The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Know of Reasonable Internet Service?
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

Know of Reasonable Internet Service?

I might go offline, and in preparation I just deleted every email I ever sent and received.

I'm on an AT&T plan that's $40 for the 756Kbps connection alone, total bill is $100 monthly. Not only that but I have to pick up the phone and put it back down to get any internet at all, probably because of the copper wire connection.

Now AT&T has a new plan for me, much much lower cost and higher speed internet, but it's got 25 pages of contract filled with legal mumbo jumbo and last I checked, people were MAD at what happens when the year is up, it gets much more expensive.

I don't download movies anyway and the 756Kbps has never been that bad. I use 4K Video Downloader in Smart Mode and get high quality videos, but certainly not in real time.

But if there's a cell service someone knows of, or better common Internet service, I'm all ears. Really disappointed in AT&T!
Old 19th August 2019
I'm using Comcast.

I was using Verizon before that but dropped them like a heavy sack of potatoes.
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I'm using Comcast.

I was using Verizon before that but dropped them like a heavy sack of potatoes.
Thanks for that ; the problem mentioned above was only solved weeks ago, and the bill crept up to $107. The solution is a 1-year contract with AT&T where there's a modem in the living room and a standard phone plugs into it. The first bill was actually $126 and the second bill $72. Then it said credit for like $36 and they sent a prepaid card with that amount on it.

But it should be steady $72 for the next 10 months and go up $10 after that. The internet speed is 5 Mbit which for my needs is perfectly good. Previously the 750kbps had me using every download manager and 4K video downloader and resumable FTP etc. Not that I missed it that much, I was used to it. The phone quality is perfect, I'm very impressed.

So next on the list is an uninterruptible power supply for when the power goes out, I'd like to see if there's a smaller one that powers the post-wall wart / pre-input of the router which should be 12 volt.
Old 20th August 2019
These companies can be a little shady. My bill also began creeping up but I called them out on it. I told them I was going to leave and they lowered my bill by $30.00 per month. Those savings add up.
Old 22nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Boy, those providers are ripping you off in US. Here, in Romania you can have a plan for phone+tv cable+ 1000mb internet speed on fiber optics for $15,00. And this are companies that do really well, not struggling to survive or anything.
Old 22nd August 2019
Here in the US, unfortunately you get fleeced! They give you a fixed priced contract and at the end, they jack up the prices.

Where I live, Comcast and Verizon are always using shady tactics to rob customers away from the competitor. Recently they were offering a free 43" Samsung 4K television if you switched over to them. I read the small print, it said that you could choose to have them pay for breaking the contract or opt to get the free TV.
Old 26th August 2019
Here for the gear

Here in Alabama, the situation is just about equal to everywhere else in the USA... Atrocious service and "beat you over the head and take your money" prices. I did settle on Comcast Commercial w/ 100mbps service as I have 2 servers running and they have been *moderately* dependable - - at ~$125/month including "business TV" (NOT HD) for a limited channel line-up. And yeah, the contract takes a Philadelphia lawyer to decipher. But still, compared to MANY other placed across the globe, the price is astronomical in comparison to the bandwidth and services provided.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search