The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
anyone get a soundcraft ui16 yet? Mixers (Digital)
Old 1 week ago
  #2581
Gear Maniac
I was asked by some young friends to help them set up their analog system the other night for a one-guitar/two-vocal duo. Mackie Profx12 into EV powered speakers. They had run it the week before and had some overheating and overdriving issues.

Pretty simple to see what they had wrong: really low mic preamp trim settings for Shure 58s, like +10db or so. Turned everything else down, brought the trims up to where the green signal light flickered, brought the master up to show 3 green bars, and brought the EVs up to a good input gain and final room level.

Straightforward for an experienced sound tech, but what hit me was how spoiled I've gotten using the Ui16 for nearly two years now. No solo options at all on the Mackie, so the little signal green is the only indication of preamp trim. On the Ui, I can see exactly what each input is doing, not to mention being able to fine-tune eq and feel with the RTA once the show starts. I'd almost forgotten how primitive even decent analog stuff was by comparison. To be able to level up every last detail with the final reinforcement muted is such a luxury!

I dropped a few hints that their Mackie analog mixer is probably worth 80% of the cost of a new Ui12...
Old 1 week ago
  #2582
Lives for gear
My ui12 disconnected enough on me that it has been sitting in my garage for about 2 years now because I am done wasting my time on it. My Xr16 hasn't disconnected a single time, and it conveniently comes with rack ears and doesn't have a pesky walwart. Haven't had any issues with my XR12, either.
Old 1 week ago
  #2583
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
My ui12 disconnected enough on me that it has been sitting in my garage for about 2 years now because I am done wasting my time on it. My Xr16 hasn't disconnected a single time, and it conveniently comes with rack ears and doesn't have a pesky walwart. Haven't had any issues with my XR12, either.
Same here; I switched to a QSC Touchmix and it has been rock-solid, including the little wifi dongle, which has never disconnected in comparison to the Soundcraft Ui12 which disconnected multiple times every gig and I was never able to get an external router to work.

They've updated the firmware quite a few times since the last time I used it, and some of those updates fixed connectivity problems, so I may dig it out this summer, update it, and bring it along as a backup mixer. But I don't think I'd ever trust it.
Old 1 week ago
  #2584
Gear Maniac
I have to wonder if there's something peculiar to the Ui12 that doesn't similarly afflict the 16, or whether they may have had QC issues with a production run or two. My non-techie friends have used their Ui12 for 18 months now at a weekly open mic with no more than a transient networking glitch or two.

That said, the XR12 is at a comparable price point, but the QSCs start at nearly three times the price of the Ui12...twice the Ui16 and in the ballpark of the Ui24R. I'm just curious as to why the Ui12 would have so many issues that seem to be much less or absent in the Ui16, since they're essentially two versions of the same core hardware.
Old 1 week ago
  #2585
Lives for gear
Remember that the ui16 was designed with an hdmi port that is not present on the ui12. I don't know, but I suspect that if you opened up your ui16, you might find a slightly more powerful processor than in the ui12 that may have been intended to handle the processing associated with the hdmi feature, even though not implemented on the ui16.

One poster in this thread made pictures early on of the internals of the ui12 so we know what processor it is using. But I don't know what processor is used in the ui16.
Old 6 days ago
  #2586
Here for the gear
 

Hey everyone and greetings from Finland! I just purchased my Ui16 and am really excited to try this on the weekend with my band. After reading a lot of these comments on this post, I am thinking what could be my best option for a backup, if something were to happen to the connection. My only laptop is a Macbook Pro that doesn't have the cat5 port. So then I'm thinking should I get a 2 band router possibly? Does anyone know if the cheaper ones (max 50dollars) are any better than the built in one?

Another question I am wondering, what kind of footswitch do I need to work with this? Does it mute all FX or just reverb and delay?

