The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone else find the cell phone obsession bizarre/insane
Old 19th October 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Like most people, I've had a "smart phone" since about 2008 or 09 or so but for the life of me I can't seem to use it for anything more exciting or absorbing than light texting, ultra-infrequent calls, chess, listening to music and the super-rare internet search. I work in Hong Kong...and it boggles the mind the way people here walk around with their phone strapped like a feed bag in front of their face watching TV shows, playing games or texting. But hey...it's a free world...sort of.

The other day I was driving my car near the entrance of Walmart. This one bozo decides to stop in the middle of the crosswalk to read the screen on his smart phone.

I blasted my horn and scared the crap out of him and then he started yelling at me.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
The other day I was driving my car near the entrance of Walmart. This one bozo decides to stop in the middle of the crosswalk to read the screen on his smart phone.

I blasted my horn and scared the crap out of him and then he started yelling at me.
Everyday. ~
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Lol trusting Snopes for any type of accuracy when they've been debunked over and over...
Examples?
Old 6th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgtraei View Post
It is hard imagine my life without cellphones
I'm really digging my upgrade. I scored lots of kool apps for it. I find myself staring at it constantly now. I find myself constantly adding reminders for my electronic to do list!
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Addict

I'm not exactly the ideal customer. I just find something cheap but effective-ish, and use it 'til it stops working. If I didn't need email and some of the apps for work, I'd probably be perfectly happy still using a flip phone.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

I had wondered if my views of digital toys being The End of Civilization was simply subjective and if there was an objective way of looking at it. I think that there IS a objective measure: namely, that demented driving has become the #1 cause of road accidents. People can't stop whanking the things, even to save their lives. And don't get me going about the selfie-whankers-fall-off-cliff-and-die thing. As Marshall McLuhan wrote: the medium is the message. That's it today: it doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it digitally.
Old 6th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
As Marshall McLuhan wrote: the medium is the message. That's it today: it doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it digitally.
I think you've got it wrong. It has nothing inherent to do with digital.
It's about communication. That is the sole reason people can't leave their mobiles alone.
We are a social species and are hardwired for communication to the point that it can be abused (for instance, by social media companies).

Digital is just a means to an end. If 'analog' allowed people to do the same stuff on portable devices then everyone would be using analog. Most people don't care about analog vs digital. Most people don't even know the difference. They just use technology.
Old 6th December 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
I think you've got it wrong. It has nothing inherent to do with digital.
It's about communication. That is the sole reason people can't leave their mobiles alone.
We are a social species and are hardwired for communication to the point that it can be abused (for instance, by social media companies).
Agreed that it has nothing to do with digital itself (but rather the power and flexibility that digital affords) but it goes deeper than just communication and basic human social behaviour. We are constantly being manipulated in ways that we are often not aware of. Our addiction and automatic response behaviours are being intentionally triggered by the tech companies.

I find this video of a senate hearing with Tristan Harris particularly revealing of what is going on. It covers a lot of aspects in a concentrated way. (There are other TED talks, interviews and podcasts with Tristan Harris that go into more details. They are well worth watching IMO).

Alistair
Old 7th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

"Digital" is the new religion. People buy those systems to do stuff around the house not because if offers value, but because they can feel more digital, more hip and modern by talking to a robot than by turning on the radio manually. Many people will by "driverless" cars (which won't really be driverless) and lots of other crud for the same reason. It's driven by pathological psychology as much as by anything else.

Eventually someone with one of those home-control systems will come to tragedy when he/she/other is welcoming a foreign-speaking guest to the house and badly says something in the foreign language which the robot hears as "screw me with the egg-beater" in English.
Old 8th December 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
Eventually someone with one of those home-control systems will come to tragedy when he/she/other is welcoming a foreign-speaking guest to the house and badly says something in the foreign language which the robot hears as "screw me with the egg-beater" in English.
Hey, now. No kink shaming!
Old 8th December 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, its a terrible.

I have a Nokia with SNake on it. DOes everything I require.

I honestly dont get what 2019 has given me I didnt have to some degree in the 90s.

Worse than the phone obsesion for me is these Alexia things. People PAY MONEY to be spied on???????? hah????

Last year I properly understood was 2005.
Old 10th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
Last year I properly understood was 2005.

The last year that I properly understood was ............................................. ...................

Let me get back to you.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear