The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nexo PS10 / L600 system?
Old 4th December 2016
Lives for gear

Nexo PS10 / L600 system?

Hi,

I've been working at a venue over the past few nights and the DJ used an old pair of Nexo PS10's (r1) and a single L500 sub. I was amazed out how much output and punch this tiny system has!
The venue was a large ball room that could hold around 400 people and his little Nexo system filled it easily. I went over to the DJ to enquire about his system and he said it was only turned up to around 30-40%! At the very back of the room the bass was still deep and punchy and the clarity was excellent. Also, the dispersion of the tops covered the wide room surprisingly well and the clarity was still excellent on the sides of the room.
This has made me a little curious to know how a tiny system like this would cope with live bands with fully miked up drums and bass etc in a room this size?
Has anyone used one of these systems or the newer PS10 r2's with the L600 subs for live bands? Any ideas how this Nexo system compares to anything similar within this price range?
Old 4th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Hi,

I've been working at a venue over the past few nights and the DJ used an old pair of Nexo PS10's (r1) and a single L500 sub. I was amazed out how much output and punch this tiny system has!
The venue was a large ball room that could hold around 400 people and his little Nexo system filled it easily. I went over to the DJ to enquire about his system and he said it was only turned up to around 30-40%! At the very back of the room the bass was still deep and punchy and the clarity was excellent. Also, the dispersion of the tops covered the wide room surprisingly well and the clarity was still excellent on the sides of the room.
This has made me a little curious to know how a tiny system like this would cope with live bands with fully miked up drums and bass etc in a room this size?
Has anyone used one of these systems or the newer PS10 r2's with the L600 subs for live bands? Any ideas how this Nexo system compares to anything similar within this price range?
I've been singing the praise of the Nexo PS system for ever, I've owned several systems across the entire range, PS8s, PS10s and PS15s and I've done lots of live gigs with them as both monitors and FOH. I've used them on all kinds of gigs, from rap to rock and I used to do two stages of an annual jazz festival with only PS8s and PS10s.

While there are many good sounding 8" boxes on the market, no body else makes a comparable box with a 10" woofer that I know of. It's powerful with high fidelity, scalable and and tough as nails, and because the system has been out for some years now you can always find used systems on the market.

The fact that it's not and active system might be a turn off for some people, but if you use the Nexo controller/amplifier (highly recommended) the system is very plug and play.
Old 4th December 2016
Lives for gear
I've used several speakers from this series and they are quite amazing for their size and weight.
Old 4th December 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. Yes it was pretty darn impressive. They are a long way off my budget but they are the best sounding small PA I've heard! I'd love to try running a band through the PS10r2's and L600's.
Having a system that is that small and lightweight yet can put out a very high quality big sound is extremely appealing!!
Saying that, the DJ was extremely impressed with the sound we got with my PA (2x DXR15's + 2x QSC KW181's). I played some music from an iPhone through my system whilst setting up and I also didn't need to turn it up high to fill the room.
I wish I had time to do a proper comparison between both systems to get a good idea of how the sound and output measured up. Maybe I'll get a chance next time as we've got a few more gigs at the same venue with the same DJ.

To buy a pair of PS10r2's, L600's, DTD system controller and DTD Amp 4x1.3 costs around £8600 brand new.
Old 4th December 2016
Lives for gear

Not only does the Nexo PS sound better than the DXR in my opinion, it's also scalable which is always useful especially for a rental shop/provider.
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

If I were to change to the Nexo system in the far off future, it would need to sound in a totally different league to my DXR15/QSC KW181 setup, have noticeably higher output and weigh much less.
Whilst the PS10's (r1) did sound great I thought they were possibly a little harsh? The newer r2 PS10's apparently sound nicer and the L600 subs go deeper and sound better overall than the L500? Is there any noticeable difference in the output between the r1 vs r2 PS10's or L500 and L600?
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
If I were to change to the Nexo system in the far off future, it would need to sound in a totally different league to my DXR15/QSC KW181 setup, have noticeably higher output and weigh much less.
Whilst the PS10's (r1) did sound great I thought they were possibly a little harsh? The newer r2 PS10's apparently sound nicer and the L600 subs go deeper and sound better overall than the L500? Is there any noticeable difference in the output between the r1 vs r2 PS10's or L500 and L600?
The PS 10 system is already punching way above it's size and weight, and sounds a lot better than the Yamaha system you have in my opinion. "Harsh" is not a descriptive I would use for this system...did you listen to the same music on both systems without any EQ adjustments?

Did you compare the PS15 system with dual 18" Subs to your system, because that is how you compare apples to apples. In the OP you were amazed by the output and sound of the relatively small system the DJ used...Two mid-high tops with 10" woofers and a single 15" sub on 30% - 40% of it's useable power.

This system is also scalable, can be arrayed horizontally and vertically, and can even be flown, it offers a lot more flexibility than your current system. No need to split hairs, it's an all-round better system, from a known and respected manufacturer, make your own comparisons and decide for yourself.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search