Thanks a lot guys, it was an interesting read through many of these pages. Got a little worried as I had already placed my order and the connection issues started coming up on this thread. Well I updated the latest firmware the first thing, I guess that's all I can do about that. All the qualities of the mixer seem awesome and can't wait to try it with my band and see how it actually sounds!
Old 6 days ago
  #2587
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazer View Post
I just purchased my Ui16

So then I'm thinking should I get a 2 band router possibly? Does anyone know if the cheaper ones (max 50dollars) are any better than the built in one?

Got a little worried as I had already placed my order and the connection issues started coming up on this thread. Well I updated the latest firmware the first thing, I guess that's all I can do about that.
I'm amazed that people are still buying these after all the bad press - I'd certainly be buying elsewhere! Though it's reported that the stability is improved, it's worth checking it's performance with phantom power enabled - that was one of the other problems, and not fixable with firmware.

While I can't specifically comment for the UI16, my experience with other digital desks is that any old router is normally fine - no need to spend top dollar at all. You do need a little knowledge to set the networking up, though...
Old 6 days ago
  #2588
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
I'm amazed that people are still buying these after all the bad press - I'd certainly be buying elsewhere! Though it's reported that the stability is improved, it's worth checking it's performance with phantom power enabled - that was one of the other problems, and not fixable with firmware.

While I can't specifically comment for the UI16, my experience with other digital desks is that any old router is normally fine - no need to spend top dollar at all. You do need a little knowledge to set the networking up, though...
Yeah I was looking into the XR18 but the Ui16 was still over 200€ cheaper, so I thought I'm gonna see if this is enough for me, and if not, then go for the XR18.

I rarely use phantom power, max 1-2 channels. And only in soundcheck I will be able to go do any mixing offstage, as when I'm playing, the rack will be always close to me so I'm hoping the wifi won't be a problem.
Old 6 days ago
  #2589
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazer View Post
Yeah I was looking into the XR18 but the Ui16 was still over 200€ cheaper, so I thought I'm gonna see if this is enough for me, and if not, then go for the XR18.

I rarely use phantom power, max 1-2 channels. And only in soundcheck I will be able to go do any mixing offstage, as when I'm playing, the rack will be always close to me so I'm hoping the wifi won't be a problem.
That EUR 200 saving is only good value if the cheaper option works for you - so definitely check it out well now and make sure you have a keeper. Check and see if your phantom powered sources are OK, i.e., no excessive noise. Also, while the XR18 may be pricier, the XR16 is rather less - and remember, the I/O count of the UI16 is somewhere between the XR16 and XR18 - all depends on what you need.

As for the wifi, don't even try and use the internal wifi - that's where most problems come from. As well as being weak, there are other issues which can give you grief, which you'll typically only discover when the venue fills up later. It's not just about distance to the device! First rule of wireless mixers - always use an external router.
Old 6 days ago
  #2590
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
First rule of wireless mixers - always use an external router.
Second rule is to use a channel that's not already being jammed by people's smartphones in the audience (easiest is if you have a router with 5g as an option, as there won't be much if any traffic there). Third rule is to name your router something like "No Internet" so people don't keep pinging it to log into it.
Old 6 days ago
  #2591
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Second rule is to use a channel that's not already being jammed by people's smartphones in the audience (easiest is if you have a router with 5g as an option, as there won't be much if any traffic there). Third rule is to name your router something like "No Internet" so people don't keep pinging it to log into it.
An interesting one about the frequency, and I wonder if that (like other things, especially RF) is country dependent). I've always had my routers at home and for production work set to "auto" for frequency, and it's always served me well. I have a scanner on my phone to use if I need to deal with a problem situation, but have always found the auto setting to work well.

Is that not a thing in the US?
Old 6 days ago
  #2592
Here for the gear
 

Okay so I started feeling annoyed and after all the multitrack recording is a very nice option. So I'm taking the Ui16 back and getting a Midas MR18 instead, since the XR18 seems to be out everywhere.
Old 6 days ago
  #2593
Lives for gear
You will still benefit from using an external router. Just folllow Behringers how to video on Youtube.

