The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
External Hard Drive vs Cloud Storage
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

I keep 3 copies of everything, plus the original.

One is a backup to a drive connected to the computer.
One is a network volume in the studio.
One is a cloud backup.

Here in Singapore we get 1Mbit internet so speed isn't an issue.
Old 3rd January 2019
Backblaze is awesome - simple and inexpensive unlimited storage.

I do this plus an external drive, just in case, but Backblaze has been solid enough that the external drive is more a luxury than a necessity. It is best practice to have 2 different offline backups though.
Old 4th January 2019
This is what I use and it’s amazing! I also have 2 separate offline backups tho, you can never be too safe!
The unlimited data option is amazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post
Backblaze is awesome - simple and inexpensive unlimited storage.

I do this plus an external drive, just in case, but Backblaze has been solid enough that the external drive is more a luxury than a necessity. It is best practice to have 2 different offline backups though.
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
This is what I use and it’s amazing!
Which backup plan do you guys have? The Personal Backup or B2 Cloud Storage?
Old 13th February 2019
Gear Head

Backblaze personal tied to a 4TB internal WD red.

Daw projects/Samples etc are backed up daily to an internal WD Red using CCC
Then the internal cloud drive is mirrored at Backblaze.

Backblaze are simply the best, unless anyone can tell me otherwise ;-)
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz View Post
Backblaze are simply the best, unless anyone can tell me otherwise ;-)
I love them. Been a user for a few years now.

Make sure to take advantage of that one year extension before the prices go up.
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Head

Yep and will buy 2 years :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShogunOfHarlem View Post
I love them. Been a user for a few years now.

Make sure to take advantage of that one year extension before the prices go up.
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

I don't use iCloud for this I do backup important data to my website's fileserver.
I live in Singapore though so with a gigabit internet connection it is pretty good.

I also keep the data on a NAS in the studio as well.
And I do a local hard drive copy over night.

I have the original and 3 copies of everything using Time Machine, CCC and a custom script I wrote to back up to the internet.
It works pretty well for me.
Old 19th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shante View Post
Hello To All,

I'm new here and hope this is the proper place for this post...

Does anyone save a backup of their pro tools sessions in icloud vs using external drives to backup your sessions?

I'm debating getting another hard drive, or should I just buy more icloud storage.

Pros and cons please and thank you.
iCloud is an extremely safe and secure location to save anything really.
This is just what I do but others opinions may differ. i save a copy of all my pro tools sessions on my iCloud, PC, and then make an encrypted copy to store on my external HDD just in case I lose it so they cannot be stolen. now i know some encryption can be bypassed but its sure as heck better to have some level over no level right? Anyway thats just my 2 cents. i wouldnt rely on just icloud, its better safe than sorry so store in at least 2 locations
Old 21st February 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks folks for recommending backblaze - I'm going to have a go with that.. prices go up march 11th as far as I can tell.

I find this line sows a seed of worry in my mind:

"If for any reason the Backblaze datacenter has not heard from your computer in six months, the backup copy of your data will be removed from the Backblaze datacenter and your account is subject to cancellation."

say wha? even if i'm paying?

edit - also this about external drives... looks like I'll have to keep my wits about me:

"Backblaze will backup external USB and Firewire hard drives that are detached and re-attached as long as you remember to re-attach the hard drive at least once every 30 days. If the drive is detached for more than 30 days, Backblaze interprets this as data that has been permanently deleted and securely deletes the copy from the Backblaze datacenter. The 30 day countdown is only for drives that have been unplugged."

... "If you are going on vacation for a long time, you can shut down your computer with the external drive attached. Backblaze does not detect that the external drive has been unplugged and won't start the 30-day countdown. You can then leave your computer off and unplug your external drive for six months, and Backblaze will still keep all your files backed up including those on your external drive."
Old 21st February 2019
Lives for gear

so it seems i failed to spot the difference between backblaze, which is effectively an emergency service, and B2 which is their 'storage' service...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search