The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any hacks for staying awake and active after a busy day of 9-5 ?
Old 16th October 2017
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 

Any hacks for staying awake and active after a busy day of 9-5 ?

These days after getting home from work, doing homework with the kids and then having dinner I'm

Help me to stay awake enough to finish some music!
Whats your way of fighting back!?
Old 16th October 2017
  #2
Getting into a routine of exercise a few times a week will work wonders. It also helps to drink water throughout the workday to maintain good hydration.

Additionally eating a light lunch will help to avoid that after lunch energy crash. That was the worst part for me when I was working.

Oh yeah, a few cups of good coffee to get you off to a good start in the morning!

Old 16th October 2017
  #3
Gear Nut
 
Sjeff's Avatar
 

Eating healthy, move around alot and having a positive mindset!

I also have this problem from time to time and most of the time it is the lack of enthousiasm which drains my energy... My tip is to stop making music when you are still having fun, instead of working till you are tired or getting frustrated.
I realized the mind has a crazy way of doing things and will connect those moods to making music. Which will eventually lead to you not having fun/energy in making music anymore.

After a day of work take a shower, drink some tea or coffee and go make some music. Stop after 1 hour or less if that's the only time you have and leave it as is, knowing what needs to be done the next session. Go to work the next day and you'll find that the only thing you think about is making music again
Old 16th October 2017
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 

Cheers guys i find the big one is after eating! I literally drift off and wake up mid am with an empty plate by my side!
A lighter load on the plate i think will help also some self discipline in structuring my time as i get home is needed! I may not finish a song in an evening but i guess
attacking it nearly every evening is a start!
Old 19th October 2017
  #5
Taking a 30 minute walk with a friend or significant other at the end of the day is great. If walking alone take along headphones and listen to something that inspires you. Drink more water and eat less sugar!
Old 19th October 2017
  #6
Here for the gear
 

First, make the kids and making a living your priorities. Your family depends on you, and you will enjoy the rewards of your devotion until you die.

I have no kids, but I stay very busy. My answer is to do music first. I get up early, drink my coffee, and go to the studio. Sometimes I am FINISHED with my musical day by 9AM. Sometimes I wake up at 4AM with ideas, and would go to the studio, were my wife not sleeping.

My intentions never seem to work out when I am at the end of a day. What works for me is to get up, hit it hard, and then move on to the other stuff.

Matt B
Old 22nd October 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Class Audio View Post
Taking a 30 minute walk with a friend or significant other at the end of the day is great. If walking alone take along headphones and listen to something that inspires you. Drink more water and eat less sugar!
Yes water is something I'm working on! as for sugar :face palm:
Old 22nd October 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
First, make the kids and making a living your priorities. Your family depends on you, and you will enjoy the rewards of your devotion until you die.

I have no kids, but I stay very busy. My answer is to do music first. I get up early, drink my coffee, and go to the studio. Sometimes I am FINISHED with my musical day by 9AM. Sometimes I wake up at 4AM with ideas, and would go to the studio, were my wife not sleeping.

My intentions never seem to work out when I am at the end of a day. What works for me is to get up, hit it hard, and then move on to the other stuff.

Matt B
Family first indeed! I wish i was an early bird such as yourself! Things are getting better though! i've mentally pushed myself and have seen an improvement!
Old 22nd October 2017
  #9
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Covfefe? The kind with cavffefein?
Old 22nd October 2017
  #10
Just to touch on the sugar thing again, have a look at this report on the new Belgium study on sugar. Sugar fuels cancer tumor growth, new study suggests - Business Insider
Old 22nd October 2017
  #11
Here for the gear
 
Ye_Black_Knight's Avatar
 

Lo, for a steady diet of Speed Metal in thine ears shall invigorate ye soul!

Play'eth these with volume most extreme:
Slayer
Metallica (first three albums)
Kreator
Ye Haunted

Verily, this Knight advise'th caution, dear Audio Child. For under Metal's unholy influence thee shall discover that thine cravings for fornication, and desire to crush thine enemies increase'th a thousand fold! These canal lusts art not easily satiated and might become'th burdensome.

This post now concludeth!
Old 25th October 2017
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 

Haha guys keep em rolling!

Working class, Sugar is a craving disease dude!
Old 29th October 2017
  #13
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

I would suggest alternating days - maybe working late on your music on Monday, Wed and Fri nights and then going to bed early and getting a good night sleep on Tues and Wed nights (or some pattern like that). You cannot do your best (at music or anything) when you're walking around sleep deprived all the time.