If you use android, Mixing Station Pro for the XR is fantastic. It costs about $5-6 and will let you customize your controls to suit you.
Old 5 days ago
  #2594
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazer View Post
Hey everyone and greetings from Finland! I just purchased my Ui16 and am really excited to try this on the weekend with my band. After reading a lot of these comments on this post, I am thinking what could be my best option for a backup, if something were to happen to the connection. My only laptop is a Macbook Pro that doesn't have the cat5 port. So then I'm thinking should I get a 2 band router possibly? Does anyone know if the cheaper ones (max 50dollars) are any better than the built in one?

Another question I am wondering, what kind of footswitch do I need to work with this? Does it mute all FX or just reverb and delay?

Thanks a lot guys, it was an interesting read through many of these pages. Got a little worried as I had already placed my order and the connection issues started coming up on this thread. Well I updated the latest firmware the first thing, I guess that's all I can do about that. All the qualities of the mixer seem awesome and can't wait to try it with my band and see how it actually sounds!
Hi Mazer--I've been using a Netgear WNDR3400v1 router that became surplus when our broadband provider upgraded our modem/router a few years ago. You can find them on ebay as low as $20 US with power supply. I don't know much about networking, but my Silicon Valley expert stepson configured it for me 18 months ago, and it has worked perfectly ever since. The epiphany for me was that the router is the hub of the network, your tablet/phone/computers are the control devices, and the Ui16 is the controlled device. I can log on to both 2.4 and 5 ghz at the same time with different devices and have all of them control the mixer.

Once you get the networking numbers lined up, be sure to disable both the internal hotspot and the internal wifi options. We also removed the antenna just to trim the ship a bit. Ethernet cable from mixer port to a switch port (put tape over the modem port so it doesn't accidentally get plugged in there) on the router, fire up both mixer and router. Wait for router network(s) to show in your tablet/phone/computer wifi dialog, connect, open your html5-compliant (>400± score at html5test.com out of a possible 555) browser, and navigate to the device number you assigned to the Ui16 (in our case 10.10.10.55). You should be able to connect your laptop wirelessly, so the absence of an ethernet port shouldn't matter. I've connected my old Powerbook G4 both ways.

Once you've connected the first time, your devices should remember the link and go straight to it the next time when you open the browser. If you forget to connect the cable at either end, you'll draw a blank, so double-check that if it hangs up. On Android, you can put a link to the Ui on your home screen (I use Chrome v66), but Apple requires that you use Safari to put a direct icon there on an iPad or iPhone.

So I plug everything together, power up mixer and router, wait for and select the Ui-specific network, tap the link on the home page, and voila! the virtual mixer is there ready to go. Time after time.

You're going to love working with this mixer, especially if you've used analogue desks before. Study the manual and the Soundcraft tutorial videos. Good luck.
Old 4 days ago
  #2595
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazer View Post
Okay so I started feeling annoyed and after all the multitrack recording is a very nice option. So I'm taking the Ui16 back and getting a Midas MR18 instead, since the XR18 seems to be out everywhere.
Ah, hadn't spotted that you need to get to the UI24 to get multi-track recording in the UI range. That does start to make the UI16 look a little less competitive, if multi-track recording is important to you!

Hope you end up happy with the solution you've picked. It's a steady and capable box.
Old 4 days ago
  #2596
Lives for gear
In my opinion, Soundcraft should have given us a new UI to take the place of the Ui12 and UI16 somewhere near those price points with the performance and feature set of the UI24. And the Ui24 should have been a 32 track board. I think there are a boatload of UI12/16 users who would trade up if there was a more affordable option than the ui24 at its price point.

Or Soundcraft should have done a trade in credit for us Ui12 owners as a gesture of customer goodwill. After my Ui12 experience, I. wont be buying Soundcraft branded products again.
Old 4 days ago
  #2597
Here for the gear
 

On the UI16, what's the difference between the hotspot and the wifi setup? I'm only running the hot spot, and the wifi is disabled.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump