The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Admin/Workflow/Being Organised
Old 6th January 2020
Admin/Workflow/Being Organised

Here's a question I am trying to work on and refine my approach to at the moment - how do you go about creating an archive and filing system for various projects?

It's not a particularly exciting question to be asking, but at some point in time, you have to come to the conclusion that being organised and having a system of data storage that makes sense is of vital importance if you want to be able to stay on top of multiple projects and information over time.

For each project I am creating folders and subfolders with material (lyrics, chords, demos), final files (bounced tracks/stems, mixes, masters), artwork, promo stuff/correspondence, costs/budget, etc. I know this is a never-ending task and I want it to serve my efforts rather than become a distraction or an excuse to get nothing done.

I am curious how everyone else goes about doing these things for their workflow and what thought goes into their approach, and would love to hear if anyone has any insights or hard-won methodology on this side of things.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I copy and paste this set of folders into every new project. then direct the project to 00 Project Audio as the main folder.

Mixes Stems and tracks etc I consider as part of the project.

the other (spun off) folders are for operations I may perform and create other content which is derived from the project, but not actually part of it. there are sets of them ready in case I spin off content and want types of content to be independently saved out.

I also have a couple of more generic folders somewhere common, which are used to place Audio or Midi content
which I may use as common content for any other new project. those are what I tend to prefer to use but this below structure
is always there in every project just in case. it may as well be a large general structure, just in case was my reasoning.
I could always not copy some of the folders in, if I begin to think it constitutes overkill.

Old 1 week ago
That's interesting. So you keep all the audio files in the session folders? I'm guessing that you are looking at my question specifically or solely from the point of recording/engineering perspective, which is fine and valid.

I also have a folder/sub-folder template (still sunject to refinement), but it's a bit more complicated as I am trying to look at this from the perspective of an artist too, as I have to keep project folders with audio/recording files from sessions, mixes, but also masters, stems, and then other things like demos, lyric/chord sheets, artwork, budget lists, invoices, etc. Do you have an entirely separate filing system for invoices and financial stuff?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

well folders are really one of the only options, so whatever your needs are will determine your folder structure. it seems logical to make a simplest folder structure version and a most complex one. then you can just copy it when you need it.

this structure below, generally goes into every new project. it would be nice if I could make the DAW construct the folders automatically but that's not really possible. but as I say, I also have a more generic structure placed somewhere, where I might place generally useful audio and generally useful midi files. rather than have those buried in some project which I won't easily remember, which project it was.

what's difficult is figuring out the best way to be able to treat all content as a general asset base, which all new or existing projects can easily share amongst each other. while at the same time keeping each project easy enough to find and navigate the content which applies to that given project. the two cases are sort of mutually exclusive. if you have just one place where all the audio goes, that place will begin to populate with very large amounts of files. so you have a complexity problem at that point.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search