The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cold Showers Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

Cold Showers

Will reset your mind and refresh your body. Stress tolerance will increase. Other claim that it stimulates the immune system, but I couldn't measure this, so it's up to you to decide if that's the case or not. All in all...it's definitely worth it. I advice people to read more literature before, it is a thermal shock and you need to build cold resistance gradually to do this safely. Also make sure to discuss it with your doctor, specially if you're on any given medication.

Cheers!
Old 15th November 2018
Here for the gear

My university dorm didn't have hot showers, and I took cold showers for like two years.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100raku View Post
My university dorm didn't have hot showers, and I took cold showers for like two years.
Sometimes less is more, right?
Old 16th November 2018
Here for the gear

It kind of helped strengthening my immune system but the process is too much fun and swearing.
Old 17th November 2018
Here for the gear

All about them. They boost your metabolic health exponentially and create a particular type of fat around your vital organs that allows you to stay more heat efficient. They also regulate your thyroid. Had thyroid problems my whole life. Still do, but symptoms have diminished exponentially with help of cold showers.
Old 18th November 2018
I'll skip the shock and awe of a cold shower and rather have a nice hot cup of coffee.

Old 20th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Considering that I keep the thermostat set around 58F during the wintertime, I don't know if I'd want to also take cold showers... Maybe in the spring- and summertime.
Old 21st November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldPowerLabs View Post
Considering that I keep the thermostat set around 58F during the wintertime, I don't know if I'd want to also take cold showers... Maybe in the spring- and summertime.
I guess that makes it more tolerable to take a cold shower? Water can still be freezing cold though...
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldPowerLabs View Post
Cold showers in the wintertime are trully painful if you live in a cold climate. I get my natural heat back only 2-3 hours after I go to bed. But still, the benefits seem to surpass the harshness of icy water all over you. It's that good.
Old 21st November 2018
I have arthritis, cold showers definitely can make it worse, but it does seem to boost your immune system, the main thing I've noticed is it helps prevent colds and flu, I very very rarely get colds now.
Old 21st November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I'll skip the shock and awe of a cold shower and rather have a nice hot cup of coffee.

This is the most beautiful gif ever!
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
I have arthritis, cold showers definitely can make it worse, but it does seem to boost your immune system, the main thing I've noticed is it helps prevent colds and flu, I very very rarely get colds now.
I'm surprised to report that I get the same amount of colds/flu during a winter season as prior to starting cold showers(doing this for 3 years now). I'm glad it's working for you, though. Regarding arthritis, it is usually related to the body's incapacity to process animal protein efficiently, hence the joint inflammations. Consider experimenting with 2 weeks of whole-food plant-based diet if you haven't already. Contact me if interested, I can help with my experience.
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
I'm surprised to report that I get the same amount of colds/flu during a winter season as prior to starting cold showers(doing this for 3 years now). I'm glad it's working for you, though. Regarding arthritis, it is usually related to the body's incapacity to process animal protein efficiently, hence the joint inflammations. Consider experimenting with 2 weeks of whole-food plant-based diet if you haven't already. Contact me if interested, I can help with my experience.
Yeah, but arthritis can also result from one's cartilage being worn down to almost nothing, like in the case of osteoarthritis. It's possible and debatable whether or not diet helps the inflammation . But no amount of animal fat processing is going to grow the cartilage back.

But yeah, cold showers. Can increase dopamine levels and therefore mood and energy levels.
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen View Post
Yeah, but arthritis can also result from one's cartilage being worn down to almost nothing, like in the case of osteoarthritis. It's possible and debatable whether or not diet helps the inflammation . But no amount of animal fat processing is going to grow the cartilage back.
Try a vegan diet for 2 weeks as an experiment. You don't risk anything, it's a short time period. I remember having issues with my joints also 2 years ago, and since I did the switch...gone. Many reports this days about the benefits on being vegan. Think about it, cheers!
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

This past year I started
1. Intermittent fasting
2. Tracking Macros/Micronutrients using Cronometer(get this app!)
3. Taking cold showers

I played music my whole life, studied it in college, toured, gigged, cowrote for singer songwriters. Have perfect relative pitch so I can transcribe most any melody, chord progression I hear(Jazz and some more complex music takes me a while longer).

I've always struggled with severe inattentive ADHD and have had a strange perfectionism/depression thing going on that kept me from recording and finishing my own music. I struggled to play rhythmically tight in sessions, and I had acid reflux that would destroy my voice after 2 songs. Chronic joint pain slowed me down as well.

At 28 years old, my ADHD is gone along with my joint pain, depression. My sense of rhythm is 10x better in 3 months, my voice is better. I'm 45lbs lighter and have more muscle mass(almost have abs). Best of all, I'm finishing music I wrote and my creative process is much faster as well as the depth of my a ability to learn.

I wish I made these lifestyle changes 10 years ago. My career would have gone a completely different direction.

Guys, don't wait. Make lifestyle changes today. Your health is everything. It will effect your musicality, human interaction(potential opportunities), family and your enjoyment of life in general.

YouTube ->
1. Thomas Delauer (Health, Nutrition etc)
2. Wim Hof (He's an inspiration(for cold showers))
Old 22nd January 2019
so lets get this straight, you are telling me if I become vegan today, all my osteoarthritis is going to magically disappear? show me the academic peer reviewed evidence
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen View Post

But yeah, cold showers. Can increase dopamine levels and therefore mood and energy levels.
As can hot showers... every retired doorkicker knows the ancient secret of taking your pain meds just before jumping into a boiling shower... opens up your old veins and gets the medicine through much faster...
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
so lets get this straight, you are telling me if I become vegan today, all my osteoarthritis is going to magically disappear?
And your sense of rhythm will be 10X better. So when you shake your groove thang, it won't hurt.
Old 23rd January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
And your sense of rhythm will be 10X better. So when you shake your groove thang, it won't hurt.
yeah I'll try and dislocate my hips in time with the beat, cos eating non animal products will grow back the missing cartilage, it's AMAZING what food can do.
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
so lets get this straight, you are telling me if I become vegan today, all my osteoarthritis is going to magically disappear? show me the academic peer reviewed evidence
Why don't you try it for yourself? No big deal, 2 weeks on a whole-food plant-based diet and you can get your own conclusions. Regarding the scientific part visit Dr. Michael Greger's youtube channel (and website) called nutritionfacts.org.
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrimsdream View Post
This past year I started
1. Intermittent fasting
2. Tracking Macros/Micronutrients using Cronometer(get this app!)
3. Taking cold showers

From my experience intermittent fasting didn't quite deliver as expected(I tried it for 30 days, with 16-18hours of fasting/day but couldn't tell significant benefits). Recently I tried a water fast for 5 days and I think I can see some very interesting benefits to it(it might be IT), however, need to repeat it again 2-3 times for a period of 7-9 days/session before getting to a conclusion. I think it is very worth it, but "work on progress" for now.

Very happy for you, keep doing what you're doing!
Old 25th January 2019
When you did your water fast did you notice a mental “perk” around day 3-4? I’ve only tried it once but felt really REALLY sharp/clear after the first couple of sucky days.

I want to try a longer one of around 10 days. I wasn’t hungry when I ended the first one, I just didn’t want to overdo it on the first time just in case.

The science of fasting to me seems more conclusive and I am thinking of doing a fast once every couple of months to help regulate weight. It is really only the first 2 days that are hard. A little willpower for 2 days is a lot easier in my opinion than dealing with the alternatives which are a lot more complicated. Not to mention that it actually SAVES money!
Old 25th January 2019
Quote:
Why don't you try it for yourself? No big deal, 2 weeks on a whole-food plant-based diet and you can get your own conclusions. Regarding the scientific part visit Dr. Michael Greger's youtube channel (and website) called nutritionfacts.org.
here's the thing, I already eat a lot of whole food and plant based foods in my diet, I eat like a king and look after myself, it's just that I eat meat as well, not excessively but I like having a balanced diet which includes dairy, so I already eat loads of it and am pretty healthy.

p.s

I'd also like to point out that I'm not a typical fat american, I am a thin slender and physically fit person from the UK, thanks
Old 25th January 2019
when the hip clicks get above 120 dB SPL I try and flam them by about 1/32nd, I feel inspired by the drums in nirvana and 1990s grunge and have an excellent time on the dance floor.
Old 25th January 2019
I've been doing the hot-cold-hot shower for months. Usually I spontaneously decide while taking a hot shower to flip on the cold because I'm feeling a little stressed and tense, and want that relaxing feeling that comes after I switch it back to hot. It's so relaxing that frankly now I'm kind of addicted to the Hot-cold-hot showers. It's temporary relief and it feels good.

The first few weeks I had trepidation when flipping that knob to cold. Now I'm like whatever let's go, it's time for cold, I've done this so many times it's just a temporary cold feeling. I know, sounds like the ramblings/mumblings of a crazy person but overall it's really not a big thing anymore.

You wont notice any changes for weeks but over the months I've become more extrinsic (rather than intrinsic type person) more confident, stronger mind/resolve, stronger determination. I know this because I've changed slightly and can feel it. It's great to do things that other people think are hard and you think are easy, and that's how it is I consider cold showers easy now. Also, of course it's a wake up call, that Your Alive! Sends the signal to the entire body which is connected to the mind. All good, and creates positive vibes when you can make it through life, through the thick and the thin of it!!! Totally recommended! (now let's see how many crazies there are :> )
Old 25th January 2019
Quote:
Will reset your mind and refresh your body. Stress tolerance will increase. Other claim that it stimulates the immune system, but I couldn't measure this, so it's up to you to decide if that's the case or not. All in all...it's definitely worth it. I advice people to read more literature before, it is a thermal shock and you need to build cold resistance gradually to do this safely. Also make sure to discuss it with your doctor, specially if you're on any given medication.

Cheers!
I think that's a bunch of BS. I never 'developed any cold resistance to do it safely'. I'm in my 40's and 6'1 160lbs and was the first one to be shivering when I was a kid. The body was designed to survive the seasons and humans have evolved for millenia before we had modern insulation, oil furnaces and baseboard heating to withstand the cold and the elements. We're stronger than we think, everyone is so afraid to just jump in. If you have any fear (at all) then you will not do it!!! You have to have no concerns and worries at all, because really it's not much different than running and jumping into a cold lake which we did as kids.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post
When you did your water fast did you notice a mental “perk” around day 3-4? I’ve only tried it once but felt really REALLY sharp/clear after the first couple of sucky days.
Can't say that I did, maybe a little bit, but no major improvement. I did read about this effect on many people, but I'm already vegan for 2 years, taking cold showers for 3 years, so I already have a good, sharp, clear mind overall compared to how I was before this adventure in healthy living. I am positive that this effect is very obvious to people who don't eat very healthy or indulging in a less ideal lifestyle. What I did notice (so I think for now) is improvement on some of my health issues that were not cured by my vegan diet. I will report back on this after I repeat the fast in 2-3 sessions to provide solid feedback. Too many guesses for now.

I would recommend to be cautious and increase the length of the fast by small steps. Safety first, as they say. Most likely will consider adding 2 more days for my next fast, and another 2 for the next one, and only if everything runs smooth. I would be very happy to be capable of fasting for 9 days at one point, I've seen recommendations that 1 fast for around 9 days/year is already very good if you're healthy enough, will see, I'm considering the 7 days fast for now and will take it from there. Again, my guess is that fasting it's excellent and the body does indeed heal itself at a different pace compared to our normal day-to-day routine. Will see.

You got it all right, very happy to see other people like me trying to be active when comes to our own health. Best wishes!
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geob View Post
I think that's a bunch of BS. I never 'developed any cold resistance to do it safely'. I'm in my 40's and 6'1 160lbs and was the first one to be shivering when I was a kid. The body was designed to survive the seasons and humans have evolved for millenia before we had modern insulation, oil furnaces and baseboard heating to withstand the cold and the elements. We're stronger than we think, everyone is so afraid to just jump in. If you have any fear (at all) then you will not do it!!! You have to have no concerns and worries at all, because really it's not much different than running and jumping into a cold lake which we did as kids.
It's not BS, it's from my 3 years experience. Done right you do get a cold resistance, but it still hurts every time. You never get used to it, but you do learn to accept it over time, if it makes any sense.

From your previous post sounds like you're playing a lot with the hot-cold-hot water. You didn't expose your body enough to cold water for now I think, which is fine, we are indeed tropical beings, it's normal to avoid the cold, but if you want to get more you need to expose yourself for more. That simple. Wim Hof teaches about this stuff, he offers valuable tips on how to get better at this if interested. He speaks about breathing techniques and certain mindset, as you also mentioned it(not being afraid). Many materials uploaded on youtube about this. Cheers!
Old 28th March 2019
Here for the gear

I heard that contrast shower really helps to wake up
Old 29th March 2019
Quote:
It's not BS, it's from my 3 years experience. Done right you do get a cold resistance, but it still hurts every time. You never get used to it, but you do learn to accept it over time, if it makes any sense.

From your previous post sounds like you're playing a lot with the hot-cold-hot water. You didn't expose your body enough to cold water for now I think, which is fine, we are indeed tropical beings, it's normal to avoid the cold, but if you want to get more you need to expose yourself for more. That simple. Wim Hof teaches about this stuff, he offers valuable tips on how to get better at this if interested. He speaks about breathing techniques and certain mindset, as you also mentioned it(not being afraid). Many materials uploaded on youtube about this. Cheers!
I usually let the cold run until skin and everything feels cold and I'm almost frigid but over the months it's been of less concern. It's winter now and the water comes from our well in the ground which is COLD and I can stand 30 seconds or a minute of cold, I just want to run it to change the blood flow (cold causes blood to flow to the interior organs), hot makes blood flow to the exterior to help dissipate too much heat away from the organs. So it's getting movement where there is stasis. I've started stopping my shower on cold (instead of hot) because I leave feeling wide awake, rejuvenized, revitalized and like RAWR ready to go at 7AM in the morning. And it even helps with hangovers, this morning I went running 6 miles from 7-8 AM, then took a hot-cold-hot-cold shower and then tackled the day which included over 4 hours of meetings, unfortunately. This corporate life is grating and burning out unfortunately but we can do things to keep our inspiration alive, and to keep us on our toes and running.That's me, maybe not be for everyone. But that's me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search