The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I found a novel crack measures in the PC gaming industry. DAW Software
Old 27th July 2017
Gear Head

Lightbulb I found a novel crack measures in the PC gaming industry.

Hi, If you are a developer, this story will be interesting.
In recent years, many VSTs and sample libraries have been cracked and used illegally.
I found an interesting idea as a countermeasure against those cracks.

I heard an interesting story the other day.
Pirating 'The Talos Principle' Will Trap You in an Elevator - NeoGAF

This is a PC Game "The Talos Principle" by Devolver Digital, Croteam.
This game has breakthrough crack measures using "intentional bug".
There is a fatal bug in this game. But it only happens with cracked ones. The bug doesn't occur in the genuine version.
This bug was intentionally introduced by the manufacturer as a crack trap!

The excellent point of this trap is that "illegal users are not aware that bugs are crack countermeasures."
Naturally they will look for ways to avoid bugs.
So, when illegal users asked questions about this bug in the forum, they will prove themselves as an illegal user.

I think this approach is very crafty and clever.
And I think that this method should be done also in music production software world.
It will be more effective than the gaming world. because this trap may destroy human reliability.

Suppose illegal users are mingled in this forum.
If they reported problems about the "intentional bug (aka crack trap)" in the forum,
like "This knob does not work!" "I cant bypass reverb!" "GUI is broken. This is the screenshot!",
they will be suspected as illegal users and condemned by everyone.:
In addition, if he was a celebrity in the forum, he loses his credibility he has cultivated up to now.

There is no immediate effect on this, but I think that this is a promising method.
Someone try it!
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear
They was a VST plugin that had Easter eggs if you tried to crack it.
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

This is a very old concept. Back in the Commodore 64 days, the game "Silent Running" had the same concept. If you copied the game illegally, then the character in the copied version, his pants would come off and go on top of his head. When people called the company to complain about this, they knew it was someone who had illegally copied the game.

Also, NeoGAF is a real garbage site so here's an archive of the article you posted because they don't deserve the clicks.

https://archive.fo/QMFAA
Old 24th August 2017
Gear Guru

elsewhere in the forum, there was a thread with a guy complaining that his Click II plug-in in Pro Tools was not working - and where could he find something else to use.

Most people suggested that he simply re-install Pro Tools.

One poster claimed that a missing click plug-in was just such a mark of a cracked copy of PT. I don't know if that's a fact, but it is interesting to note that the OP has not been back in the thread since that post.
Old 8th October 2017
Gear Addict

Personally, I think this is a very risky strategy for manufacturers to use. I would advise any of them against it. You create an association between your product and bugs. That can never be a good thing.

Legal users see the guy in the forum complaining and in their mind the product is now linked to a bug. So what is the manufacturer going to do? He can reassure his users by telling them: no, it's not a real bug. But that defeats the whole purpose of the measure because soon it becomes common knowledge. The illegal user will know it just as well.

In my opinion a much better strategy is to make your piracy countermeasures very clear: as soon as you hit them you know why: because you used the software without paying for it.

Of course it doesn't make you come off as witty and clever as the other stuff. But you probably had better use your cleverness to improve your product instead of wasting it on pirates.
Old 25th December 2017
Gear Addict

or price your software fairly and people will appreciate it and buy it instead of copying it.

Ie Pro Tools costs hundreds of dollars, every year

Reaper is $60 for at least 2 full versions,

and they don't restrict the 'free' version which is actually the full version with a pop up reminder asking if you've finished evaluating it.
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

One of the best implementations of this technique is in a game called 'game dev tycoon'. If you're using a cracked version, it will let you play fine for awhile...then no matter what, your games will start getting pirated in the game and you will go bankrupt...every time. Genius and hammers the point home.
Old 8th March 2018
Gear Addict

Although the pants-on-the-head "bug" is hilarious, I'd in general agree with you. If the software is able to detect that it's been cracked, I think it would be best practice for it to simply not run at all, beyond displaying a message indicating that it appears that the user is running an illegal copy, and if that is not the case, to contact the manufacturer for support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollo View Post
Personally, I think this is a very risky strategy for manufacturers to use. I would advise any of them against it. You create an association between your product and bugs. That can never be a good thing.

Legal users see the guy in the forum complaining and in their mind the product is now linked to a bug. So what is the manufacturer going to do? He can reassure his users by telling them: no, it's not a real bug. But that defeats the whole purpose of the measure because soon it becomes common knowledge. The illegal user will know it just as well.

In my opinion a much better strategy is to make your piracy countermeasures very clear: as soon as you hit them you know why: because you used the software without paying for it.

Of course it doesn't make you come off as witty and clever as the other stuff. But you probably had better use your cleverness to improve your product instead of wasting it on pirates.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search