Another approach - take a power nap after dinner for an hour or 90 min's. But use an alarm to wake yourself. I have late meeting with my off-shore development team that start at 10pm. Often I take a nap around 8:30pm or so. Its very difficult to get up but after a few min's and a cup of coffee I'm good to go and I can go straight through to 1 or 2am -- or longer.
Old 1st November 2017
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
I would suggest alternating days - maybe working late on your music on Monday, Wed and Fri nights and then going to bed early and getting a good night sleep on Tues and Wed nights (or some pattern like that). You cannot do your best (at music or anything) when you're walking around sleep deprived all the time.

Another approach - take a power nap after dinner for an hour or 90 min's. But use an alarm to wake yourself. I have late meeting with my off-shore development team that start at 10pm. Often I take a nap around 8:30pm or so. Its very difficult to get up but after a few min's and a cup of coffee I'm good to go and I can go straight through to 1 or 2am -- or longer.
Alternating days sounds like it would work best without compromise!

Thanks
Old 1st November 2017
  #15
Gear Addict
 
Nick Stedman's Avatar
Cocaine is a helluva drug

But in all seriousness my best work is done after a coffee or two. Also One thing I didn't see mentioned is the temperature. Cold air helps you fall asleep. Hot air can keep you stimulated. One of the reasons why my shower in the morning is pretty hot and if I shower at nite it's a little cooler to help sleep. I keep a small quiet space heater in my mixing space to stay warm.

So good diet, light excercise and stretches, 20-30 minute nap mid day, coffee, cut down the sugar intake to prevent crashes, drink a lot of water that's not too cold, and either dress warm or keep the temperature up a little. Some people don't like Red Bull but the sugar free ones are ok.

I get the little Starbucks espresso shots from QT, pour it in a cup and top it with a large coffee.
Old 1st November 2017
  #16
Gear Nut
 

All good feedback so far...

- Limit caffeine
- Kill sugar/bad carbs, replace with protein and healthy fats
- Exercise fixes tons of issues. Even two minutes of air squats or any other bodyweight exercise will wake you up
- Get the best sleep you can. Start a routine to wind down before bedtime, make sure your bedroom is as dark as possible, and make sure it's a comfortable temperature.
Old 1st November 2017
  #17
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ye_Black_Knight View Post
Lo, for a steady diet of Speed Metal in thine ears shall invigorate ye soul!

Play'eth these with volume most extreme:
Slayer
Metallica (first three albums)
Kreator
Ye Haunted

Verily, this Knight advise'th caution, dear Audio Child. For under Metal's unholy influence thee shall discover that thine cravings for fornication, and desire to crush thine enemies increase'th a thousand fold! These canal lusts art not easily satiated and might become'th burdensome.

This post now concludeth!
I see you've re-surfaced Ye_Black_Knight...as loquacious as ever I see.

Old 1st November 2017
  #18
Lives for gear
It's really a shame cocaine is illegal. I'm being serious. It's like 1-in-10,000 people that develop a problem. It's barely addictive and it works. It clears your sinuses and improves musical ability by enhancing focus. As long as you don't take so much as to get physical side effects like jitters and lip smacking or psychological effects like panic or anxiety. All of the bad things that can happen with too much coffee can happen with too much cocaine. The only difference is potency per unit volume. And cocaine is much less addictive. There is no withdrawal except being sleepy. The media and law enforcement are full of it. You have to be really stupid or have a psychological disorder to overdose as well as unlimited funds. It would take about $300 worth in an hour to overdose an adult to death. I mean even half that in an hour would suck bad, not fun at all, but it takes way more than is inferred by the media to overdose. And again, it's literally not addictive, at all, unless you are one in a whole lot of people predisposed to it. Just like alcohol.
Old 1st November 2017
  #19
Gear Addict
 
Nick Stedman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
It's really a shame cocaine is illegal. I'm being serious. It's like 1-in-10,000 people that develop a problem. It's barely addictive and it works. It clears your sinuses and improves musical ability by enhancing focus. As long as you don't take so much as to get physical side effects like jitters and lip smacking or psychological effects like panic or anxiety. All of the bad things that can happen with too much coffee can happen with too much cocaine. The only difference is potency per unit volume. And cocaine is much less addictive. There is no withdrawal except being sleepy. The media and law enforcement are full of it. You have to be really stupid or have a psychological disorder to overdose as well as unlimited funds. It would take about $300 worth in an hour to overdose an adult to death. I mean even half that in an hour would suck bad, not fun at all, but it takes way more than is inferred by the media to overdose. And again, it's literally not addictive, at all, unless you are one in a whole lot of people predisposed to it. Just like alcohol.
Adderall is legal? its speed.

