The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to organise music???
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

How to organise music???

Hello,

I'm looking on some help on how to organise my music collection.

I'm 38, so my collecting history is collected on cd > iPod happened > ripped all cds to wav and put on iPod > get bamboozled by the world of streaming and not owning anything.

So now I have the cds, copies of the cds, cds not ripped as I stopped using my iPod for a bit, and hundreds of vinyl.

What I would like to achieve is finding a solution that does the following...
1. all music exists digitally in a lossless format (original copies retained)
2. I can add info to music / tracks and then sort and search by that (factual stuff like release date and also subjective stuff like what kind of vibe it has)
3. The solution is as future proof as possible (even if that means when I'm 90 I'm running some obsolete laptop)
4. It's all stored locally somewhere and in my control rather than cloud based
5. It works for a pc guy with an iphone.

Preferably I don't want to buy software to do this, partly in case it becomes obsolete and partly because I want to avoid more subscriptions.

So what are your thoughts? How do you all do this? What software, what format, etc?

Technology is fab, i just don't have the time to keep keeping-up with it, so I want to make a final choice now on how to proceed and stick with that and more my great grandchildren with it.

Cheers

Ethyl
Old 4 weeks ago
I use Microsoft Excel but if you wanted to get really fancy, you could use Microsoft Access and build yourself a custom database. Easy peasy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I use Microsoft Excel but if you wanted to get really fancy, you could use Microsoft Access and build yourself a custom database. Easy peasy.
Thanks man, but I was more thinking a solution like iplayer that would house the tracks and the info but I don’t think iplayer caters for Wavs. I think Serato might do it, but I need to research if the one off payment version does it and if any info I recorded would be attached to serato or part of the file itself.

& Excel is subscription
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I just use iTunes for the newly bought digital music and ripped CDs. For "every day" music.
iTunes allows categories and ratings like you specify. And its free.

...And a record player with Vinyls for the moments when I have time to listen.

I dont care much for "lossless" - I am much more listening to music than listening to sound, especially on the phone or as background-playlist.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
And manually enter the info for all of the songs? That's easy? Man I am wayyyyyy lazier than you But since I have literally tens of thousands of songs total, that's not at all workable.

I can't speak to any mobile apps, but if you can accept having it handy on your PC, I heard about and strongly recommend: https://www.freewarefiles.com/PlayTi...ram_74923.html

If you have all of your songs in a given folder on your laptop, it will auto scan the folder and save info on all of your tunes to a CSV file (which can be opened/used/converted by Excel). It automatically extracts whatever meta info (file name, length, size, type etc) the file has and you can then sort or filter however you want.

I also use the MS Media Player to create playlists and can sort there as well.

PS: to edit the metadata on any given track, I use Winamp. Just drag the song in there, change whatever you want, and it's auto saved. This is helpful since a lot of the tunes I got the info was borked up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search