The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JBLSRX728 vs JBLSRX828SP Consoles
Old 13th May 2016
Lives for gear

JBLSRX728 vs JBLSRX828SP

I have some 728's and love them .. wanted to see if anyone has directly compared the two..spec sheet is impressive on the 828's (hard to believe).. I know the differences so I dont need an explanation .. I want to hear from someone who has mixed or listened to both

Old 13th May 2016
Gear Addict

Not yet. I have 728s but don't ever want to use anything else.

828 is def a step down- stx is the replacement for srx700 series
Old 13th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar dave View Post
Not yet. I have 728s but don't ever want to use anything else.

828 is def a step down- stx is the replacement for srx700 series
• Nominal Impedance: Parallel: 4 Ohms; Discrete: 8 ohms x 2
• Power Capacity: Continuous / Program / Peak
Parallel: 1600W / 3200W / 6400W
• Frequency Range: 27 Hz – 220 Hz (–10 dB)
Maximum SPL: 136 dB SPL peak
• System Sensitivity: Passive Mode 98 dB SPL (1 watt @ 1 meter)
• Recommend Cross 80 Hz, 24 dB / octave HPF
-over Frequencies: 80 Hz, 24 dB / octave LPF

System Type Self powered dual 18”, subwoofer system
Max SPL Output 141 dB
Frequency Range (-10 dB) 29 Hz - 150 Hz
Frequency Response (-3 dB) 35 Hz - 120 Hz
Amplifier Design Class D
Power Rating 2000 W Peak
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 574 x 1205 x 681 (mm)
22.57 x 47.42 x 26.79 (in)
Net Weight 65.9 kg (145 lb)

STX828
Frequency Range ( –10 dB) 32 Hz-250 Hz
Frequency Response (± 3 dB) 37 Hz-120 Hz
Sensitivity (1W/1m) 99 dB
Power Rating 2000 W / 4000 W / 8000 W
(Continuous/Program/Peak)
Rated Maximum SPL 138 dB SPL Peak
Nominal Impedance 4Ω
Input Connectors Two NL4
Operational Modes Subwoofer
Dimensions (H x W x D) 564 mm x 1137 mm x 714 mm
(22.2" x 44.8" x 28.1")
Net Weight 82 kg (180 lbs)

IS JBL LYING? or bending the truth?? ..is this the moment right before they burst into flames?? trust me, Im not alone - many of us don't understand how the STX is the replacement when you read and compare the DBSPL from above (I am not talking about wattage, that should not matter)
Old 13th May 2016
Lives for gear

I've just bought the 828, and it's a very impressive box, compared with much that is available at its price, and above. The srx being a fully integrated system should have some advantages and I've seen favourable comments on the srx when compared to the stx. Certainly the stx is a more difficult sell at its price.
Old 13th May 2016
KEL
Lives for gear

STX is definitely not a step down from SRx
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEL View Post
STX is definitely not a step down from SRx
I suspect that the srx was meant to be a lower level product, but this is a classic example of where technology and market forces have resulted in the srx being significantly better than it should be. The STX has some specific features, notably the directivity of the Stx 812 is 70 x 70, as against the srx being 90 x 50. Being self powered is also an advantage, particularly when you consider that the stx is about the same money without. The anecdotal word I've heard suggests they are very similar sounding.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
I suspect that the srx was meant to be a lower level product, but this is a classic example of where technology and market forces have resulted in the srx being significantly better than it should be. The STX has some specific features, notably the directivity of the Stx 812 is 70 x 70, as against the srx being 90 x 50. Being self powered is also an advantage, particularly when you consider that the stx is about the same money without. The anecdotal word I've heard suggests they are very similar sounding.
brings me back to my original question - has anyone blasted them side by side .. well I guess ill order one and do it for the world to know!
Old 15th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
I have some 728's and love them .. wanted to see if anyone has directly compared the two..spec sheet is impressive on the 828's (hard to believe).. I know the differences so I dont need an explanation .. I want to hear from someone who has mixed or listened to both

The problem is that they are still quite new out and there are not many reviews, however, I did as much research as I could prior to buying "blind". The general consensus from our American friends (there are far more in the market place out there), seems to be that sensibly powered the 728's (powered with 12000 hd's), there is not much in it volume wise, but the sound of the srx 828's sound a little fuller. Much the same is said of the stx 828's ( these also require an amp). One user who had both preferred the srx 828, and commented that if he was buying new it was what he would go for, however, those who already own 728's might do better to buy more as its a cheaper option. The stx contains some older model ferrite magnet drivers, hence the additional weight, but the cabinet is an updated design and, of course, they are designed to integrate with the audio architect software and other current JBL speaker products. That being said, they do look expensive when compared too the srx version with an integral amp.

As I mentioned I have the srx828 and I consider it to be the best double 18 I've ever heard at anywhere near this price. If I was stepping up, I would be looking at Danley th118's or things like D&B J, or other major league subs, so they really are a bargain.

Last edited by Roland; 16th May 2016 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: missing words
Old 16th May 2016
Here for the gear

I've used both extensively. I've powered the 728's with itech 6000's and later 12000hd's. It's a very tough call for me sound wise as they are close. I feel the 828 is a little rounder sounding.

For a comparison, I do a small annual festival using either of the following systems.

4 x srx725/728

4 x srx835p/828sp

Powered by itechs, the srx700 may win in sheer output. In terms of sound quality I'll take the powered 800 series. I think it comes down to the dsp and the 800's being setup from the factory. I said on another forum to stick with 700's if that what you have but going from scratch I'd grab the 800's. The value for what you get unsurpassed IMO.

For a setup in the neighborhood just over $5k (non-box store) you can get an impressive rig for the cost of one itech.

I know itechs are amazing quality and the srx700 series is one of my all time favorite, the 800 is an amazing value for what you get.

A guy I know moved 4x 725/728 for 4x 835/828 and is very happy if that means anything. He was going for lower power draw and no amp racks. Said he's glad he made switch.
Old 16th May 2016
Gear Addict

Anyone have thoughts on the passive SRX800 series?

I'm opposed to powered PA for outdoor events and already have plenty of amps.

Worth selling my srx725/728s to get the srx825/828s ?
Old 16th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sants View Post
I've used both extensively. I've powered the 728's with itech 6000's and later 12000hd's. It's a very tough call for me sound wise as they are close. I feel the 828 is a little rounder sounding.

For a comparison, I do a small annual festival using either of the following systems.

4 x srx725/728

4 x srx835p/828sp

Powered by itechs, the srx700 may win in sheer output. In terms of sound quality I'll take the powered 800 series. I think it comes down to the dsp and the 800's being setup from the factory. I said on another forum to stick with 700's if that what you have but going from scratch I'd grab the 800's. The value for what you get unsurpassed IMO.

For a setup in the neighborhood just over $5k (non-box store) you can get an impressive rig for the cost of one itech.

I know itechs are amazing quality and the srx700 series is one of my all time favorite, the 800 is an amazing value for what you get.

A guy I know moved 4x 725/728 for 4x 835/828 and is very happy if that means anything. He was going for lower power draw and no amp racks. Said he's glad he made switch.
great read thank you!
Old 16th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sants View Post
. He was going for lower power draw and no amp racks. Said he's glad he made switch.
And what if I don't care about power draw nor amp rack. Sound quality only. Thoughts?
Old 16th May 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Anyone have thoughts on the passive SRX800 series?

I'm opposed to powered PA for outdoor events and already have plenty of amps.

Worth selling my srx725/728s to get the srx825/828s ?
I'd probably be inclined to stick with 700's. They are awesome. I haven't heard the passive 800 series and people I've spoken with really like the powered versions more.
Old 16th May 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
And what if I don't care about power draw nor amp rack. Sound quality only. Thoughts?
My crew and I both agree we like the overall sound of the powered 800's a little more. I guess I'd say they are smoother?

The amps are all drive core series in 800's but I've had no issues. I'd have to think the drivers in srx700 are an upgrade and using your choice of amps can be a plus.

Many guys seem to think the 800 is a step down from the 700 which driver wise and power options is a maybe/depends. I think the magic in the 800 is the factory tunings in stock configuration. The dsp lets them perform at their peak and this is where the advantage lies.

As I said, in sheer output with proper power I'd lean towards the srx700. For sound quality out of the box and tolerable levels I lean towards the 800p. Sometimes I feel guilty praising the 800's because the 700's in terms of price, and a good amp should win out. I love the srx725/728 combo and still think it's an awesome set that sounds great.

I did read a post comparing the stx vs new srx and then guy said the stx was much better. For the price difference and amps being used it should be. I just haven't experienced it with srx 700 to 800 series.

It is nice being able to run two 835p's and two 828's on one 20 amp line.

I'm more impressed with the 800's the more I use them. There are some minor issues and I chalk that up to user error. Sensitivity is not the same as on your standard consumer grade speaker. These like to see a hot signal. Many don't push them and complain of lack of spl. I've never had this issue. The limit indicators do come on at around -10 Db but it is more of a warning you are getting close. I ran my system very hard two weeks ago and monitored everything on AA. Still had headroom to spare and they were blazing loud (both subs and mains). I've pushed both the 728 and 828 hard and in my experience they seem to crap out at around the same point being properly powered.

The spl stated for the srx800 in general is a little exaggerated. Sound quality though, I think they live up to or exceed the hype.

I have to think Technology has been making lower priced speakers sound better than what was once only attainable in high end systems.

My partner owns the 725/728 rig and I own the 835/828. We needed to expand with a budget in mind and the srx800 was our best option. It was scary at first but we are pleased with results. The 800's have been seeing more action lately.

The itechs are tour grade compared to what's in the srx800 so time will tell. We've used the 800's in 90 degree heat with no issues. Been using them for a year now and they've been solid.
Old 17th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
System Type Self powered dual 18”, subwoofer system
Max SPL Output 141 dB
Frequency Range (-10 dB) 29 Hz - 150 Hz
Frequency Response (-3 dB) 35 Hz - 120 Hz
Amplifier Design Class D
Power Rating 2000 W Peak
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 574 x 1205 x 681 (mm)
22.57 x 47.42 x 26.79 (in)
Net Weight 65.9 kg (145 lb)
All JBL specs for powered speakers are hysterically exaggerated. In order to achieve 141dB with 2000W of power the speaker needs 108dB sensitivity, so minimum 104dB@1W/1m per driver. JBL hasn't produced a LF driver above 99dB in decades. Most are ~95dB now, including the passive subs mentioned above.
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2SPL View Post
All JBL specs for powered speakers are hysterically exaggerated. In order to achieve 141dB with 2000W of power the speaker needs 108dB sensitivity, so minimum 104dB@1W/1m per driver. JBL hasn't produced a LF driver above 99dB in decades. Most are ~95dB now, including the passive subs mentioned above.
so your saying that jbl have been lying to the world?
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2SPL View Post
Along with pretty much every other speaker manufacturer, possibly with the exception of Danley. The cab is pretty loud, not outrun by most others.
Old 12th October 2017
Lives for gear

well holy crap!

some how they really made it happen!

I went to listen to a room full of subs and man .. we put on "who let the dogs out" and the 828 pounded! ..so I bought it! even my rep was surprised at the output, super low and punchy..it looked like it was snowing from the drop ceiling .I can safely say that they do what 728's do ..but with much less wattage.. man I cant wait to pound this thing this weekend
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search