The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha Dxr 12's & Dsr 15 Subs Vs Turbosound IQ 12'S & 15 Subs Mixers (Digital)
Old 13th January 2016
Here for the gear

Yamaha Dxr 12's & Dsr 15 Subs Vs Turbosound IQ 12'S & 15 Subs

Hi ,

Im looking at purchasing the following Yamaha Dxr 12's & Dxs 15 Subs Vs Turbosound IQ 12'S & 15 Subs . I have read plenty of reviews on the Yamaha's and they seem to be good. But I'm having problems finding reviews on the Turbosound IQ series. Unfortunately I can't demo them so looking for some feed back if possible .
Thanks
Old 13th January 2016
Gear Addict

Dxr12 rocks. Love them. Dsr subs are terrible. Hate them.
Haven't heard turbosound, but take the lousy sub into consideration
Old 14th January 2016
Gear Head

Do you mean DXS 15 sub? there is no DSR 15 sub?
Between the two the yammies would be the better choice although I would save up and go for more quality speakers. doing so will extend their use and possibly your gigs.

I do think that the DSR 118 sub compliments the DSR series very well musical wise but if your looking for SPL and low thump for DJ use (looking at your nickname), then this is not the sub your looking for :p

For DJ use I think the DXS 18 will be a better sub. Give the ETX 12 with 18SP a thought as well.
Old 14th January 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiuser View Post
Do you mean DXS 15 sub? there is no DSR 15 sub?
Between the two the yammies would be the better choice I think although I would save up and go for more quality speakers. doing so will extend their use and possibly your gigs.

I do think that the DSR 118 sub compliments the DSR series very well musical wise but if your looking for SPL and low thump for DJ use (looking at your nickname), then this is not the sub your looking for :p

For DJ use I think the DXS 18 will be a better sub. Give the ETX 12 with 18SP a thought as well.
Sorry yes should have been the dxs 15 sub. The EV ETX looks like a fantastic top but way over my budget. Yes they will be for dj use i was looking at the 15 subs as i wouldn't have room transporting 2 18 subs .Thanks for the advice
Old 14th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar dave View Post
Dxr12 rocks. Love them. Dsr subs are terrible. Hate them.
Haven't heard turbosound, but take the lousy sub into consideration
DXS you mean. They are terrible compared to what in their price range? I have a DXS 12 to go along with my DXR12s and think that as a whole system it sounds pretty good.
Old 14th January 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by modulusman View Post
DXS you mean. They are terrible compared to what in their price range? I have a DXS 12 to go along with my DXR12s and think that as a whole system it sounds pretty good.
Yeah the reviews seem pretty good for the Yahamas. The Turbosound IQ range looks pretty impressive and some of the DSP features but the whole Behringer association i have my doubts and its pretty hard to find any reviews
Old 14th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsteved View Post
Yeah the reviews seem pretty good for the Yahamas. The Turbosound IQ range looks pretty impressive and some of the DSP features but the whole Behringer association i have my doubts and its pretty hard to find any reviews
The Yamahas have a 7 year warranty. I believe the Turbosound have only 3 years
Old 17th January 2016
Gear Addict

Trust me, get the Yamahas.
Old 20th January 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice everyone , Going to go with the Yamahas
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsteved View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone , Going to go with the Yamahas
When are you getting them? I am thinking of picking up a DXS 15 to go with my ZLX 12p's. Think you could give us a review/opinion on it?
Old 17th February 2016
Here for the gear

I have the Turbosound IQ12's with an IQ15B sub.
They blow away my EV ELX115P's, Yorkville NX720P sub and my 1200 watt Peavey's.
Before I bought I ran into a review that did a shoot-out that included the Yamaha's and JBL's and EV EKX (I think) they said the IQ's blew away all of those brands including the RCF's that the fellow was a salesman of.

I personally believe this as they sound way fuller, like a Rolls Royce compared to the other speaker's I have heard.

These are not Behringer, they are Turbosound with Klark Teknik amplification and proc.
Music Group is not Behringer...Behringer is not the Behringer of old and the new sister companies are still top notch companies...Turbosound, Klark Teknik and Midas are top notch still.

I was sold the minute I happened to walk by a pair of IQ12's playing at mid volume and I literally did a double take...I couldn't believe how rich the sound was.
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by livsound View Post
I have the Turbosound IQ12's with an IQ15B sub.
They blow away my EV ELX115P's, Yorkville NX720P sub and my 1200 watt Peavey's.
Before I bought I ran into a review that did a shoot-out that included the Yamaha's and JBL's and EV EKX (I think) they said the IQ's blew away all of those brands including the RCF's that the fellow was a salesman of.

I personally believe this as they sound way fuller, like a Rolls Royce compared to the other speaker's I have heard.

These are not Behringer, they are Turbosound with Klark Teknik amplification and proc.
Music Group is not Behringer...Behringer is not the Behringer of old and the new sister companies are still top notch companies...Turbosound, Klark Teknik and Midas are top notch still.

I was sold the minute I happened to walk by a pair of IQ12's playing at mid volume and I literally did a double take...I couldn't believe how rich the sound was.
These speakers are Behringer. They were actually announced at NAMM 2013 and then rebranded as Turbosound for NAMM 2014.

Quote:
Behringer iQ Powered Speakers - NAMM 2013 - YouTube

Check out the all new Behringer iQ speakers with Turbosound at NAMM 2013!
Old 20th February 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by higradeguy View Post
These speakers are Behringer. They were actually announced at NAMM 2013 and then rebranded as Turbosound for NAMM 2014.
They were never sold as Behringer, they were redesigned (look different then the pic.) by Turbosound and Klark teknik, instead of just using their driver's and proc..
I have tried to stay away from Behringer stuff for 20 years. I have owned a couple of rack units that worked alright but the inferior build was evident.

These Turbosound speakers are well built (like a tank) and sound amazing.
I believe once Music Group took over and acquired Midas, Turbosound and Klark Teknik they also acquired the quality control of those companies and are not messing with their respective quality control programs.

These 3 companies still produce the same top quality stuff they have been.

...Behringer bashing is dead, long live Music Group!!!
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
They were never sold as Behringer, they were redesigned (look different then the pic.) by Turbosound and Klark teknik, instead of just using their driver's and proc..
I have tried to stay away from Behringer stuff for 20 years. I have owned a couple of rack units that worked alright but the inferior build was evident.

I believe once Music Group took over and acquired Midas, Turbosound and Klark Teknik they also acquired the quality control of those companies and are not messing with their respective quality control programs.

So you're saying that the Music Group rep at NAMM the next year was wrong when he said they had rebranded the Behringer boxes? That was the answer I was told.
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:

And yet they only offer a 3 year warranty. The Yamaha's have 7 years.
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Maniac

hi, We're a 3 pc small lounge type band. We've been using the DXS15 (with a couple of ancient 12" Peavey Scorpion's) for several months now and haven't had any problems. We are very satisfied and intend on getting a pair of DXR10's
when we get a good deal. Every once in a while around holidays MF has a 20% off deal on gear. We're in no hurry though, we'll wait for the deal.
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba359 View Post
hi, We're a 3 pc small lounge type band. We've been using the DXS15 (with a couple of ancient 12" Peavey Scorpion's) for several months now and haven't had any problems. We are very satisfied and intend on getting a pair of DXR10's
when we get a good deal. Every once in a while around holidays MF has a 20% off deal on gear. We're in no hurry though, we'll wait for the deal.
The last 2 years Yamaha has offered rebates from Oct-through New years on DXR speakers. IIRC you get a $50.00 rebate on the dxr10s.
Old 20th February 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
And yet they only offer a 3 year warranty. The Yamaha's have 7 years.
A 5 year warranty should be offered...but personally I like to change up every 3 years or so anyway and if they have made it that long with no issue's I wouldn't expect any to pop up until the cap.'s start going years later.

Still good on Yamaha for offering 7 years...just keep the receipt!
Old 28th April 2016
Here for the gear

I was able to do a side by side comparison with the turbosound iq15 and iq 18 subs vs the jbl srx 18" sub and 15" tops at guitar center. We pushed the each set until they started to distort and to my dismay the jbl's didn't last long the turbosounds were very impressive along with a great amount of savings. My heart was set to buy the jbls but after the comparison the brain said buy the turbosounds.
Old 30th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjYumYum View Post
I was able to do a side by side comparison with the turbosound iq15 and iq 18 subs vs the jbl srx 18" sub and 15" tops at guitar center. We pushed the each set until they started to distort and to my dismay the jbl's didn't last long the turbosounds were very impressive along with a great amount of savings. My heart was set to buy the jbls but after the comparison the brain said buy the turbosounds.
The same thing happened with me. I went in to purchase EV EKX12s and ended up with IQ15s. A week later picked up IQ18B, and ordered an IQ12 this morning. I'll be purchasing a X32 Rack and more IQ18Bs soon. Later in the year, I plan to move into the Siena series Turbosound loudspeakers. I'm sold...on the sound!
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Head

Late to this thread but I bought the Turbosound IQ 15 subs and love them! The DSP options will get you the sound you need to compliment whatever tops you have. For the price they're a no-brainer. Only downside is they don't make covers for them (or the Yamaha DSR12 which I own). We play heavy rock and indoors this is plenty of speakers. Outdoors you'll want to add another pair of subs, which is pretty much true regardless of what bottoms you have.

Turbosound also comes with casters which is nice but I don't like the rattle or the extra weight. May bump up to the IQ18 subs and try out the Sienna tops as well. Having full DSP control sounds pretty sweet.
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFisherman View Post
Late to this thread but I bought the Turbosound IQ 15 subs and love them! The DSP options will get you the sound you need to compliment whatever tops you have. For the price they're a no-brainer. Only downside is they don't make covers for them (or the Yamaha DSR12 which I own).
Here are the covers...
http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/5130...und-TS-PC15B-1
Old 11th December 2017
Here for the gear

Hi guys sorry to bump this old thread but your reviews are very important to me as I'm looking at the iQ 15's right now. Would like to know

1. How are they doing now after a year of use or more? Do they last? Any problems faced?

2. Would you still recommend then now? Or are there any new speakers in the market that perform better?

3. Are they as loud as EV EKX15p? Cos that's the only speaker I've listen to and ZLX15p is definitely not as loud as iQ15s

Thanks a lot! =)
Old 26th April 2018
Here for the gear

Hello!
Trust me, the iQ15 sound better than the Yamaha DXR series but I agree the 7 year warranty might sway you Yamaha's way. The iQ15 are more rounded sound-wise than anything i've heard at their price point. And after listening QSC k series it was like someone had pulled the wax out my ears! Yes they're Behringer related but your ears don't lie and I've had mine 2 years and they're fine. Very happy with them. At least they don't say Behringer on them if you're worried about snobs with outdates views of the Behringer of yesteryear haha!
Lots of lunchy low end for a 15" full range and I run a pro function band up to 250 cap venues. Mid is full and present. Which is essential for vocals and guitar and the competition does badlt. Highs are smooth and don't bite your face off like JBL and certainly RCF/Mackie do.
Yes I'd prefer EV ETX but they're about 1.5 times the price.

HOWEVER I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinion on the iQ15b. Turbosound still the underdog and a lack of reviews around.
Old 28th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmehatch View Post
Hello!
Trust me, the iQ15 sound better than the Yamaha DXR series but I agree the 7 year warranty might sway you Yamaha's way. The iQ15 are more rounded sound-wise than anything i've heard at their price point. And after listening QSC k series it was like someone had pulled the wax out my ears! Yes they're Behringer related but your ears don't lie and I've had mine 2 years and they're fine. Very happy with them. At least they don't say Behringer on them if you're worried about snobs with outdates views of the Behringer of yesteryear haha!
Lots of lunchy low end for a 15" full range and I run a pro function band up to 250 cap venues. Mid is full and present. Which is essential for vocals and guitar and the competition does badlt. Highs are smooth and don't bite your face off like JBL and certainly RCF/Mackie do.
Yes I'd prefer EV ETX but they're about 1.5 times the price.

HOWEVER I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinion on the iQ15b. Turbosound still the underdog and a lack of reviews around.
Turbosound has a 10 year warranty if you register your product
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Turbosound has a 10 year warranty if you register your product
Be careful. As I read it, the drivers are not covered:

Quote:
Are there warranty exceptions?
Apart from the obvious improper use of the product, there are only a few exclusions to the limited warranty that you need to be aware of, including consumables, burnt voice coils and road/flight cases.

The above warranty does not apply to:

Consumable parts, including but not limited to, fuses, batteries, and cables.
Drivers and diaphragm assemblies that have burnt voice coils due to over voltage or a surge from a power amplifier.
Power amplifiers with incorrectly loaded outputs (in terms of ''load''/ohms).
Physical or shipping damage due to improper use of the Products or incorrect installation.
Cable drum assemblies and road/flight cases, for which there will be a one (1) Year warranty period.
Products whose factory applied serial number has been defaced, altered or removed.
The Yamaha warranty does not stipulate anything like that (that I am aware of .... and I have used their 7 year warranty to replace a driver).

This is consistent with Behringers "3 year warranty" on the X32 which excludes any moving part including the faders after the first year. You have to read the small print with Behringer.

This isn't to say that the IQ's aren't good. I have heard quite a few good reviews on them.

I am a big fan of Behringer's recent products (X32, XR, Turbosound IQ, etc), but find that they are a bit too clever by half on their warranty marketing.

Since the speakers are powered (and protected) internally, one would think the drivers and amplifiers would be covered no matter what.
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
Be careful. As I read it, the drivers are not covered:

The Yamaha warranty does not stipulate anything like that (that I am aware of .... and I have used their 7 year warranty to replace a driver).

This is consistent with Behringers "3 year warranty" on the X32 which excludes any moving part including the faders after the first year. You have to read the small print with Behringer.

This isn't to say that the IQ's aren't good. I have heard quite a few good reviews on them.

I am a big fan of Behringer's recent products (X32, XR, Turbosound IQ, etc), but find that they are a bit too clever by half on their warranty marketing.

Since the speakers are powered (and protected) internally, one would think the drivers and amplifiers would be covered no matter what.
good point. I didn't know that. I'm really happy with my Yamaha dxr dxs subs and haven't had any problems with them. The same can be said for my QSC K.2 although I have only had them for about 4-5 months.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search