The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Next step up for vocal mics - Telefunken M80, AKG D7, Senn E935/E945 or condenser?
Old 19th February 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I've managed to find a dealer who accepts returns on mics which is great news as there are no dealers within a few 100 miles that sell the mics I'm interested in. Finding a dealer that lets me try mics for 30 days is fantastic and allows me to try out a whole load of mics I'm interested in. I'd like to hear the Miktek PM9 and a couple of condensers such as the Rode S1 and the new AKG C7.
Somebody came into our venue with a PM9 and we compared it to the MD431ii that I had up already. They were very comparable. The Sennheiser had more cut to it -- would probably work better with a rock band (Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters uses it). I would use a PM9 with more acoustic music, but for less than half the price of an MD431ii it's quite a mic.
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used Sennheiser e838 for years. Switched recently to shure beta 58a.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The e838 is a surprisingly good mic for the money. I've been using them for a few years and to be honest I could get away with using them on pretty much all the gigs I do. However, I'm all for finding mics that make my job easier.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The e838 is a surprisingly good mic for the money. I've been using them for a few years and to be honest I could get away with using them on pretty much all the gigs I do. However, I'm all for finding mics that make my job easier.
You gotta use it perfectly,
talk to it alittle sideways and it's gonna over exegurate the " wind" noise. Hold it too far and it's gonna sound too thin and feedback
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue439 View Post
Somebody came into our venue with a PM9 and we compared it to the MD431ii that I had up already. They were very comparable. The Sennheiser had more cut to it -- would probably work better with a rock band (Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters uses it). I would use a PM9 with more acoustic music, but for less than half the price of an MD431ii it's quite a mic.
Interesting, as the 431 is generally considered a relatively "flat" mic, although the new ones did get re-voiced, and can sound a bit "bright" sometimes, I agree. I find the Miktek to also have some "lift" in the upper-mids, not what I would call a "forgiving" mic on poor singers, but on most decent to good singers, very flattering, and, the low end is fabulous, tight yet full (again, proper technique matters, and will be rewarded). Yeah, agreed, at the price, a rather amazing mic. IMHO. YMMV. Good luck.
Old 21st February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've got an M81 coming tomorrow which I'll be trying out at the weekend. The Miktek PM9 is a special order item so not sure if I'll be able to return it if I didn't like it. Also, it will take a minimum of 3-4 weeks to arrive.
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've got an M81 coming tomorrow which I'll be trying out at the weekend. The Miktek PM9 is a special order item so not sure if I'll be able to return it if I didn't like it. Also, it will take a minimum of 3-4 weeks to arrive.
I used the m80 several times, and generally liked it, except found in some cases an un-natural sounding upper register. Apparently, T-Funk has tried to address that issue with the m81, in which case, it should be a very nice mic. Please let us know what you think, thanks. And, good luck!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
I used the m80 several times, and generally liked it, except found in some cases an un-natural sounding upper register. Apparently, T-Funk has tried to address that issue with the m81, in which case, it should be a very nice mic. Please let us know what you think, thanks. And, good luck!
Yep no worries.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
This is why I went for an M81 on this particular artist. It was a very natural sounding mic as there was no pre-EQ curve designed into the mic and it seemed to take EQ better, or at least sound more natural when EQ'd.
Old 25th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I tried both the M80 and M81 on two female vocalists last night at a medium sized event in a 400 seater hall.
I tried the M80 on the lead vocalist first a we all really liked it. I then tried the M81 and whilst it still sounded great it sounded a little more boomy and didn't have quite the clarity and detail of the M80. We went with the M80 with this vocalist.
Next was the female backing vocalist and on her voice we preferred the M81. Together they sounded lovely! Great clarity and presence without sounding harsh!

I'm going to be trying the M80 and M81 again tomorrow in a different venue with three different vocalists and will report back to share my thoughts,
Old 26th February 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Did you compare them to anything besides the other Telefunken?
Old 26th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I compared the M80 to a Sennheiser E945, Sennheiser E935, EV ND86, Shure Beta 58. I have also compared the most of these mics to the Audix OM6, EV N/D767a, Sennheiser E838, JZHH1 and Shure SM58 though not directly to the Telefunken mics.

I used the Telefunken M80 and M81 again today on a couple more female vocalists. Both mics sounded great and I preferred them to my other dynamic mics. For the lead vocalist my favourite was the M80 once again. The M81 did sound great but sounded a little boomy and lacked a little definition compared to the M80. The M81 sounded nice on the female backing vocalist though as her voice was much thinner.
I read that some people have found the top end of the M80 can sound a little too bright and I could see this being the case with some vocalists. However on the lead female vocalists I've used it on so far I preferred it to any other dynamic I've tried. Both mics have their strengths and weaknesses and will naturally suit some voices more than others.

I'm hoping to try both the Telefunken mics on a few male vocalists over the next couple of weeks or so and will report back.

I'd also like to try the new EV ND96 for singing drummers and really noisy stages and maybe a Miktek PM9 if possible (though I'm in no hurry to try the Miktek).
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Line 6 modeling mics. I think they're only wireless tho. (Slate vms of live mics ))
Old 3rd April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
Line 6 modeling mics. I think they're only wireless tho. (Slate vms of live mics ))
Good Lord! Please tell me that we do not have put up with the same BS that Slate is peddling in the live arena as well. These things are toys.
Old 4th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
Good Lord! Please tell me that we do not have put up with the same BS that Slate is peddling in the live arena as well. These things are toys.
The Line 6 wireless systems do indeed have EQ curves on them. They're however pretty decent dynamic mics as they are, and the wireless transmission better than any UHF at their price range. You don't really want to use the EQ curves though, it's as usual a gimmick.

First thing I've seen like that is the Bose L1, which comes with mic model-based presets I guess.
Old 7th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also I would like to let people know that I just tried the DPA D:facto Linear and it's the best handheld microphone in the business. Besides a tendency for popping, it sounds like whatever you put in front of it, but louder. The polar pattern is very tight and almost perfect throughout, no noise, clean as a whistle, and very carefully controlled low end. If only it weren't Β£900...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear