The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cold Showers
Old 29th March 2019
  #31
I checked out images of Wim Hof (pictures worth a thousand words right?) and he's a bad arse fricking crazy person just like one of those ultra marathoners, and not just any ultra person but the most extreme ones, I mean the ones that intentionally scale mountains and many thousands of feet elevations and suffer through it all. I'm one of those (people) crazies, and I have an ultra in 2 weeks. It's not the distance, it's the dangerous level of the trail and how many times you can totally mess up if you take a wrong step and end up in the hospital permanently. End of running career. I respect him as a crazy ultra runner and if I didnt have my obsession might get into that also. Does it hurt more than an ultra? The desert ultra runners are also crazy, it's the opposite- oppressive heat that might kill you, well over 100 degrees. I would not wish that on anyone except people really want to be 'exceptional' and be looked down on as crazy. Thing is you feel alone but not when there are other people that think like you. We're all snowflakes but sometimes extremists can hook up with other extremists and when we do we have a BLAST!!!! Hey.. Whatever!
Old 30th March 2019
  #32
cold showers are the real deal - Recently getting back into the sauna/cold combo, favored by the likes of Rick Rubin, rich investors, etc. Sitting in a dry sauna for 30+ min before plunging into the pool. It's like being reborn.
Old 9th April 2019
  #33
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geob View Post
I checked out images of Wim Hof (pictures worth a thousand words right?) and he's a bad arse fricking crazy person just like one of those ultra marathoners, and not just any ultra person but the most extreme ones, I mean the ones that intentionally scale mountains and many thousands of feet elevations and suffer through it all. I'm one of those (people) crazies, and I have an ultra in 2 weeks. It's not the distance, it's the dangerous level of the trail and how many times you can totally mess up if you take a wrong step and end up in the hospital permanently. End of running career. I respect him as a crazy ultra runner and if I didnt have my obsession might get into that also. Does it hurt more than an ultra? The desert ultra runners are also crazy, it's the opposite- oppressive heat that might kill you, well over 100 degrees. I would not wish that on anyone except people really want to be 'exceptional' and be looked down on as crazy. Thing is you feel alone but not when there are other people that think like you. We're all snowflakes but sometimes extremists can hook up with other extremists and when we do we have a BLAST!!!! Hey.. Whatever!
Wim Hof masters the power of breathing, hence capable to support his body in stressful conditions with high levels of oxygen. This is his major skill. Everything he does it's derived from this efficient breathing.

Good luck with the run!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #34
Lives for gear
 
stinkyfingers's Avatar
 

Scientific studies have shown that taking cold showers almost completely eliminates the risk of being scalded by hot water.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #35
Since I last posted in March 29, I've been taking hot-cold showers daily. Since I last posted I've questioned every week whether it's really something I do. In the same way some people love the relaxed feeling of being high (on exercise endorphins or cannabis) I enjoy in the same way the relaxed feeling from these showers and it's just a part of life. The cold like jumping into a lake is just cold, and I dont jump into lakes but the thought doesnt discourage me, the thought is rather easy, and I would probably jump into a cold ocean now on a bet, or just for the heck of it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #36
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geob View Post
In the same way some people love the relaxed feeling of being high (on exercise endorphins or cannabis) I enjoy in the same way the relaxed feeling from these showers and it's just a part of life.
Yeap, cold showers are a way to get high. And if you want to get higher ...add in the Wim Hof breathing technique(it's not actually his, is from Tibet, different story, but doesn't matter). And there are no side effects other than feeding you cells with oxygen, hence improving their respiratory function, hence improving your overall immune system. Win-Win! Instructions are also posted on his channel. You absolutely don't need plants and complicated man-made chemicals to feel high, that's kids stuff.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
Yeap, cold showers are a way to get high. And if you want to get higher ...add in the Wim Hof breathing technique(it's not actually his, is from Tibet, different story, but doesn't matter). And there are no side effects other than feeding you cells with oxygen, hence improving their respiratory function, hence improving your overall immune system. Win-Win! Instructions are also posted on his channel. You absolutely don't need plants and complicated man-made chemicals to feel high, that's kids stuff.
Did you know there are oxygen bars where you can inhale o2? I imagine after a night full of drinking you'll want to go to an oxygen bar in the morning to get rid of the hangover. When I was in college (heavy partying on Friday and Saturday nights) I woke up with a splitting headache and the only thing that fixed it was going running. I found that an extreme hangover (splitting headache type) generally needed 5-6 miles of moderate/hard running the next day to solve it. Powerful stuff, I dont know if anything else that can beat that. OF course running does distribute O2 (through moving blood) pretty much everywhere when your running. :> Some people walk and feel good and dont know why they walk but its pretty much the same reason I bet.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #38
because of the recent heatwave I've started again, feels good!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #39
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
Scientific studies have shown that taking cold showers almost completely eliminates the risk of being scalded by hot water.
Unless one is dipped in a vat of liquid nitrogen before said cold shower. Wouldn't it have a scalding effect, assuming one isn't dead first?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #40
Gear Maniac
 

