The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
wireless rig recommendations
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Nut

wireless rig recommendations

I have 4 channels of PSM900 in the G7 (506-541) band. I'm planning to add 4-7 channels of ULXD/QLXD in the next year or so, but am torn between a G50/H50/hybrid frequency setup.

Projecting out to 2021+, it seems the bottom half of G50 is at risk with the pending giveback of the 470-512MHz T band. I'm expecting the worst, and that these will be banned after another sell-off.

Judging by that, the G7 band should still be safe for the PSM setup. Would G50 QLXD/ULXD units have enough elbow room if they're squeezed into 29MHz of bandwidth along with the PSM units? My concern with H50 is that the current auction could take a good bite out of the high 500's before it's all over.
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Maniac

Anything above 566MHz will be off limits. You will have no choice to go down to G50 or to 900MHz, if you want to stay in UHF. Shure just began shipping VHF versions of ULXD and GLXD. That may be an option. If you plan to travel with these, you will need to scan and choreograph at each new location, just like the big boys. The days of loading, turning on and using your wireless without scanning are over.
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Nut

I haven't had good results testing in the ISM bands, though it may have been more a reflection on the gear itself. Analysis software for anything more than a handful of channels is certainly becoming a necessary evil. I was under the (perhaps wrong) impression that after every failed attempt at the 600MHz reverse auction, the amount of repackaged bandwidth would be reduced and leave H50 increasingly viable. I'll have to go on the hunt for the article in question.
Old 4th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantlack View Post
I haven't had good results testing in the ISM bands, though it may have been more a reflection on the gear itself. Analysis software for anything more than a handful of channels is certainly becoming a necessary evil. I was under the (perhaps wrong) impression that after every failed attempt at the 600MHz reverse auction, the amount of repackaged bandwidth would be reduced and leave H50 increasingly viable. I'll have to go on the hunt for the article in question.
I just read that they could open up as high as 619MHz. My number of 566MHz was outdated.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandy View Post
Anything above 566MHz will be off limits. You will have no choice to go down to G50 or to 900MHz, if you want to stay in UHF. Shure just began shipping VHF versions of ULXD and GLXD. That may be an option. If you plan to travel with these, you will need to scan and choreograph at each new location, just like the big boys. The days of loading, turning on and using your wireless without scanning are over.
Why above 566mhz ? I thought 600mhz up to 800mhz are prohibited
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
Why above 566mhz ? I thought 600mhz up to 800mhz are prohibited
The use of anything above 608MHz is illegal for wireless microphones to use. Only some of 900MHz is available, and some of that may be used with a license. Though 608MHz is the cap, Ch. 30–41 (566 to 614MHz) is partially affected by the consolidation. Just because wireless mics can operate there doesn't mean the airspace is wide open there.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search