The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bad Coffee Will Make You A Happier Person Studio Monitors
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post

Their 'Black Cat' espresso is the one that I would step over my own parents for. But they do other non-espresso roasts that are awesome too. Some are definitely better than others, it's a taste thing, so maybe have a chat with them about it...
Man, you think GS has arguments, some of the online coffee forums . . .
I bought a bag of Black Cat and put it through my finely-tuned Faema E-91, and it was just too sour for my taste.

Ya see, mate, here in the Colonies everything seems to fall into two opposing camps. And with coffee, it's the over vs. under roasted thing. Plenty of sniping from both sides. I'm from the dark roast tradition. Actually, Starbucks originally purchased coffee from Peet's (this is around 1974 ?) and it was a gooood dark roast. Then once Howard Schultz realized he could make buckets of money selling hot milkshakes to people at 7:15 AM, the roast had to go darker in order to taste the coffee through all that milk.

Long and short? Dark roast can taste good, if you do it right.
Old 14th March 2018
Geariophile

I like blending light and dark roasted beans. Mongrel coffee.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Bad coffee... no, thanks! I'm not a big coffee snob -- I'm perfectly happy with Newman's Own French Roast or similar, but I'll pass on the Maxwell House/Eight O'Clock/Folgers, etc. Besides, I already drive 20-year-old vehicles and buy thrift store clothing (I can't see spending $40 for a single shirt, when I can often get new-with-tags shirts for $3 or $4)... so I'm at least going to enjoy some decent coffee.

Bad gear... I can generally live with -- but then, one of my strengths is being able to "just make it work", no matter what... the more you understand your gear's internal workings and its limitations, the more you can do with it.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
I'd give it another go and try different beans/roasts/blends... as I mentioned above, it's my all-time favourite but I can only drink it when I'm in the US or when my sister can mule me some packs over to this part of the world when she visits occasionally.

Their 'Black Cat' espresso is the one that I would step over my own parents for. But they do other non-espresso roasts that are awesome too. Some are definitely better than others, it's a taste thing, so maybe have a chat with them about it...
If I knew what they were brewing the first time I went to their first Chicago location many years ago, I would drink that every day of the year. It was really amazing. I might try one more bag of theirs before I look for another brand.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
The most expensive coffee: Kopi Luwak - Wikipedia
After I read this, I tried getting the cat to eat coffee beans, but it seems thoroughly uninterested. Indeed, it's thoroughly uninterested about most things.
Old 14th March 2018
ccg
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
If I knew what they were brewing the first time I went to their first Chicago location many years ago, I would drink that every day of the year. It was really amazing. I might try one more bag of theirs before I look for another brand.
They only make so many varieties. It may just not be your thing. Some people think it's a bit sour, which I can understand. Like others have said...try Black Cat if you haven't. Honey Badger is also very good if you can get it.
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Maniac

I am an espresso lover and coffee enthusiast of 20 plus years.

Coffee Review does a great job ranking coffees and you will love anything 89 or over.

JBC Coffee Roasters and Klatch Coffee are my go-to roasters.

If you have a good grinder, check them out.
Old 14th June 2018
Quote:
Bad gear... I can generally live with -- but then, one of my strengths is being able to "just make it work", no matter what... the more you understand your gear's internal workings and its limitations, the more you can do with it.
Agreed but there's no way I can get a good start to the day without a good coffee.
I've thrown up before on bad coffee.Not a good experience.
Old 15th June 2018
I'm not sure which is worse. Bad coffee or coffee that's been sitting on the burner for several hours. In either case, I won't drink either.
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear
I have been getting better at making coffee over the last few years.
Grinding the beans right before you make it key.
You get less of the flavor but a better quality flavor the less you grind it.
Adding just a few hole beans in with the ground stuff improves the quality.
I prefer a light roast but a strong taste, that takes a lot of beans.

Because of how I like it, I tend to buy breakfast blend from the local grocery in bulk. I think other take that path because that's the one bin that gets used up first.
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
I prefer a light roast but a strong taste,
Then maybe you should try to get your beans green and roast them yourself.
Did this decades ago, makes kind of a mess, but you get to know the "real" caramel flavour of coffee.
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Intelligensia
These guys know their coffee. I've had ten or so fantastic varieties from them from all over the world.

Yirgacheffe from Ethiopia is probably my all time favorite.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search