The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bad Coffee Will Make You A Happier Person Signal Splitters (HW)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
Neither would I. Besides, most of us can't afford it.
It should be expensive.
If I was collecting those beans, I wouldn’t be doing it cheaply.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

You know, I love coffee. I really really love coffee. I love it black. I love it in a cappuccino. I love espresso. I love the nuance, the darkness, the bitterness. There's over 1000 distinct flavors in a high-quality grind.

That said, I'm pretty happy with coffee that a lot of people would dismiss out of hand. There is bad coffee, but I try not to be snobbish about it, and if it's at least somewhat pleasant in flavor, it's good by me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My neighbor, who is in the Peace Core in Nicaragua was home for the holidays and brought us a gift: Two lbs of Nicaraguan Coffee. A wonderful gift, since she knows we love coffee; good coffee also. A different flavor and a nice change from the Starbucks and Peet's we usually drink.
Old 2 weeks ago
GS Community Manager

My favourite coffee in the world is from Intelligentsia (Chicago originally, they may have other US locations now but they are still a comparatively small outfit).

My second favourite is from Union Coffee here in Blighty.

I'm currently on a monthly subscription (birthday gift from last year!) to an outfit called Has Bean too which sends me something every month of their choice, and it's been really good so far.

Neither are "cheap" as far as coffee goes, but neither are "expensive" either since I just buy whole bean.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
Suspect this philosophy is mostly aimed at the hobbyists/weekend warriors among us but I’d be interested to hear the pros weigh in as well.

Basically, replace “coffee” with “gear” - what do you think?

Is this just overthinking the "ignorance is bliss" mantra?
I'm a LOT more inclined to use cheap (but maybe not 'bad') gear than I am to use bad coffee. In fact, almost all of my gear is in the affordable-to-cheap range -- as are most of my musical instruments.

That said, the coffee I buy (Bay Blend from Trader Joes chain, whole beans) is, compared to Maxwell House at my local Ralph's (Kroger chain) a differential of about 54 cents per ounce (weight) as opposed to 52 cents an ounce for 'classic' Maxwell House ground, canned coffee.

With regard to the 'time and trouble' of using whole bean coffee, let me just say that, I can grind the beans, load the filter and turn on my coffeemaker in approximately one minute. I suppose that, if I used preground beans, I could shave a half minute or so off -- but I consider that half minute a very small price to pay for good coffee.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I tend to prefer a good gardening metaphor to beverage metaphor

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Starbucks must be full of happy happy people then.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I think access to most any coffee will make you a happier person. Until I have my first cup, I'm pretty much brain-dead in the morning.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search