I've been having cold showers now for about a year, although in Australian summer the water is a fairly comfortable 18 degrees usually, so it's not a hardship. Winter is testing me a lot more, and every morning I vow that its the last, then I really enjoy it. It wakes me up much more quickly, I get very alert, and I get energised. Then I step out the shower and feel knackered and cold :-D

The only benefits I have noticed are an increased mental tolerance for cold, and better skin. I think like a lot of online folk medicine suggestions, a lot of the "benefits" are probably bull****. The Wim Hof papers are convincing however.

There are indeed dangers to rapid cold exposure if one has a heart condition, so building up tolerance slowly is very important.

Extended fasting to me seems very dangerous, and also very unnecessary. I don't know why anyone would do it. Happy to see a peer reviewed paper in a reputable journal to set me straight though.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #41
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw63 View Post
I've been having cold showers now for about a year, although in Australian summer the water is a fairly comfortable 18 degrees usually, so it's not a hardship. Winter is testing me a lot more, and every morning I vow that its the last, then I really enjoy it. It wakes me up much more quickly, I get very alert, and I get energised. Then I step out the shower and feel knackered and cold :-D

The only benefits I have noticed are an increased mental tolerance for cold, and better skin. I think like a lot of online folk medicine suggestions, a lot of the "benefits" are probably bull****. The Wim Hof papers are convincing however.

There are indeed dangers to rapid cold exposure if one has a heart condition, so building up tolerance slowly is very important.

Extended fasting to me seems very dangerous, and also very unnecessary. I don't know why anyone would do it. Happy to see a peer reviewed paper in a reputable journal to set me straight though.
Yes, in Europe is pretty much the same, water is around 16 up to 18 degrees, it's not really a cold shower, but in the winter it goes down to 4-5 degrees which makes it a different story. Yes, you have to build tolerance for cold, I don't advise anyone jumping into freezing lakes if they haven't stepped into one from toe to head gradually. Small steps is the key, no matter how healthy you know or think you are. Even if I take ice cold showers during winter I would definitely not jump into a freezing lake if I hadn't walk into one before.

Regarding fasting...it's somewhat the same story. Do a 1 day fast, then a 2 days fast, and so forth, build gradually, and you can make a conclusion for yourself if it's worth it or not. It's a bit more complicated, because this is a spiritual journey as well, you also shouldn't be phisically very active, this is a healing process, you basically tell your body that ...ok, I'm not going to do my routine now, so feel free to clean all the toxins and dead cells lying in me for years, which is what fasting does. Instead of processing the foods you ingest it's processing all the decayed cells gathered in years and years of sometimes not very good habits concerning the mind and the body through the physical activities and the foods we ate. And I do see why the Christine Bible suggests doing water fasts, because if you let your body do its thing, if you trust your cells more than any doctor from the outside you get in a very religious/spiritual state of mind. You do feel warm and fuzzy on the inside, there's absolutely zero negativity, you do feel closer to the Divine, sort of speak. And I did only a 5 day water fast. Sadly I couldn't find time to repeat it again so far(you shouldn't do it if you also have to work and have all sort of social&professional obligations, this time should be spent on yourself), but I'm interested in doing a 9 or 12 days fast the moment I get some free time from my schedule (hopefully in August). I'd say that up to 12 days is a decent water fast, and not an extreme, so you shouldn't be too concerned about anything bad happening. There are people doing it for 40 days and sometimes longer, but again, this is not my purpose, it's not a competition I'm gradually increasing something that works, and wherever I end up it's perfectly fine as long as I see the benefits from it.

Hippocrates: "Natural forces within us are the true healers of disease". "To do nothing is also a good remedy". "Instead of using medicine, rather, fast a day."
Old 3 weeks ago
  #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw63 View Post
The only benefits I have noticed are an increased mental tolerance for cold, and better skin. I think like a lot of online folk medicine suggestions, a lot of the "benefits" are probably bull****. The Wim Hof papers are convincing however.
It makes my day a little more interesting. Thats one of the benefits. It gets me out of the ruts of life. And I get a cold drink of water in the morning (we have a well) while taking a shower. That's good enough. Life is a struggle but I made it past the shower.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #43
Celebrate the little things and it turns into positivity.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #44
Gear Maniac
 

I agree. It sets you up for the day, and I really enjoy the feeling of conquering the shower.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump