The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundcraft Si IMPACT Mixers (Digital)
Old 27th April 2015
Here for the gear

Soundcraft Si IMPACT

new compact digital console Soundcraft Si IMPACT B-)

Best
Groover
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Looks like this will be revealed on the 28th. I wonder what the new features are.
Old 29th April 2015
Here for the gear
It is quite magical! I will post more images later from their brochure.
Attached Thumbnails
Soundcraft Si IMPACT-image_9136_0.jpg  
Old 29th April 2015

Its the same as the last one right?
Old 29th April 2015
Old 29th April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy turner View Post
Its the same as the last one right?
Not quite mate! This video explains more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuEq...ature=youtu.be

It's a new console, 40 inputs to mix, 32 Mic pres on the back, 16 outputs, 31 mix busses, proper Soundcraft mic preamps (same as on a Vi1), DBX Compression algorithms, BSS FCS-966 GEQ on every output (that's 31 of them), 4 stereo Lexicon MX400 effects processors, 5" colour touchscreen (for setup mainly) and it's compatible with all existing Soundcraft stageboxes!
Old 29th April 2015
Here for the gear
Price?
Old 29th April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMetal View Post
Price?
Our recommended retail price is $3499

But depending on your location, you should check with your local retailers to see how much you can bag one for.
Old 29th April 2015
Gear Addict

$2799 is street price
Old 29th April 2015
Gear Nut

Nice !
They ditched the AES input though...
Old 29th April 2015
Lives for gear

This is an interesting configuration. I'd like to see more specs on it though, because it's a little confusing. On one hand it has more features than the SI Expression series (the addition of VCA's, option of all Bell EQ's rather than two Bell, two shelving, Scribble strips). Also it has 8 combi jacks to plug in an instrument. Basically DI's, but I'm not sure what the purpose of that is for a live console, unless the bassist/guitarist is standing right next to it.

Also, it seems to have two expansion slots, yet only 40 DSP inputs, compared to 64 DSP inputs on the expressions.

Hopefully we'll get more info soon.
Old 29th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar dave View Post
$2799 is street price
At that price they should rule the small format market IMHO. We'll see.
Old 29th April 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
At that price they should rule the small format market IMHO. We'll see.
Yup, only they messed up something, this will eat up all the X32 sales
Old 29th April 2015
Gear Addict

If it had the row of encoders (gains/pans/hpf) that are on the expression and performer and compact- I'd buy 2 of these impacts.

For workflow you can't underestimate that little row.

Props to LED scribbles and 2 option cards.
Old 29th April 2015
Hi SCUK can this be used as a DAW controller too?
Old 30th April 2015
Gear Addict

No
Old 30th April 2015
Gear Addict

No
Old 1st May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyeater View Post
Hi SCUK can this be used as a DAW controller too?
It can't unfortunately, the USB I/O can be treated as a 32 channel audio interface but no DAW integration.
Old 1st May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar dave View Post
If it had the row of encoders (gains/pans/hpf) that are on the expression and performer and compact- I'd buy 2 of these impacts.

For workflow you can't underestimate that little row.

Props to LED scribbles and 2 option cards.
I agree! I prefer global encoders! but we have added some features that will help workflow without the global encoders.

For things like bus panning (IEM mixes) we have new options in the output menu that allow for the bus to follow the LR panning, follow an inverted pan of the LR and of course have an independent pan per channel, per bus using the ACS.

Most of our competitors consoles at this end of the market do not have global encoders due to the coast of manufacturer... (you're talking 30 odd encoders, each with 15 LEDs... it all adds up) as I said, I voted to keep them in! However, if you need those, we have 2 other consoles in the range that could suit you nicely.

Regards,
Elliott
Old 1st May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciolis View Post
Nice !
They ditched the AES input though...
We did... but for many of our users, it was just a mysterious XLR input that didn't work...

As I say, If you need an AES in, we have other consoles that would fit the bill!

Regards,
Elliott
Old 1st May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
This is an interesting configuration. I'd like to see more specs on it though, because it's a little confusing. On one hand it has more features than the SI Expression series (the addition of VCA's, option of all Bell EQ's rather than two Bell, two shelving, Scribble strips). Also it has 8 combi jacks to plug in an instrument. Basically DI's, but I'm not sure what the purpose of that is for a live console, unless the bassist/guitarist is standing right next to it.

Also, it seems to have two expansion slots, yet only 40 DSP inputs, compared to 64 DSP inputs on the expressions.

Hopefully we'll get more info soon.
Hi there,

You have many of the differences covered! The Si Impact indeed has a total mix capacity of 40 whereas the Si Expression can mix up to 66 (and Performer 80) in total.

Many of our users couldn't find a use for 66 inputs and our competitors at this level are around the 40 mark too. By reducing this capacity we could get the console to the attractive price.

With the 2 option card slots; although you can't mix all 128 inputs! They are always available as a 'pool' of I/O that you can patch to on the fly. The console can only mix 40 in total, but you could have almost 2 stageboxes on two separate stages and set up a cue to swap all the inputs to the second stagebox at the press of a button. It's also good for installations where a console may have to mix from the local I/O one minute and then a Dante source the next. (Hope that makes sense!)

The combi jacks aren't quite high impedance for bass guitars etc, they are really mic inputs with an jack socket connected to a pad, So in essence you could plug a line level instrument straight in (Keyboard) or a playback device at the mix position. The Si Expression and Performer have dedicated jack inputs on the rear (4 and 8 respectively) but in the interest of realestate, cost and general public perception, Combi jacks were more suitable.

Regards,
Elliott
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Maniac

I guess this should take Expression prices down, right?
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyloo View Post
I guess this should take Expression prices down, right?
No, probably not. As you can see, the Expression has some features this does not.
Old 3rd May 2015
Lives for gear

Seems like a strange move by Soundcraft.

The Si Expression and this board are very similar and share many of the same features at a similar price point. I find it difficult to believe that they intend to continue support for the Si Expression and the Impact both.

It does seem like a very worthy competitor to the X32 though. They got the features and price point just right IMO. The criticisms I always had for the Si Expression were that you couldn't do multi-track record and playback without add-in cards, the price was just a little steep compared to the competition, and it lacked scribble strips.

I look forward to hearing one of these out in the wild!

Last edited by OneEng; 3rd May 2015 at 12:39 AM..
Old 4th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post

The Si Expression and this board are very similar and share many of the same features at a similar price point. I find it difficult to believe that they intend to continue support for the Si Expression and the Impact both.

It does seem like a very worthy competitor to the X32 though. They got the features and price point just right IMO. The criticisms I always had for the Si Expression were that you couldn't do multi-track record and playback without add-in cards, the price was just a little steep compared to the competition, and it lacked scribble strips.

If you look on the Soundcraft site at their legacy products you will find the SI1, SI2, SI3, SIcompact16, SIcompact24 & SIcompact32 in the "Legacy" list. That may give you a bit of an idea as to where it is all heading.
Old 4th May 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUK View Post
...BSS FCS-966 GEQ on every output (that's 31 of them)...
Surely Harmon/Soundcraft is not going down the road that other manufacturing conglomerates who shall remain nameless have previously taken by deciding to include a version of an old product in one of the new digital products?? (Also, surely you can come up with a better EQ implementation in 2015????)

i.e. a BSS FCS-966 GEQ is a piece of hardware, and is made with analogue filters. So unless they are giving away old stock with each Si Impact, then this might need some clarification. Plus, a 3U analogue GEQ on each output would take up more space than the console!

This is not like MG/Behringer putting the Klark Teknik DN-780 reverb algorithms into the X32 - that was a digital product to begin with and the algorithms should port more or less as they are from one platform to another (mathematically anyway, whatever about any niggles in the implementation of the DSP).

There are other manufacturers using their brand's legacy products as marketing tools, and that's fine (they own the brands so they can do what they want with the digital algorithms), but a FCS-966 is actually an analogue product. It also has some interesting frequency tilt functions on it - are these also available on the Si Impact simulation?

I have no problem with SC branding their EQ algorithms as 'BSS' as they own the brand and can call it whatever they want - but to state that a mixer is shipping with 31 of their previous hardware eq products is just a bit weird, or desperate.

So, we could assume that they mean a digital model, but again: have GEQ algorithms not come on a bit since the FCS966 (whose filters were based on the 960 anyway)?
Old 5th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
If you look on the Soundcraft site at their legacy products you will find the SI1, SI2, SI3, SIcompact16, SIcompact24 & SIcompact32 in the "Legacy" list. That may give you a bit of an idea as to where it is all heading.
Ahhh... then it makes perfect sense ..... albeit a bit of a short life for the SI series.

Then I applaud the engineering team at Soundcraft. It appears they have made a new revision of their entry level digital mixers that is both more feature competitive, and lower cost than its predecessor.

Thanks for the tip
Old 5th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post

Well the Si series contains the SI Compact 16,24,32, Si Expression 1,2,3, Si Performer 1,2,3 and no the Si Impact.

They are ALL on the SAME software code so any update that comes for the SI Impact, can be loaded straight onto a 5 year old Si Compact.

We have just released version 1.7 software that is available for all of our small format Si consoles... we will continue support as, to be honest, they are so close to eachother, there's no reason not to.
Old 5th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post

All of our small format Si Consoles are now aligned on the same code. This means an update for Si Impact means the same update for all of the other consoles (Si Compact, Expression and Performer)

The Si Compact is in the legacy section not because we don't support it, but because we do not make it anymore..... there's no reason for us to make it as we have other products available... however, 5 years on, we are still releasing new software for the Si Compact. NO Other mixing console company supports products like that.
Old 5th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
Surely Harmon/Soundcraft is not going down the road that other manufacturing conglomerates who shall remain nameless have previously taken by deciding to include a version of an old product in one of the new digital products?? (Also, surely you can come up with a better EQ implementation in 2015????)

i.e. a BSS FCS-966 GEQ is a piece of hardware, and is made with analogue filters. So unless they are giving away old stock with each Si Impact, then this might need some clarification. Plus, a 3U analogue GEQ on each output would take up more space than the console!

This is not like MG/Behringer putting the Klark Teknik DN-780 reverb algorithms into the X32 - that was a digital product to begin with and the algorithms should port more or less as they are from one platform to another (mathematically anyway, whatever about any niggles in the implementation of the DSP).

There are other manufacturers using their brand's legacy products as marketing tools, and that's fine (they own the brands so they can do what they want with the digital algorithms), but a FCS-966 is actually an analogue product. It also has some interesting frequency tilt functions on it - are these also available on the Si Impact simulation?

I have no problem with SC branding their EQ algorithms as 'BSS' as they own the brand and can call it whatever they want - but to state that a mixer is shipping with 31 of their previous hardware eq products is just a bit weird, or desperate.

So, we could assume that they mean a digital model, but again: have GEQ algorithms not come on a bit since the FCS966 (whose filters were based on the 960 anyway)?
Hi there,

I have a few answers for you.

You mention 'other conglomerates' but the truth is, it's pretty much every one of our competitors.

A Company beginning with B for example quote they have 'modeled' Lexicon reverbs in their consoles... we don't use Lexicon models... we use real Lexicon hardware directly out of the MX400.

The BSS FCS 966 was actually modeled by our BSS team many years ago and put into a digital form to be used in their Omnidrive series. These guys know what they are doing and they did a sterling job porting the analogue response into some code. When we were looking for an algorithm, we looked to a unit that was one of BSS' most successful and most celebrated GEQs. We are the ONLY company who can have that algorithm.. why wouldn't we flaunt it.

I agree with you that It can't sound the same, there are many factors in play, however, it sounds damn close... and It sounds better than all of our competitors GEQ, as did the FCS when it was out and used on tours all over.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search