The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midas MR18!? Behringer XR18?? Mixers (Digital)
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Just noticed the M-Air app for the Midas MR12 and MR18 is now available to download from the App Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/m-air/id1171110774?mt=8
Indeed they are. I just updated. The Midas and Behringer apps are identical in function, with just the "theme" different. I much prefer the look of the Behringer app.

From 5 minutes of playing around it looks like everything is there. There are now mute groups and you can save and recall snapshots.

One gripe though is they did away with being able to see all 16 channels at once, which is a shame. Having a full meter bridge with the fader right next to it was the main reason I put up with the half-baked ios app to begin with. It now has a "layer" button that gives 4-5 preset views, with two being channels 1-8 and 9-16. I don't understand why they didn't keep a 1-16 view, but it's a bummer.
Old 8th February 2017
Here for the gear
I just saw it on the Thomann site for 695 euro's (MR18) thats 3 euro's cheaper then the XR18 air from Behringer

https://www.thomann.de/nl/midas_mr_18.htm
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzurd View Post
I don't understand why they didn't keep a 1-16 view, but it's a bummer.
Can't you customize a layer to 16 channels like you can with the Android app?
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuifan1 View Post
Maybe, but if so, I didn't see how. I'll have to play around when I get home tonight.
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuifan1 View Post
Remember that the Android and iPad apps are completely different, and from different authors, so never assume that a feature available in one is available in the other.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear
The folks over at the "B" forum are complaining that the "narrow view" is gone. So, while there might be user layers, still not sure, there's little point to them if you can only display 8 channels at a time.
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
Remember that the Android and iPad apps are completely different, and from different authors, so never assume that a feature available in one is available in the other.
nothing assumed, just asking if it is. But as Abzurd pointed out one of the mods on the other forum has stated categorically that it's not possible. Seems strange given the huge power of that function in Android.
Old 19th February 2017
Gear Nut

Android can easily have all faders on one screen and the layout can be changed.

https://youtu.be/stMqM3EyLRw
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear
^Initially, I found myself put off by the default screen in Android not realizing that I could easily customize what I see by using layers. After customizing, I'm really liking the Android app.

and then there's the mixing station pro android app which some other folks really seem to like which adds more customization.

And...the new MR12 is available for $349 preorder. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...C&A=details&Q=
Old 29th April 2017
Here for the gear

The Mr18 is out..
https://www.thomann.de/nl/midas_mr_1...+Mr18_407518_0
And seriously thinking about buying one.
A couple of questions..
As fare as i can find it seems the mr18 has the same preamp as the M32.. And that is the same preamp as the XL4 & Heritage 3000..
Am I wrong??
A Bi-directional USB 2.0-interface 18-18 with onboard effects pre-DAW and 16 Midas Pres voor € 899 sounds to good to be true.. If we're talking about the same pres as the xl48..
could it compares to a RME or UA Apollo? with "real" Midas pres and the onboard effects you possibly could achieve the same kind of quality for half the $.. in theory..
Or am I delusional?

Last edited by davidbonsels; 29th April 2017 at 08:11 PM..
Old 1st May 2017
Gear Head

Latest news : Ford Buys Ferrari !!!!!!

Later , Ford gets a new Ford Focus out on the market , saying the motor is now "Ferrari designed" , the same design as in a F40 but 100K less expensive.

Then , there is a Focus out on the market with a Ferrari sticker on it.
Ferrari starts to forget about it's upper scale market and put cheaper , more affordable cars on the market.

I wonder if that Focus with the Ferrari sticker on it has a Ferrari motor in it ....... my guess in not.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear
There is a first impression user comparison in the x air forum. He says quieter preamps, higher output and neutrik connectors on the mr18.
https://forum.music-group.com/showth...arison-to-XR18

I noticed the mr12 price went from $349 to $449 but there's a sale on the xr18 for $539.99. Would seem like a no brainer to just buy the xr18?
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Love my xr18, and don't have much bad to say about it (if you use a standalone router).

Having said that, I use this as a small drop and go live rig that I can multitrack. As it is live, using dynamics and condensers mixed on a stage with bleed, monitors etc, the preamps are more than adequate. I guess if you were using this as a main interface in a project studio maybe the mr18 would make the shortlist.

I myself am seriously looking at the sound craft UI24r. I am letting the first buyers beta test it for a while, but on paper the thing is a monster.

If the UI24r does actually turn out like I hope it will, it will be replacing the xr18. Can't say many bad things about the xr, but the UI24r looks to be a pretty big upgrade.

Don't confuse the ui24r with the ui12 or 16 as it is a complete ground up redesign as far as internals and software.

But of course as the the earlier Ford buys Ferrari poster said, they market it as "studer designed preamps". Do I really care as long as they sound good?
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintaka007 View Post

I myself am seriously looking at the sound craft UI24r. I am letting the first buyers beta test it for a while, but on paper the thing is a monster.

If the UI24r does actually turn out like I hope it will, it will be replacing the xr18. Can't say many bad things about the xr, but the UI24r looks to be a pretty big upgrade.

Don't confuse the ui24r with the ui12 or 16 as it is a complete ground up redesign as far as internals and software.

But of course as the the earlier Ford buys Ferrari poster said, they market it as "studer designed preamps". Do I really care as long as they sound good?
Yes the UI24R looks great but it's four times the weight of the Behringer XR18. However, 13kg is still pretty light!
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
There is a first impression user comparison in the x air forum. He says quieter preamps, higher output and neutrik connectors on the mr18.
https://forum.music-group.com/showth...arison-to-XR18

I noticed the mr12 price went from $349 to $449 but there's a sale on the xr18 for $539.99. Would seem like a no brainer to just buy the xr18?
That's interesting to read. I found the XR12 I had here was noticeably noisier than my A&H QU-PAC when set at identical levels! I may end up getting an MR12 to replace my A&H ZED 10fx, but not in any hurry.
Old 4th May 2017
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=fokof;12599682]Latest news : Ford Buys Ferrari !!!!!!

Later , Ford gets a new Ford Focus out on the market , saying the motor is now "Ferrari designed" , the same design as in a F40 but 100K less expensive.

Then , there is a Focus out on the market with a Ferrari sticker on it.
Ferrari starts to forget about it's upper scale market and put cheaper , more affordable cars on the market.

I wonder if that Focus with the Ferrari sticker on it has a Ferrari motor in it ....... my guess in not.[/QUOTE

Interesting.. just a couple of facts.
It was more than 35 years ago that Fiat bought Ferrari.. and did exactly what you suggested and putted a Ferrari V8 in a Lancia sedan. That became quite an amazing car.
https://www.google.nl/amp/www.roadan...thema-hellcat/
And we all know how Ferrari did the last 35years.
I have tested the Mr18 and compared it's pre with the M32 and the xair18. could find no noticable difference with the M32 and NOTICEABLY more floornoise at a much lower volume for the Xair pre!
So yes! It has the Ferrari engine! And just cost a bit more than the normal Focus..
you get 16 real Midas pres for 200€ more.
And directly ordered one.
Do I care it exactly looks like the xair? No! Cause It sounds like a Midas.
Old 4th May 2017
Gear Head

I was answering to the comment on #100 answer.

So , your saying that there is 16 XL4 preamps in there ?

OK , good for you , what an incredible deal you just made !
I'm really happy for you.
Old 16th August 2017
Here for the gear

Midas MR18 now FOR THE SAME PRICE AD THE XAIR18 at Thomann.de!!!
Old 16th August 2017
Lives for gear
FWIW, in the USA, at $879 for the MR18 and $999 for the Soundcraft Ui24R, the Soundcraft is a much better deal.

- 4 more channels
- Subgroups, VCA, matrix
- USB multi-tracking direct to thumb drive
- Ability to use Aux 1-2 as a crossover (LPF and HPF on these auxes)
- Direct connection to touch screen or keyboard, mouse reg screen
- Better router with 5G capability
- built in audio player (though kind of crude.... would be fine for backing tracks though)
- GUI works on pretty much any device with a browser (as long as the browser supports websockets it will work)
- Not sure how much better the MR18 sounds than the XR18, but the Ui24R sounds noticeably better than the XR18.
Old 14th September 2017
Gear Nut

will XAir apps work on MAir?

Would love it if I could keep my XAirEdit on windows, and my Mixing Station app from DevCore if I upgrade to the MAir. I use my XAir as both my PA, and audio interface for my studio, so the thought is to keep the XAir18 as my PA, and leave the Midas MR18 mounted in the studio.

Thanks for any help everyone.
Old 14th September 2017
Lives for gear
I don't have a MR, but aren't the MR and XR controlled by the same app? I thought the differences were in the preamps, power supply and XLR connectors but the apps were the same. You could ask the developer by posting in the mixing station thread at the X air forum at Behringer to be sure.
Old 14th September 2017
Gear Nut

tried tweeting the developer of mixing station, but he hasn't responded. Just tried the Mixing Station subforum on music-group. Thanks!
Old 15th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokof View Post
I was answering to the comment on #100 answer.

So , your saying that there is 16 XL4 preamps in there ?

OK , good for you , what an incredible deal you just made !
I'm really happy for you.
You forgot to mention that these "XL4" preamps are selling for the same price of the Behringer "Midas designed" preamps in the XR18, same price.
I don't get how could anyone believe that.

However, as someone pointed out, in that market range people won't care of what ads say as long as it is good enough to work.
Soundcraft just made the UI24R and said "Studer designed it".
Do I believe it? No way.
Am I going to buy it? Yup.
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzurd View Post
FWIW, in the USA, at $879 for the MR18 and $999 for the Soundcraft Ui24R, the Soundcraft is a much better deal.

- 4 more channels
- Subgroups, VCA, matrix
- USB multi-tracking direct to thumb drive
- Ability to use Aux 1-2 as a crossover (LPF and HPF on these auxes)
- Direct connection to touch screen or keyboard, mouse reg screen
- Better router with 5G capability
- built in audio player (though kind of crude.... would be fine for backing tracks though)
- GUI works on pretty much any device with a browser (as long as the browser supports websockets it will work)
- Not sure how much better the MR18 sounds than the XR18, but the Ui24R sounds noticeably better than the XR18.
I agree. Really no comparison IMO.

At 1K it has another competitor though (X32 Rack). In this comparison, things get a little muddier; however, I think that between these two it comes down to a couple points.

1) If you need a system including remote wired IEM's with individual mixes, additional stage boxes to extend your channel count beyond the included XLR's, you have a need for some of the more advanced efx (like the multi-band compressor and side-band trigger for the ducker and/or compressor), you really want an integrated control surface for emergencies, or you already have a full X32, then the X32 Rack would be better.

2) For about everything else, the UI24 would be better than the X32 Rack AFAIK.

Both of these options are the top of the food chain with respect to remote mixing today IMO.

It is worth noting that the X32 Rack (and all other X32's) will soon (sometime within the next 6 months I would say) get an add on "direct-to-SD" multi-track recorder (about time). If not for this, I would be leaning even more toward the UI24.

There have been some complaints around the web about the Soundcraft support. Most of the feedback from Music Group support has been positive. I have never dealt with either so all I can do is add up the posts
Old 4th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromostheory View Post
Would love it if I could keep my XAirEdit on windows, and my Mixing Station app from DevCore if I upgrade to the MAir. I use my XAir as both my PA, and audio interface for my studio, so the thought is to keep the XAir18 as my PA, and leave the Midas MR18 mounted in the studio.

Thanks for any help everyone.
Yes, you can controle The MR18 with The XAir app! I was able to save all my settings, snapshots and scenes from the XAir to the MR.
Old 31st January 2018
Lives for gear

One - for some - not so small difference that wasn't mentioned: The Behringer has two Hi-Z inputs (1 and 2), whereas the Midas doesn't, so DIs are needed to connect guitars etc.
Old 1st February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
One - for some - not so small difference that wasn't mentioned: The Behringer has two Hi-Z inputs (1 and 2), whereas the Midas doesn't, so DIs are needed to connect guitars etc.
Hard to say if this is an advantage or not. I've found the Hi-Z inputs on the XR18 to be a tad noisier than the other channels, even with mics. I'd prefer not to have the Hi-Z input and to have to use a DI. Either way, still both great mixers for the money.
Old 1st February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
Hard to say if this is an advantage or not. I've found the Hi-Z inputs on the XR18 to be a tad noisier than the other channels, even with mics. I'd prefer not to have the Hi-Z input and to have to use a DI. Either way, still both great mixers for the money.
Were the other channels (without the Hi-z) quiet or did they also have some noise also?
Old 2nd February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Yes the UI24R looks great but it's four times the weight of the Behringer XR18. However, 13kg is still pretty light!
I think that should be 13 lbs, not 13 kg.

The spec I saw said it weighs about 5.1kg.
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedySteadyGo View Post
I think that should be 13 lbs, not 13 kg.

The spec I saw said it weighs about 5.1kg.
Yes, there's a misprint on the weight on several sites. I just weighed mine and it's 11 lbs 6 ounces (actually 6 1/4 ounces).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search