The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bad Coffee Will Make You A Happier Person
Old 27th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Near me there's this supermarket called Super King that's half-asian, half Armenian. They lock up their instant coffee along with the fancy liquor.
Yeah, but do they lock up the infant formula?
Old 27th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Yeah, but do they lock up the infant formula?
I'm pretty sure they lock up the condoms. Which are used to lock up one half of the Infant Formula.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
I'd give it another go and try different beans/roasts/blends... as I mentioned above, it's my all-time favourite but I can only drink it when I'm in the US or when my sister can mule me some packs over to this part of the world when she visits occasionally.

Their 'Black Cat' espresso is the one that I would step over my own parents for. But they do other non-espresso roasts that are awesome too. Some are definitely better than others, it's a taste thing, so maybe have a chat with them about it...
I finally gave 'Black Cat' a try after getting a two dollar coupon from my local grocery store. I'm not sure if I would have giving it a go if it weren't for your suggestion. I am loving it and it is a good step up from the 'Komodo Dragon' Starbucks coffee I was drinking for my dark roast (I usually blend a dark roast and medium roast together in a french press). Bringing this thread back to say " Thank you !". I am hooked.
Old 21st January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
I finally gave 'Black Cat' a try after getting a two dollar coupon from my local grocery store. I'm not sure if I would have giving it a go if it weren't for your suggestion. I am loving it and it is a good step up from the 'Komodo Dragon' Starbucks coffee I was drinking for my dark roast (I usually blend a dark roast and medium roast together in a french press). Bringing this thread back to say " Thank you !". I am hooked.
Awesome!! Glad you love it like I do.

I was in Chicago at the end of last summer and picked up a whole pile of it, but I was pretty aghast at how much their prices have gone up since I last had to buy it myself - I know coffee prices around the world are shooting up a lot but I sense there was probably some "we're charging this much because we can". Thankfully, it was a Saturday which meant there were some modest discounts on all their single-origin roasts, so the few bucks saved bought me a latte...
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
Awesome!! Glad you love it like I do.

I was in Chicago at the end of last summer and picked up a whole pile of it, but I was pretty aghast at how much their prices have gone up since I last had to buy it myself - I know coffee prices around the world are shooting up a lot but I sense there was probably some "we're charging this much because we can". Thankfully, it was a Saturday which meant there were some modest discounts on all their single-origin roasts, so the few bucks saved bought me a latte...
A bag of Black Cat at my grocery store is the same as a bag of Komodo Dragon was ($14). I say was, because the lady behind the counter said the Komodo was being discontinued. The less I can do of Starbucks and help out a smaller company the better. I ended up buying what they had in stock and can only hope that they get more before I wipe my supply out.

I will also have fun telling people that Whitecat got me hooked on Black Cat.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear
A kcup is fine. 7/11...fine. African unobtanim blood diamond coffee, fine.

Instant coffee....gag.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMST View Post
A kcup is fine. 7/11...fine. African unobtanim blood diamond coffee, fine.

Instant coffee....gag.
Swallow this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.29ad17016c4f

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Old 18th June 2019
Deleted 1cebaa9
I'm italian
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Swallow this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.29ad17016c4f

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Actually, there are times when I do carve a cup of instant. It's what I grew up on, and sometimes that's just the taste I want.

For the same reason, i still eat baked beans on toast occasionally, much to the horror of my American spouse.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
Actually, there are times when I do carve a cup of instant. It's what I grew up on, and sometimes that's just the taste I want.

For the same reason, i still eat baked beans on toast occasionally, much to the horror of my American spouse.
I knew nothing of coffee in my youth, save the occasional cup of Sanka or Taster's Choice. Freeze-dried was just such a ground-breaking innovation!

Now I roast coffee professionally. Auspicious beginnings and all . . .
Old 19th June 2019
Deleted 5cc4b50
"I don't need you to tell me how good my coffee is, Jules. I'm the one that buys it, I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping, she buys sh*t. But me, I buy the gourmet expensive stuff, because when I drink it I want to taste it. But you know what's on my mind right now? It ain't my coffee . . . "

All I could think about reading this thread.

Cafe Bustello all day, every day!
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear
If you are in a good mood and with good people, who cares the quality of the coffee. There is a sceen in the movie "Jet lee is fearless" about tea that is to this same point. The sceen was very well done.

However, I have been learning to make good coffee over the past few years.

For me, I get the best results with:
1. Grind right before brewing. The more corse the grind, the better it tasts, but the more weight is used per cup for the same amount of flavor.
2. The lighter the rost, the better it tasts, but again, you have to use more for the same amount of flavor.
3. I find placing a few (3-5) whole beans on top of the grinds right where the water comes in also helps the flavor.

It all comes down to a balance of how much you want to spend per cup. The stuff in K cups is roasted heavy and turned into flakes for the most surface area. You get the flavor, but the quality is crap.

The best quality to me would be brewed from lihgtly roasted beans cut in half and use 1/8th Lbs for one cup. But not very cost effective.

I like my Coffee light and fresh, I like my tea strong and a day old.

According to Alton brown (Good eat's, food network) both are best made with the water just below boiling & 5 min of contact between the water and tea/coffee.
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Addict

Baked beans on toast (with ketchup) is a fine meal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post

Old 21st June 2019
I've recently tried some 'bad' coffee...Pedro Active...from the Polish shop. Tastes like Turkish coffee. I felt happier with my regular Lavazza Rossa although the Pedro had a kick like a mule which was amusing in itself.
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
I've recently tried some 'bad' coffee...Pedro Active...from the Polish shop. Tastes like Turkish coffee. I felt happier with my regular Lavazza Rossa although the Pedro had a kick like a mule which was amusing in itself.
Do you have an espresso machine? Lavazza does some fine coffee for espresso, not sure how it would taste filtered. American coffee snobs turn their noses up at the tried-and-true Italian brands, but they have stood the test of time and are always consistent.
Old 1st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
According to Alton brown (Good eat's, food network) both are best made with the water just below boiling & 5 min of contact between the water and tea/coffee.
That must be for standard black tea bags like Lipton. Tea gets quite a bit more complicated.

And that's if you want to keep it simple.

If you want to be masterful and do it right, each type of tea can have a variety of its own complicated brewing methods, like this:

Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
I bought some ground green coffee (i.e. unroasted) from a Polish shop. It is bad. Tastes like swamp water with a muffled top note of coffee, also had amusing caffeinated kick like a huge mule.
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
I bought some ground green coffee (i.e. unroasted) from a Polish shop. It is bad. Tastes like swamp water with a muffled top note of coffee, also had amusing caffeinated kick like a huge mule.
And yet this is the reductio ad absurdum of the Third Wave movement. So adamant about "tasting the coffee, not the roast". So, fuggit. Don't roast the coffee.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search