The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bad Coffee Will Make You A Happier Person Studio Monitors
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
I don’t care how much they wash the beans, or how good it tastes, I’d never drink that poop coffee.

I took all the money I would have spent on coffee and put it into my rig.. works for me.
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
I don’t care how much they wash the beans, or how good it tastes, I’d never drink that poop coffee.
Neither would I. Besides, most of us can't afford it.
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
Neither would I. Besides, most of us can't afford it.
It should be expensive.
If I was collecting those beans, I wouldn’t be doing it cheaply.
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Sorry, but no thanks. I'll just enjoy my 8'clock coffee in the Kuerig
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Head

You know, I love coffee. I really really love coffee. I love it black. I love it in a cappuccino. I love espresso. I love the nuance, the darkness, the bitterness. There's over 1000 distinct flavors in a high-quality grind.

That said, I'm pretty happy with coffee that a lot of people would dismiss out of hand. There is bad coffee, but I try not to be snobbish about it, and if it's at least somewhat pleasant in flavor, it's good by me.
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

My neighbor, who is in the Peace Core in Nicaragua was home for the holidays and brought us a gift: Two lbs of Nicaraguan Coffee. A wonderful gift, since she knows we love coffee; good coffee also. A different flavor and a nice change from the Starbucks and Peet's we usually drink.
Old 2nd February 2018
GS Community Manager

My favourite coffee in the world is from Intelligentsia (Chicago originally, they may have other US locations now but they are still a comparatively small outfit).

My second favourite is from Union Coffee here in Blighty.

I'm currently on a monthly subscription (birthday gift from last year!) to an outfit called Has Bean too which sends me something every month of their choice, and it's been really good so far.

Neither are "cheap" as far as coffee goes, but neither are "expensive" either since I just buy whole bean.
Old 11th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
Suspect this philosophy is mostly aimed at the hobbyists/weekend warriors among us but I’d be interested to hear the pros weigh in as well.

Basically, replace “coffee” with “gear” - what do you think?

Is this just overthinking the "ignorance is bliss" mantra?
I'm a LOT more inclined to use cheap (but maybe not 'bad') gear than I am to use bad coffee. In fact, almost all of my gear is in the affordable-to-cheap range -- as are most of my musical instruments.

That said, the coffee I buy (Bay Blend from Trader Joes chain, whole beans) is, compared to Maxwell House at my local Ralph's (Kroger chain) a differential of about 54 cents per ounce (weight) as opposed to 52 cents an ounce for 'classic' Maxwell House ground, canned coffee.

With regard to the 'time and trouble' of using whole bean coffee, let me just say that, I can grind the beans, load the filter and turn on my coffeemaker in approximately one minute. I suppose that, if I used preground beans, I could shave a half minute or so off -- but I consider that half minute a very small price to pay for good coffee.
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear

I tend to prefer a good gardening metaphor to beverage metaphor

Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Old 12th February 2018
Gear Head

Starbucks must be full of happy happy people then.
Old 14th February 2018
Deleted User
I think access to most any coffee will make you a happier person. Until I have my first cup, I'm pretty much brain-dead in the morning.
Old 13th March 2018
One thing about good coffee is that it MUST be fresh! The only way to really tell is by first grinding your own coffee beans. The bean must be nice an shiny with the coffee oils. Exposure to air will make both the bean and the coffee become stale (bad coffee). Stale beans become very hard and dull.

I'm only buying whole bean coffee from Starbucks, the freshest in town. From time to time I order Kona directly from a grower in Hawaii. The Kona beans are so fresh that they're also covered in oils.

Good coffee is pricey, four bags of Starbucks cost me about $54.00 USD and doesn't last very long.

If I didn't spend so much on a great cup-a-joe, I'd have a lot more gear.
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
One thing about good coffee is that it MUST be fresh! The only way to really tell is by first grinding your own coffee beans. The bean must be nice an shiny with the coffee oils. Exposure to air will make both the bean and the coffee become stale (bad coffee). Stale beans become very hard and dull.

I'm only buying whole bean coffee from Starbucks, the freshest in town. From time to time I order Kona directly from a grower in Hawaii. The Kona beans are so fresh that they're also covered in oils.

Good coffee is pricey, four bags of Starbucks cost me about $54.00 USD and doesn't last very long.

If I didn't spend so much on a great cup-a-joe, I'd have a lot more gear.
If you ever get a Trader Joe's store in your area, I'd recommend checking out their selection of coffees. I like Ultra Dark Roast Bay Blend. Drinking some now! But see the last paragraph below for a contrary viewpoint.

The 24 oz size is currently $12.99 (in So. Calif, anyhow), whole bean (but they do have grinders there for those who don't grind fresh [but, for gosh sake, a classic Krups grinder is around $20, should last almost forever (I'm on my second in 30 years)]).

The coffee is available elsewhere -- but it's obscenely more expensive, even at Amazon ($26.92 for 12 oz but less than a dollar more for 24 oz: $27.75; go figure). Amazon.com : Trader Joe's Bay Blend Ultra Dark Roast Rich & Full Flavor 100% Arabica Whole Bean Coffee 12 Oz. : Coffee Substitutes : Grocery & Gourmet Food

You might also check out other TJ's coffees -- the Thrillist (yeah, I know) actually ranked Bay Blend lowest of their coffees: Best Trader Joe's Coffee Tasted And Ranked By Toby's Estate Experts - Thrillist
Old 13th March 2018
GS Community Manager

I find Starbucks to be over-roasted for my taste... but when I'm out and about running around I'll usually choose them over some of their competitors because at least their baristas are trained properly.

Currently on a subscription with this company here: Has Bean Coffee — Has Bean Coffee - topped up with the purchase of Union Coffee Revelation blend whenever I can find it.

If I were in the US, I'd be ordering from Intelligentsia as often as possible. It might be my all-time favourite...Fresh Roasted Coffee | Intelligentsia | Illuminating Coffee
Old 13th March 2018
Geariophile

Starfcuks is wrongness. Hope you chaps enjoy saying your name like good boys when you're in there, so they can call you by said name with their 'personal touch' before they sell you their cheap, nasty gmo shlte for mucho. lol Wrongness.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Got Y'all beat for freshness . . .
I have a bakery and cafe in Montpelier and right now, as we speak, I'm roasting coffee! It's a blend of Sumatra, Colombian and Guatemalan, taken to a medium-dark roast. I'm really old-school . .. learned coffee in the Bay Area, from guys like Alfred Peet. Good, hard, high-grown beans, full roast. None of this Third Wave hot lemonade for me.
Old 13th March 2018
Douwe Egberts for me, I think it's the most common brand we drink in the Netherlands, nothing special, just good coffee.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
I'm really old-school . .. learned coffee in the Bay Area, from guys like Alfred Peet. Good, hard, high-grown beans, full roast. None of this Third Wave hot lemonade for me.
I taught a long time ago an after school music program at a Catholic middle/elementary school in Berkeley within walking distance from the original Peet's on Vine and Walnut.

I taught a fair number of kids from lots of different parts of the Bay Area, and have to say, these Berkeley kids were the most precocious, rambunctious, and generally prone to be most cynical about authoritarianism.

In any case, not they needed it, since it was an after school program, when they showed for the class, some of them would be walking in with 16oz cups of freshly brewed Peet's in hand (mind you we're talking 7th-8th graders)...it didn't make my job any easier, suffice it to say.

As a corollary to the OP, good coffee will make kids crazy...
Old 13th March 2018
I'm having a cup right now.... hot water from a kettle poored trough a non chlorine paper filter, with brown sugar.

Very tasty.
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Got Y'all beat for freshness . . .
I have a bakery and cafe in Montpelier and right now, as we speak, I'm roasting coffee! It's a blend of Sumatra, Colombian and Guatemalan, taken to a medium-dark roast. I'm really old-school . .. learned coffee in the Bay Area, from guys like Alfred Peet. Good, hard, high-grown beans, full roast. None of this Third Wave hot lemonade for me.
If I was a little more bucks up, I'd consider buying all or most of my coffee from the roaster just up the street from me. Polly's Coffee | At Polly's Coffee, we transform beans into deliciously fresh coffee. (They do ship; not super cheap, but not super expensive, either.) They have a small cafe and patio, as well.

When Starbucks first came to town years ago, they targeted Polly's with one of their famous 'squeeze plays,' putting in stores on either side of Polly's, two within a few blocks.

The folks at Polly's recognized the threat of a then-hot, heavily advertised trendy chain moving in and hired a young biz consultant not long out of school. He said, what's the difference between your product and theirs? They said the beans, we have relationships with our growers, we roast everything on site. The consultant said, let's look at the beans.

Polly's were well-formed, dark, shiny, and smelled great. Starbucks were kind of burned, kind of shriveled. They put a display up with their beans next to beans bought from Starbucks.

Instead of seeing a big dip in sales, they actually got a big boost, with Starbucks' national advertising driving a resurgence in interest in coffee. When folks were persuaded to compare, Polly's tended to win out. There are now no less than FOUR Starbucks within about a 2 mile radius -- but Polly's is still doing solid business, especially with locals.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
. . .
Really great story! Us small guys are the lifeblood of our communities.
Old 13th March 2018
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Starfcuks is wrongness. Hope you chaps enjoy saying your name like good boys when you're in there, so they can call you by said name with their 'personal touch' before they sell you their cheap, nasty gmo shlte for mucho. lol Wrongness.
This here “Dwayne” enjoys the fact that they can make a proper flat white - the other sh*t chains would refuse entirely until recently. Probably drink about six a year... mostly in airports!
Old 13th March 2018
ccg
Gear Maniac

Coffee, in a lot of ways, should be attractive to people who enjoy gear, at least IMHO.

For me, good coffee has become an absolute must. Starbucks is BAD coffee. Way below acceptable. In fact, there are grocery store options from Latin America and Italy that are considerably better. For me, it's Stumptown (Hair Bender forever, y'all), Groundwork or Intelligentsia. I can drink Peet's, but it's not the best.

I've got all the stuff. I enjoy waking up and picking between my espresso maker, French press, pour over, Greek coffee, cold brew maker, siphon and standard drip coffeemaker. I have a Bonavita electric kettle that lets me dial in the precise right temperature for pour over and press. Espresso and pour over seem to get the most use, though I go through phases where it's French press or nothing.

I will say this...there is such a thing as bad, drinkable coffee. Think about that weird cup of diner coffee that's not anything special, but also isn't burned and weird. Sure, it's a little weak, and you'd be hard pressed to detect the hints of cherry, almond, or whatever, but it's fine. Actually, I think Peet's Big Bang is as close to this as you can get at home. In fact, it's a step up. It's also the coffee I brew in a coffee maker for sessions where I know I'm going to need a dozen cups for me/engineers/musicians/girlfriends/boyfriends, etc. It's a totally drinkable, inoffensive crowd pleaser. And it's strong.
Old 13th March 2018
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
This here “Dwayne” enjoys the fact that they can make a proper flat white - the other sh*t chains would refuse entirely until recently. Probably drink about six a year... mostly in airports!
Dwayne *makes Beavis noise*
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Sadly, I almost always buy a bag of Starbucks at the grocery. They have a couple o.k. flavors, but I would love to find something better to drink. The place I shop have expanded their selection, but it is hard to know what is any good. I just tried two flavors from a company called Intelligentsia and wasn't won over. It is more expensive and has a fresh blandness somehow. I've been to their locations on two occasions, the first time I went it might be the best coffee I ever tasted. The second time was kind of lame.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

...some of you will not only end in jail, but also in hell (to join the ceo of ********* who is hiding money in tax heavens)!
Old 14th March 2018
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
Sadly, I almost always buy a bag of Starbucks at the grocery. They have a couple o.k. flavors, but I would love to find something better to drink. The place I shop have expanded their selection, but it is hard to know what is any good. I just tried two flavors from a company called Intelligentsia and wasn't won over. It is more expensive and has a fresh blandness somehow. I've been to their locations on two occasions, the first time I went it might be the best coffee I ever tasted. The second time was kind of lame.
I'd give it another go and try different beans/roasts/blends... as I mentioned above, it's my all-time favourite but I can only drink it when I'm in the US or when my sister can mule me some packs over to this part of the world when she visits occasionally.

Their 'Black Cat' espresso is the one that I would step over my own parents for. But they do other non-espresso roasts that are awesome too. Some are definitely better than others, it's a taste thing, so maybe have a chat with them about it...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search