The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cleaning the Microwave Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 24th August 2017
Cleaning the Microwave

Today I was cooking some chilli in the microwave and the plastic cover popped off causing the chilli to explode in all directions.

The microwave was already dirty so I didn't really mind having to clean it but I hate doing it mind you. It's such a pain in the arse to clean the sides and specially the roof section. It always seems like I'm constantly wiping and the food debris remains and is very stubborn to clean. I used the boil a cup of water technique as well as a degreaser, yet it still did not get everything clean.

Soooo...........I discovered a great way to clean it, although is not a conventional method.

I unplugged it from the wall and put the microwave on the floor with the door facing towards the kitchen ceiling. I had great access to all the walls of the microwave. I was able to move all round it to be able to put maximum elbow grease into the wiping/scrubbing motion. Now the microwave is super clean all over!
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Learn how to use the microwave. I never have to clean mine.
Use Saran Wrap for lids and leave a small opening at one side.
Couldn't help it.
Old 25th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
Never put plastic in the microwave!
If the product comes in plastic, remove it and put it in a covered glass or microwavable ceramic container.
The heat drives the chemicals into the food.

About cleaning, that's a good tip to get a good arm angle to get it done.
Interesting! I never considered the concept of chemicals getting into the food from the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Learn how to use the microwave. I never have to clean mine.
Use Saran Wrap for lids and leave a small opening at one side.
Couldn't help it.
That's a great idea about using the Saran wrap as a way to avert unnecessary cleaning.

I was following the manufacturer's directions to cook the chilli though. The cover has vented holes to let the heat out but this is the first time I experienced a blowout.

Here's a pic of the container.

Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post

Here's a pic of the container.

Did you burn your fingers. I see a lawsuit here.
Old 26th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
From Harvard Health Publications • Harvard Medical School

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ngerous-or-not

Microwaving food in plastic: Dangerous or not?

BPA and phthalates are believed to be "endocrine disrupters." These are substances that mimic human hormones, and not for the good.

When food is wrapped in plastic or placed in a plastic container and microwaved, BPA and phthalates may leak into the food. Any migration is likely to be greater with fatty foods such as meats and cheeses than with other foods.

The bottom line

Here are some things to keep in mind when using the microwave:

If you're concerned about plastic wraps or containers in the microwave, transfer food to glass or ceramic containers labeled for use in microwave ovens.

Don't let plastic wrap touch food during microwaving because it may melt. Wax paper, kitchen parchment paper, white paper towels, or a domed container that fits over a plate or bowl are better alternatives.

Most takeout containers, water bottles, and plastic tubs or jars made to hold margarine, yogurt, whipped topping, and foods such as cream cheese, mayonnaise, and mustard are not microwave-safe.

Microwavable takeout dinner trays are formulated for one-time use only and will say so on the package.

Old, scratched, or cracked containers, or those that have been microwaved many times, may leach out more plasticizers.

Don't microwave plastic storage bags or plastic bags from the grocery store.

Before microwaving food, be sure to vent the container: leave the lid ajar, or lift the edge of the cover.

Lives for gear
I am still a bit paranoid about microwaves in general. At this point I think we should move to newer technology.

I have not used a microwave in 2 years and to be honest, I have not missed it. I hated cleaning it. How does it even get so dirty? LOL
Old 3rd September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I am still a bit paranoid about microwaves in general. At this point I think we should move to newer technology.

I have not used a microwave in 2 years and to be honest, I have not missed it. I hated cleaning it. How does it even get so dirty? LOL
They are good for defrosting things and cooking frozen foods. The downside is that when warming up some things like bread, it causes a lot of condensation and the food becomes soggy.
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
They are good for defrosting things and cooking frozen foods. The downside is that when warming up some things like bread, it causes a lot of condensation and the food becomes soggy.
Do you warm up bread? I understand the defrosting, but when you do not have a microwave, you sort of adjust and defrost in the fridge a day or 2 before.

The only thing I miss about it is when I come home late and have something in the fridge I want/need to eat. That actually does suck.

edit: I should get a microwave lol
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Guru

Things to remember about the microwave: It doesn't just make sure there is nothing useful for your body left in the food you put in it (in case there was something to start) it also does actually leak radiation, so when you're stood next to it, looking in to watch your M&S spaghetti bubble away, it actually fries you too.

Best place for a microwave is the dump. Not like we're not getting enough radiation from everywhere else that's harder to avoid, is it?

Sorry, likely no one wants to hear this here, but I couldn't stop myself.....
Old 9th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Things to remember about the microwave: It doesn't just make sure there is nothing useful for your body left in the food you put in it (in case there was something to start) it also does actually leak radiation, so when you're stood next to it, looking in to watch your M&S spaghetti bubble away, it actually fries you too.

Best place for a microwave is the dump. Not like we're not getting enough radiation from everywhere else that's harder to avoid, is it?

They are very dangerous for people who have pace makers.
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
They are very dangerous for people who have pace makers.
They are dangerous for everyone.

Have a gander....

https://www.safespaceprotection.com/...-oven-dangers/
Old 9th September 2017
Quote:

Have a gander....

Freaky stuff! Can cause cataracts!
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Freaky stuff! Can cause cataracts!
Rattles your cells to sh*t, and eyes are fragile...lol
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:

If I ate that, I would need a tutorial on cleaning the toilet...
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Have a gander....

Pseudoscientific nonsense. Author doesnt even know the difference between ionising and non-ionising radiation: basic fail, so treat the whole piece as junk ...
Old 10th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
If I ate that, I would need a tutorial on cleaning the toilet...
Yeah, spicy foods can burn on the way out!
Old 10th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
Pseudoscientific nonsense. Author doesnt even know the difference between ionising and non-ionising radiation: basic fail, so treat the whole piece as junk ...
Yup, makes microwaves healthy too, I expect.
Old 11th September 2017
If microwave ovens were extremely hazardous, I don't think they would be on the shelf. Definitely dangerous for heart patients with pace makers though and I'm sure the warnings are in the owners manual.

Nevertheless, I'll stop looking inside when stuff is cooking just in case of cataracts compromise.
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Today I was cooking some chilli in the microwave and the plastic cover popped off causing the chilli to explode in all directions.

The microwave was already dirty so I didn't really mind having to clean it but I hate doing it mind you. It's such a pain in the arse to clean the sides and specially the roof section. It always seems like I'm constantly wiping and the food debris remains and is very stubborn to clean. I used the boil a cup of water technique as well as a degreaser, yet it still did not get everything clean.

Soooo...........I discovered a great way to clean it, although is not a conventional method.

I unplugged it from the wall and put the microwave on the floor with the door facing towards the kitchen ceiling. I had great access to all the walls of the microwave. I was able to move all round it to be able to put maximum elbow grease into the wiping/scrubbing motion. Now the microwave is super clean all over!
Much easier method.

Old 11th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Much easier method.
The video reminded me of the famous Wacky Packages!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacky_Packages

I still have my old collection.
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear
Maybe I should not get a microwave lol.I remember when I was young. in the early 90s I am sure half of our dinners of the week touched the microwave. No fault of my own. The scary thing for me is. That Campbells soup can made me hungry. That is the worse thing I take from this.
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear
did they smoke the beans?
Old 17th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
did they smoke the beans?
No, the beans didn't burn they just made a mess!
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear

Tonight I will be microwavyradiating some chilli and beans that I made and froze a coupla weeks back. The horror!
Old 17th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
Tonight I will be microwavyradiating some chilli and beans that I made and froze a coupla weeks back. The horror!
Bon Appetit then, innit.
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear

I might wake up tomorrow with some extra toes or something but I'm prepared to risk it. I really like chilli
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
No, the beans didn't burn they just made a mess!
Ohhhh farting in church, my favorite!
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Dishrag or paper towels... Get em wet end wring out most of the h20

Put in the science oven and run on high for two minutes or more... Pull them out with tongs and then a quick spritz with Lysol or whatever and rub down... The evaporating water power steams the inside

Like what famous actresses get done nowadays on their undercarriages
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

When I was a teenager my parents didn't want to cook for me and just got me microwave food. It brings back bad memories, especially that horrible tasting popcorn. I haven't heated or cooked with a microwave in over twenty five years. Cooking food is a lot of fun anyway.
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
When I was a teenager my parents didn't want to cook for me and just got me microwave food. It brings back bad memories, especially that horrible tasting popcorn. I haven't heated or cooked with a microwave in over twenty five years. Cooking food is a lot of fun anyway.
I grew up in the 70's... oh yeah....

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search