The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Portable router solution for ipad control? Mixers (Digital)
Old 18th January 2017
Here for the gear

Portable router solution for ipad control?

Hey all-

Currently combing the market to find a good router to purchase that I can bring to gigs that require iPad control over the console. First one I ordered (TP Link TL-WR940N) is massive in size! Looking for something I can throw in a laptop bag without it eating too much space.

Apple's Airport series has done me well in the past, but the price feels high...

Any recs? Thanks!
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Head

Airport express. Great range and never had a dropout
Old 18th January 2017
Here for the gear

I am by no means an expert, but I've had zero problems with an AirportExpress.
Bought it (relatively) cheap used on E(vil)bay.

d.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Pretty much "any router that works" unless you have any specific requirements.

A used router from ebay should do the job at low cost. As you've already learnt, have a look at ergonomics too.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear
The TP link nano router thing is fine, otherwise the airport express gets good reviews (I own and use both regularly), its probably worth getting a router that works in the 5ghz spectrum as you are less likely to suffer from interference issues up there than you are in 2.4ghz
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

I recommend against buying used routers. #1 reason people sell them is because they have to reset them too often. Not good for our purposes.

I also find routers to be more stable at 2.4GHz than 5GHz, and 5GHz has less range. 2.4GHz often has more competition, but if you crank up the juice it overpowers the noise resulting in huge range. Either way, Amped Wireless makes routers that have 2.4GHz and 5GHz amplifiers on each antenna. I'm currently using an RTA1750, kicks butt though it might be too big for you. The R20000G packs a good wallop too, should be small enough. I've also used a TP-Link TL-ANT2414 panel antenna, focuses the output of one antenna into a 30 degree conical beam with 14dB more output (compared with omni), works beautifully.

Airport Express does a good job and is tiny, but you may soon regret having only one LAN port and no antenna to upgrade. It also has Airplay so you can choose music on your iPad and it plays through the router, which is real convenient until you take the iPad to the crapper and it's dead air while you finish your Sudoku
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlan121 View Post
The TP link nano router thing is fine, otherwise the airport express gets good reviews (I own and use both regularly)
Was quite tempted by the TP link nanos - is the range decent on them? I assumed that, as travel routers, they might be a little weedy. Also not ideal to have only a single ethernet port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2SPL View Post
I recommend against buying used routers. #1 reason people sell them is because they have to reset them too often. Not good for our purposes.
Not so much in the UK. As every new broadband provider almost always sends you a router, people end up with quite fully working, but unwanted, routers. I've picked up good ones this way.
Old 19th January 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies! Seeing a concensus that most of the routers being recommended are in the $100-140 range.

Is there anything in the $20-50 range worth my time? Asus or TP Link? Typically I'm not opposed to spending the money, but the reality is this thing's not going to get a ton of use...
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear
The tp link nano router is as cheap as it gets and works fine for most situations (obviously, it's not going to give a connection from one end of an arena to the other, but I've used them in plenty of reasonably big places (bloomsbury ballroom, various football stadium concourses, more hotel ballrooms than I care to remember) and never run into significant range issues (and you can always tape it to a mic stand to get it over peoples heads for line of sight)
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Head
I run an A&H Qu-SB with an iPad Air 2 through a cheap, small and reliable Dodocool AC750 router (around 20€ on eBay).
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear
I have a TP link nano that has worked fine for me in smaller venues with about 250 people around. It is really small. You might find a router with a built in power supply more convenient. TP makes one of those, too.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm looking for a very small compact router myself. Ideally I'd love something that is the size of the TP-Link Nano but is rechargeable so no need for power supply or mains leads. I haven't found anything yet though.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Powered.html#!

The Nano can be powered by usb connection. I use it with my Soundcraft ui12 and power it from one of the usb ports to avoid having another walwart.

This is the one that has the built in 110v plug. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ireless_n.html

110v plug, usb power port, and 2 Ethernet ports: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ch=Criteo&ap=y
Old 20th January 2017
Here for the gear

^ all great recommendations, thanks!

One final question:

Is a router's speed (150mbps vs. 300mbps vs. 450 etc) a relevant factor? I'm inclined to assume that the actual amount of data involved in making a fader move or whatever from an iPad app to a router is small enough that it makes no difference, but curious to hear if a larger router speed affects performance.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear
I've been using the TP Nano to control a Soundcraft ui12 over wifi with both windows and android tablets. IMO, it's fast enough. Ease of setup, connection reliability and signal strength are more important than data speed for this application. I have never used it with an apple device so I can't say how well it plays with an Ipad. You might want to specifically search for any issues other Ipad users have encountered with a particular router before you buy it. The only issue I had was I didn't set up the lease time correctly and it kept disconnecting about an hour into a show until I set the lease time correctly.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
I've been using the TP Nano to control a Soundcraft ui12 over wifi with both windows and android tablets. IMO, it's fast enough. Ease of setup, connection reliability and signal strength are more important than data speed for this application. I have never used it with an apple device so I can't say how well it plays with an Ipad. You might want to specifically search for any issues other Ipad users have encountered with a particular router before you buy it. The only issue I had was I didn't set up the lease time correctly and it kept disconnecting about an hour into a show until I set the lease time correctly.
ideally, you would want to set all your IP's statically anyway, less chance of DHCP being weird, and no chance of the router deciding to put the wireless clients on a separate subnet to the wired connection.
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

I picked up one of the TP-Link Nano routers with the mains plug built into it today :-

300Mbps Wi-Fi Pocket Router/AP/TV Adapter/Repeater - TP-Link

I tried it on a gig tonight with my Allen & Heath QU-PAC and iPad. The router worked perfectly never had any issues all night with an audience of around 100 in a large old stone church.
It's early days yet and I need to try it in a wide variety of scenarios but tonight it worked flawlessly!
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

+! on the airport or airport express depending on how many ports you need. I needed 2 physical ports (one for my DBX DriveRack and one for my A&H Qu-16) so I bought a used airport off amazon.com.

Trust me, I've tried multiple routers and never had the reliable results I've had with the airport. Some routers just don't like to be not connected to the internet and no matter how you configure them they just won't work right.

I finally bit the bullet and paid a little extra for the airport and wish I would have saved my money and frustration early on. Nothing worse than being at a gig and the wireless goes out and you are hard resetting it and connecting over unsecured and trying to make it work...not fun.
Old 25th February 2017
Lives for gear

I tried out the TP-Link Nano Router in a larger venue tonight (400 seater hall). The hall had dining tables out for a ball so there was only space for around 200 at the tables. I thought this would be quite a good test as the hall was pretty large and there was a reasonable amount of people at the event.
I have to say I'm really impressed with this tiny router! I didn't encounter any dropouts all night right a the very back of the venue! Based on my experience from last night I feel pretty confident to use this router on pretty much all our indoor gigs. I'll bring my bigger dual band router as a backup and for outdoor gigs but so far I can recommend this little TP-Link Nano router!
Old 25th February 2017
Gear Addict

for my mobile touch osc needs I use one of these
Buy Xiaomi Mi WiFi Router Mini Black in the biggest Mi online store | Xiaomi-Mi.com

only £15 and runs from portable battery back or usb.. (micro usb)

Stable & fast & tiny also has 2 x switch ports & a wan port if needed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search