, they start to get nasty and feed back.
Any thoughts or suggestions most welcome! How do you get a lush deep reverb with this desk... is it even possible?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylove View Post
I love everything about the UI24r.... except for the effects.
I find it very hard to get any sort of nice reverb to work without feeding back.
I never had this problem with my old QU16.
I also have a Midas MR18 which I'm considering switching to. As soon as I plug that desk in, everything comes to life. I can push my reverbs and although they are not known for being the most amazing effects, they sound a million times better than the UI24. I can't understand it because nobody else has this issue. I wonder is it something I'm doing within the software... I'm running the most recent update and I've had a couple of professional engineers attempt to mix the band on the Soundcraft. Both of them came back with the same insights.... that as soon as you can start to hear the reverbs, they start to get nasty and feed back.
Any thoughts or suggestions most welcome! How do you get a lush deep reverb with this desk... is it even possible?
Yeah, that makes no sense. What's feeding back... the monitors or FOH? Without it being unlistenable, reverb used in FOH shouldn't ever cause feedback unless you're doing something very wrong such as putting the mains behind the band.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzurd View Post
Yeah, that makes no sense. What's feeding back... the monitors or FOH? Without it being unlistenable, reverb used in FOH shouldn't ever cause feedback unless you're doing something very wrong such as putting the mains behind the band.
No.... there are no monitors on stage. We are all on in ears, and we have no backline (except a drum kit).
The mains are always in front of the band!
Although it seems unlikely, I genuinely am starting to wonder if there's an issue with my unit.
Maybe I should make a youtube video of the issue, and post it here and on the UI24 Facebook group.
I'm not ruling out user error at all!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylove View Post
Although it seems unlikely, I genuinely am starting to wonder if there's an issue with my unit.
If there's a store near you that offers rentals, maybe you could rent one for a weekend and see if it has the same problem.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaCali View Post
In Post #7 , OneEng does a nice pro/con analysis of several digital mixer options. The cons OneEng lists for the Ui24R are now mostly addressed by firmware updates:

Con's
It isn't out for review in the wild (obviously that was going to change)
No off-line editor (added with latest firmware - you can use the web simulator and save shows to load on your unit)

No channel expansion through another stage box - still true, 20 pre-amps is all you get.
No external IEM mix station capabilities (other than the phone app) - still true, but the phone/tablet app works great

Limited routing capabilities (this has improved with firmware)
Limited functions on the channel processing (eq, de-ess, comp, gate, reverbs, delays....other than that you can use the DAW interface to do anything you want, assuming the latency is acceptable)
No matrix mixes (added with latest firmware)

Bottom line I think all the options out there today offer great sound, flexible processing, and solid hardware. I think the Ui24R nails it for workflow and ease of use for musicians trying to run sound from stage and for portable systems that don't require more than 20 physical mic/line inputs.
[/quote]

Thanks for the update and the kind reference

Since my post, I would add the following:

The Ui24 has been out for some time now and the general consensus is that it is the best sounding mixer in this class. I thought I read somewhere that the latest firmware allows chaining 2 units together to increase channel count (or that it is going to be in a future release). The direct to USB multi-channel recording is also best in class.

The post above by BennyLove is the first one I can remember where anyone has complained about anything sound quality related on the Ui24. Everyone that I know who has them (including Abzurd) has nothing but good things to say about the sound quality. Most of them have had experience with one or two of the competing products in this class to directly compare them to as well.

The only complaint I have about multi-track recording is that you find that that super inspired riff you decided to play throughout a well known song frequently sounds like crap when you play it back and are no longer in that jamming moment It is hard on the ego for sure!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
If there's a store near you that offers rentals, maybe you could rent one for a weekend and see if it has the same problem.
Good idea.
I'm pretty sure it's either user error or my unit, because otherwise there would be more complaints about the sound of the FX.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search