The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dugan Automixer Consoles
Old 25th April 2015
Here for the gear

Dugan Automixer

Looking to purchase the Dan Dugan Automixer Waves plugin and would like feedback from those who have first hands experience with it. Will be using it for corporate gigs with Lavalier mics (omni). Can it be used for other things?
Old 25th April 2015
Gear Maniac

Some people have success in musical theater with them. They are also great for those large dais gigs. Pretty much any event that you have no idea what is going to happen but people need to be heard.
Old 26th April 2015
Lives for gear

how does it work with a gig situation ie backing vocals?
Old 26th April 2015
Gear Addict

I use it a lot (in the Yamaha console version - can't speak for the Waves one) for theater and corporate work and it's a life saver. But only for stuff where you only need one voice at a time. I would definitely not want to use it for something like background vocals as this will defeat the whole purpose of background vocals, which is to blend. The Dugan mixer does the opposite of making things blend - it prioritizes one over the others.

At a musical theater production I did in January, I recorded all tracks for doing virtual sound check, but the first recording I did, I made a patching mistake and got all 14 radio mics recorded post Dugan. It took me a few minutes to figure out what had happened, as all the voices were there, but the ensemble tutti parts just didn't work at all. Didn't glue, were thin sounding and just weak and weird. Made perfect sense once I found the culprit.
Old 26th April 2015
Here for the gear

Boots,

I plan on using the dugan automixer waves plugin for corporates events where I will have anywhere from 2-10 lavalier mics and possible some wireless handheld mics. Would the dugan be a good fit for me?
Old 26th April 2015
Here for the gear

Boots,

I plan on using the dugan automixer waves plugin for corporates events where I will have anywhere from 2-10 lavalier mics on at the same time and possible some wireless handheld mics. Would the dugan be a good fit for me?
Old 28th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynyc View Post
Boots,

I plan on using the dugan automixer waves plugin for corporates events where I will have anywhere from 2-10 lavalier mics on at the same time and possible some wireless handheld mics. Would the dugan be a good fit for me?
The Dugan is perfect for that. What console are you using? It works best being fed from a post fader insert. That may be a challange depending on what console you're using.
Old 28th April 2015
Here for the gear

I've used it in that capacity for some time now, on Yamaha and Avid consoles, and it's really great. One thing that struck me right away was the amount of RF noise that it cuts out-- having 6+ RF mics hot tends to get pretty noisy, but the Dugan does a great job of minimizing that. As advertised, it sounds as though one channel is open the whole time. It will also buy you plenty of extra gain before feedback.

I find that it's pretty cool using it with lav mics, because for instance, if you're doing a panel, and a panelist turns towards another member of the group, the Dugan does a nice job of managing the two mics. It almost eliminates comb filtering, and although you can still hear that the person speaking is off-axis from their mic, you get a pretty usable signal out of it.

I once used the Dugan automixer on 5 floor PCC's and it was pretty successful there as well. There were some parts of the show where a couple of talking cast members would walk across the stage, and the Dugan did a nice job of handling the moments where folks were between PCC's. It's good to remember to mute channels that you know are not going to come into play.

I will say, I have NOT had success using it for vocals or any kind of singing. I've tried a few times, but every time I ended up just cutting it out of the chain because it made everything sound pretty unnatural.
Old 30th April 2015
Gear Nut

We just did a show for Netflix.
After there was a panel of 6 using super-cardioid lavs. I hate lavs!
I tried to get them to use our new face mics but they said no.
So I envoked the Dugan automixer on our LS9 and walla!
Great gain before feedback and the cleanest multi-lav event I've ever heard. We tested with 12 and that was really good also!
I've also used it for a 16 channel unattended ULX handheld mics at a conference room meeting. Dan has a great thing here. You never here it gate on or off.
ALL NEW DIGITAL MIXERS SHOULD INCLUDE a Dugan-quality AUTOMIXER and a Feedback Destroyer.
Old 30th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkcity View Post
We just did a show for Netflix.
After there was a panel of 6 using super-cardioid lavs. I hate lavs!
I tried to get them to use our new face mics but they said no.
So I envoked the Dugan automixer on our LS9 and walla!
Great gain before feedback and the cleanest multi-lav event I've ever heard. We tested with 12 and that was really good also!
I've also used it for a 16 channel unattended ULX handheld mics at a conference room meeting. Dan has a great thing here. You never here it gate on or off.
ALL NEW DIGITAL MIXERS SHOULD INCLUDE a Dugan-quality AUTOMIXER and a Feedback Destroyer.
how did you use it with an LS9?
Dante and Waves Dugan?
Old 30th April 2015
Lives for gear

I've used the Dugan cards on CL5 and M7 consoles for corporate work and I LOVE them. Turn the lavs on and let it just run. Don't touch the faders- go get lunch, etc... (Ok a bit of an exaggeration there). But realistically, in a situation with spoken word when you can't necessarily go chasing faders yet feedback is a real concern, the Dugan is one of those magic boxes that makes your job way easier.

--Ben
Old 4th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolytic View Post
how did you use it with an LS9?
Dante and Waves Dugan?
Yamaha Dugan-MY16 Mini-YGDAI plug-in card...not cheap but it works great
Plug you PC into the RJ45 and control the 16 channel 3 group Dugan automixer.
I set for 9 face mics and 5 handhelds of friday and it was terrific!

Dugan-MY16 | Mini-YGDAI Cards | Interfaces | Products | Yamaha

Yamaha DUGAN-MY16
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I don’t understand the fact that many productions and people are using this device. We tried using it for our TV shows but if one person yells or speaks louder than the other, the person that is speaking lower gets cut out, or the volume drop substantially. It sounds like a horrible mistake, so I don’t use it anymore. I’ve tried changing the “weight” but that doesn’t help at all. Any ideas???
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruford74 View Post
I don’t understand the fact that many productions and people are using this device. We tried using it for our TV shows but if one person yells or speaks louder than the other, the person that is speaking lower gets cut out, or the volume drop substantially. It sounds like a horrible mistake, so I don’t use it anymore. I’ve tried changing the “weight” but that doesn’t help at all. Any ideas???
the trick is to insert any automixer post eq/dynamics, meaning you're using dynamics to keep loud voices under control but then let the automixer ride the levels (not post fader though: you may still want to push up/down channels). if one voice is softer, bring up the gain as you would without any automixer. use weight only for the moderator so s/he can overpower other panel paticipants - works quite well with yamaha desks, waves plugins or with studer's slightly different version called vistamix...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
the trick is to insert any automixer post eq/dynamics, meaning you're using dynamics to keep loud voices under control but then let the automixer ride the levels (not post fader though: you may still want to push up/down channels). if one voice is softer, bring up the gain as you would without any automixer. use weight only for the moderator so s/he can overpower other panel paticipants - works quite well with yamaha desks, waves plugins or with studer's slightly different version called vistamix...
There's no "trick" to it. That's the proper way to implement Auto-Mix and maintain control.

The problem is with the expectation that the Dugan will completely automate the process. Auto mix is an AID, not a replcement for an operator.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruford74 View Post
You still need to get a correct mix balance the old fashioned way.

Also, you most should rarely use weight. Weight is for if you have a host that you want to ‘win.’ In my experience many people are using weight incorrectly—they think it’s gain, it’s not. I went to one studio and they were using weight, but all the weight was set the same.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search