The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
When you are stuck.
Old 16th February 2018
When you are stuck.

How do you guys get over that metal boundary when you been working on a project for some time and suddenly gets stuck? Nothing sounds good, tricks that you are used to pull does not sound the same. Except for the ordinary exercise, coffee break, alcohol and food, what are your best tips?

PS, I´m not there, just an interesting topic!

Have a great day you slutz
Old 13th March 2018
I usually will close down my DAW and go do something else. Eventually, upon returning, they'll be a rush of fresh ideas.
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Addict

Start another track/project. Have several on the go. If you have between 4-6 different things all in progress at the same time, then anytime one isn't working just shut it down go to another one, keep cycling around.

One day you're feeling this track, next day you're feeling that track, they all get finished eventually.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Brian Eno swears by this method:
Wikipedia | Oblique Strategies
Here's the online version:
Oblique Strategies - Online
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear
Don't be precious about anything, it's holding onto ideas that create blocks.

I love finishing a great song and then playing people the original idea - often the finished song bares almost no resembalence
to the original idea.

Sometimes the original chord progression or melodic idea has no other purpose than to be a container to hold and nurture
the following ideas that will actually make up a song.

On a blank piece of paper you must make a first mark to create a picture.
Old 5th June 2018
Here for the gear

Taking breaks for me is really important. Helps to reset mentally if I'm getting stuck.
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

Embrace that which saps genius. It is the cost. Dig deep and generate insight from the experience. Just when the mental load gets to be at a tipping point, and all will flees from your fingers, your path, once hidden, will lie before you like an open road.

At least that’s how it works for me. Carry the world, feel the burden, look back, and I see how to lighten the future load.
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

Asking myself WHY it sounds bad and what i could change/edit to fix that.
Old 6th July 2018
Here for the gear
Hm describing a kind of artists block, what one can do is, just do something else.
Well, that even goes for sound-design.

Today i really am not in the mood to work on the track i made the last days. And i know if i force myself to do it, the result will be boring, standard and sound forced.

So i stop for a day or two, or longer if needed and continue when the inner creative energy builds up to a point where it has to be expressed. Loading up.....

What too many people tend to do (including myself sometimes) is buying new gear, and soaking new energy from that piece. That mostly doesnt last long and the new piece will be old pretty soon. I try to avoid that and revisit what options i currently have, still discovering and milking everything out of what i own. Thats where it begins to make fun again.
Old 18th September 2018
Here for the gear

when stuck...

Oblique Strategies was a great call, and there are many app versions you can put on portable devices to take with you in sessions away from home. I try to split my brain in two, choosing the creative or technical side and then working accordingly. If the creative spark is missing, I organize samples, go through libraries or presets to become familiar, or do technical work that is more mechanical than it is creative, still allowing me to feel like I'm moving a project forward. The suggestion about having multiple projects to work on is also important, all of your eggs in one basket can create a tunnel vision as well as a preciousness that can distort objective judgement on aspects of a production.

Hope this helps,

Markman
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear
If you are able to upload the music somewhere like Soundcloud ...

That's what I tend to do whether stuck or not. I like to upload incomplete songs because it seems to give me a totally different perspective than when listening in the DAW. It's like I become more of an audience and less self critical and I'm able to better hear the song and where I think it should go.

I also 100% agree with working on several songs at a time - your mood may dictate what kind of track you prefer to work on. It may not be a daily/temporary mood, it may be that you prefer to work on certain material during the winter vs summer. Or you may had heard another song, and gotten influenced and want to explore a similar technique. For example, I had been watching DnB tutorials the last 2 months, and ended up halting work on 3 projects to work on a DnB inspired track.
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

in that case, I usually relax and have a rest for a couple of days
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Do something simple:

Stand in the sun.

Count to "one".

Here's Cheech to explain:
Old 28th October 2018
Gear Addict

I'm going to be as short and concise as possible:

Change perspective.

It's up to you to understand the meaning of this words. Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
HSi
Lives for gear

Isn't this what drugs are for?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search