and maybe for people who snort it. I knew a guitarist that started shooting it, and he was a tweaking mess who was a paranoid wreck and begged, barrowed, and stole almost every dollar he managed to get for it. Was a hard guy to work with.
Old 1st November 2017
  #20
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawbak View Post
Adderall is legal? its speed.

and maybe for people who snort it. I knew a guitarist that started shooting it, and he was a tweaking mess who was a paranoid wreck and begged, barrowed, and stole almost every dollar he managed to get for it. Was a hard guy to work with.
Anybody who injects anything with a syringe for recreation has problems to begin with. A person that enjoys and seeks the maximum effects/impairment of any drug every single time they take it has severe psychological problems. Again, exactly like alcohol. The people at bars and venues that are so smashed they wobble and slur are usually the people to avoid.
Old 1st November 2017
  #21
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
It's like 1-in-10,000 people that develop a problem. It's barely addictive and it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
Anybody who injects anything with a syringe for recreation has problems to begin with. A person that enjoys and seeks the maximum effects/impairment of any drug every single time they take it has severe psychological problems.
...

You need a speedball about now.
Old 2nd November 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
...

You need a speedball about now.
I don't need anything but to stop posting on here and finish setting up and testing all these compressors I bought last week haha
Old 2nd November 2017
  #23
Gear Nut
 
Sjeff's Avatar
 

Wow, that's the worst drug advice I've ever seen anyone give to other people..

**** is literally made with kerosene, sodium carbonate, sulfuric acid, acetone and other chemical junk.

Guess you are 1 of those 10000 people since you're convincing yourself that there are no negative side effects to the use of cocaine.. Keep snorting bro!
Old 2nd November 2017
  #24
Gear Addict
 

A pack of Red Bull ought to do the trick! Don't drink 6 of them though, cause then you'll get high of coffene and end up running around in the streets singing. Also, a bath will refresh you.
Old 2nd November 2017
  #25
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ye_Black_Knight View Post
Lo, for a steady diet of Speed Metal in thine ears shall invigorate ye soul!

Play'eth these with volume most extreme:
Slayer
Metallica (first three albums)
Kreator
Ye Haunted

Verily, this Knight advise'th caution, dear Audio Child. For under Metal's unholy influence thee shall discover that thine cravings for fornication, and desire to crush thine enemies increase'th a thousand fold! These canal lusts art not easily satiated and might become'th burdensome.

This post now concludeth!
Lo, shut thine lips of hells fury, or I shalt spanketh thee with a branch which growest from thy land of Sodom and Gomorrah! Giveth sound advice, or meet me and the bards by the sword!
Old 2nd November 2017
  #26
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
These days after getting home from work, doing homework with the kids and then having dinner I'm

Help me to stay awake enough to finish some music!
Whats your way of fighting back!?
Jack Herer-it's all you need to stay awake and be productive at anything. Actually, any sativa will do, but Jack's is the standard.

Last edited by TRSC; 2nd November 2017 at 04:50 PM..
Old 2nd November 2017
  #27
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerGunnar View Post
A pack of Red Bull ought to do the trick! Don't drink 6 of them though, cause then you'll get high of coffene and end up running around in the streets singing. Also, a bath will refresh you.
6 Red bulls? If so, I think you can skip the bath salts...
Old 3rd November 2017
  #28
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
It's really a shame cocaine is illegal. I'm being serious. It's like 1-in-10,000 people that develop a problem. It's barely addictive and it works. It clears your sinuses and improves musical ability by enhancing focus. As long as you don't take so much as to get physical side effects like jitters and lip smacking or psychological effects like panic or anxiety. All of the bad things that can happen with too much coffee can happen with too much cocaine. The only difference is potency per unit volume. And cocaine is much less addictive. There is no withdrawal except being sleepy. The media and law enforcement are full of it. You have to be really stupid or have a psychological disorder to overdose as well as unlimited funds. It would take about $300 worth in an hour to overdose an adult to death. I mean even half that in an hour would suck bad, not fun at all, but it takes way more than is inferred by the media to overdose. And again, it's literally not addictive, at all, unless you are one in a whole lot of people predisposed to it. Just like alcohol.
And suddenly every single one of your nonsensical posts makes sense.

Alistair
Old 3rd November 2017
  #29
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
 

I just watch the news. It leaves me terrified and unable to sleep for days.
Old 3rd November 2017
  #30
Lives for gear
 
spectacular g's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Class Audio View Post
Taking a 30 minute walk with a friend or significant other at the end of the day is great. If walking alone take along headphones and listen to something that inspires you. Drink more water and eat less sugar!
Add sunshine, laughter and "possibly" Braggs apple cider vinegar twice a day.

G
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump