The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Normal people's exact morning routine?
Old 21st May 2017
Gear Nut

Normal people's exact morning routine?

Sound a bit crazy, I know, but still.

I'm really curious about the topic. Could you share your exact effective morning routine, including shower, breakfast, exercising, making bed, etc. Please be as consistent and precise as possible.

I mean I really would like to develop the good one for myself, but still can't decide the best order. For example, shower before exercises (or running, or whatever), after, or both? Shower immediately out of the bed or spend some time browsing the Internet with a cup of something before? Doing some job before everything? And so on.
Old 22nd May 2017
Gear Addict

Normal people don't exercise or make their bed, often skip breakfast, and occasionally skip showers. So if you wish to develop a "good one" the last thing you want to do is what normal people do.

I would say any routine that you can do that fit all those things in is going to be better than what normal people do.

But this IS gearslutz and I cannot remember anyone claiming to be normal.
Old 22nd May 2017
Gear Nut

Hey, I'm quite new to the forum, did not notice the "Gear free zone - shoot the breeze!" branch, may I ask moderators to move it there?
@drycappuccinoguy
Yes, I'm more close to the "normal" type you mentioned, I agree with what you say. So let me say in other words then, is there extraordinarily organized people here who could share their wisdom about the topic? Until now it does not work for me, I find flaws in the order, or, say, if I do everything mentioned I feel too invested and tired that so I can't do other things afterwards, I need a serious break.
Old 22nd May 2017
Gear Head

There's actually an entire book on creative people's routines, but focusing mainly on their work routines. It's by Mason Curry, and it's called Daily Rituals: How Artists Work. Published in 2013. Also highly recommended is Cal Newport's book "Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World."

Cal Newport just put up a blog post about how the very prolific (and very successful!) novelist John Grisham works: he starts work at 7 am and finishes around 10am, five days a week. He mostly works during the winter months. In this 15-hour work week he manages to crank out a new novel in three to four months. His main secret is that he works in an outbuilding that has no internet or telephone. No distractions. John Grisham’s 15-Hour Workweek - Study Hacks - Cal Newport

To answer your question, I don't really think the exact order in which you do the things you mentioned really matters. Should you eat before you exercise or exercise before you eat? The answer differs from person to person. I need to eat before I exercise, otherwise I run out of steam. But the exercise guru Jack Lalane used to exercise for two hours before breakfast every day, mostly swimming. And he didn't eat much -- just two meals a day, no snacks. No coffee.

My advice would be to experiment with the order of morning routines, sticking with one routine for a week or two and then switching to another to figure out what works best for you. What works well for me may not work at all for you. There is no universal best routine. For maximum productivity, I'd recommend limiting answering email/checking Facebook, etc. to a set period of time: e.g., for 20 minutes or 30 minutes in the morning, and then if your work allows you should set aside specific times each day for internet-related activities.
Old 22nd May 2017
Lives for gear
Spiritual (creative) freedom through discipline.

I wake at 7.00am - shower - eat breakfast (the exact same breakfast everyday) and get the kids ready for school - walk the dog for 40 mins - do yoga for 40 mins - small amount of weights for 15 minutes.

Begin my day.

I don't finish work until about 9.00pm so I find exercising in the morning gives me the energy I need for my day.
Old 27th May 2017
Lives for gear

Get up around 5, have a piss, make a coffee and start work.

Defacate around 7 then shower.

Breakfast around 9.

7 days a week
Old 27th May 2017
Lives for gear

Morning routine? ummm.. nah. late morning maybe. roll out of bed. lots of coffee, verify schedule. online for an hour takin care of bank biz etc, lots of green juice. running... weights.. get to biz.. mixing / mastering / production / playing (remote session work - keys, bass, vox) whatevers on the calendar. late lite lunch (5-6 o'clock ) wifey time - dinner, back to biz 10 PM on til it ends. soak - wash - repeat. One Gear purchase randomly during the day.
Old 3rd June 2017
Lives for gear

I have to be very fast in the AM.

In NY it's all about what time to catch the train - one second too late and you miss the train that you can actually fit on.

Shower night before.
AM. I have all my pocket materials, wallet, hand sanitizer, keys, metrocard, etc. in a basket. Pull that out.
Go do the tooth stuff. Get dressed, fill my pockets up and get out and go.

No time to waste.
Old 3rd June 2017
Lives for gear

I too find this kind of thing interesting. My routine is:

8am: Breakfast, run, shower
9am: work,
1pm: lunch,
2pm: work,
7pm: dinner, rest.

I think it's good to have consistent start and end times for work. It makes you more efficient and focussed and stops you from getting exhausted or overworked. I also think it's good to make sure you get enough breaks.

The Cal Newport books mentioned above are quite good.
Old 3rd June 2017
Here for the gear

Hey Andrei,

my recommendation is, get a dog! Having a morning routine that's not all about you is good!

Get up, fall into some clothes, get the dog out whatever the weather is - have some fun, talk to real people who don't compose for a living. I will be considering what I have to do that day and often come up with great ideas for what I'm working on which get sung into the phone. Walking the dog kind of frees you up mentally, it's surprising that I seem to come up with ideas without trying to.

Get the dog home - dry him off if it's wet, grab some breakfast, grab him some breakfast, take some strong coffee up to the studio while Reggie (the dog) catches up on some well earned rest.

Works for me!

Good luck....

Barrie
Old 3rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Morning? What is this 'Morning' of which you speak?
Old 4th June 2017
Wake up........drink coffee!
Old 4th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Morning? What is this 'Morning' of which you speak?
Best time of day for sleeping

I am retired, now, so hardly have a normal routine.

I am NOT a morning person! I can not put two synopsis end to end before about 10am. Unfortunately, most of my working life I had to be out the door by 6am to be sure to get to work by 7am.

So, I did everything before going to bed the night before. In the morning the alarm went off, I pulled on my clothes and rinsed my teeth and out the door. If traffic was light that day, I would get a drive through breakfast near work; if not I would grab something out of the vending machine.

Hopefully, there was nothing I had to think clearly about before 10am or so...
Old 8th June 2017
Weekdays (when I have the 3 kids)
Wake up with Lumi (simulated sunlight) alarm clock + my Apple watch 'beeping' @ 6:50 am
Hit snooze on watch several times
Check iPhone for BBC news, emails, Whatsapp, Facebook, Hate on myself for using Facebook, Hate on Trump
Make tea with milk
grab a few slices of malt loaf
Take vitamins
Check iPhone for BBC news, emails, Whatsapp, Facebook, Hate on myself for using Facebook, Hate on Trump
Hit snooze on alarm again (just reminds me to keep moving)
Rouse kids
Get dressed
Serve kids breakfast
Chase them into dressing & brushing teeth
Have espresso with a little hot milk
Electric shave
Brush own teeth / deodorant
Take Bose QC30 bluetooth headphones off overnight charge
Alarm on Apple Watch goes off - warning me its time to leave the house soon
Kids and I head out to catch a city bus to school.
Check bus arrival time on Moovit app. If its going to take too long we either walk or take the car.
Chat with parents outside youngest's class.
Kiss youngest goodbye
Put on Bose QC30 headphones to stream HiRes 96k 24 bit audio via Qobuz and 4G
Walk back home (uphill) or to cafe to work on laptop until Thai Kickbox class
Perhaps do some food shopping (on foot) on the way home
Make & drink smoothie (frozen berries, 1/2 frozen banana, muesli and almond milk)
Start work
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Kids and I head out to catch a city bus to school.
The one thing I love about being a musician was the absolute privilege of being able to take my kids to and pick them up from primary school.

In fact picking them up from primary school at 3.30pm was the absolute highlight of my day.

They're both a secondary school so they walk to school and home again on their own, but I will always look back on their primary school days with great fondness and how fortunate I was to be able to do the school run everyday.
Old 8th June 2017
I have CFS/ME so this is a normal day in quotation marks.
Up at 5 am without a single alarm.
Power up studio equipment, prepare coffee.
Turn on computer.
Empty litter boxes and fill food & water bowls.
Rest & vape like a mofo. Drink coffee.
Feed chickens & deflate cows.
Check email.
Rest and vape like a mofo. Drink coffee.
Read Roll Call.
Comment on Gearslutz.
Check Twitter for ISIS accounts & report.
Sweep and mop floors.
Rest and vape like a mofo. Drink coffee.
Go into studio and lay down a few tracks of tune that came to me right as I was drifting off last night that forced me to get up again and sketch it into my Android mobile.
Start dinner.
Rest and vape like a mofo. Finish pot of coffee. Start new pot.
Work in studio a bit more.
Begrudgingly eat dinner when family gets home.
Vape like a mofo and crash from the effects of food.
Wake up 3 hours later, empty litter boxes, fill food & water bowls.
Listen to new tracks, then power down studio.
Rest and vape like a mofo, drink coffee, and work on Ancestry tree.
Coop chickens & deflate cows.
Back in bed by 7.
Troll new ISIS accounts on Twitter via my Android.
Check email once more.
Lights off by 9.
Get back out of bed right before I drift off in order to sketch new tune into my Android mobile.
Go back to bed.
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Don't have a regular routine, as I wake up at different times depending on when I go to sleep the night before, which can vary greatly.

Though coffee and reading and watching the news is pretty routine.

But, Jesus, of late this is consuming way more time and mind space than I care for, nor have control over:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Hate on Trump
Old 8th June 2017
No Puppet, no puppet!
Old 9th June 2017
Gear Maniac

The interesting thing here is I do not see anything about the normal routine of normal musicians (the kind who work bars, and parties, not the kind who sell millions of records). I have had several friends of that ilk, typically they get home about 3am and sleep until noon.

Never, having slept with one, although there were a few I would have liked to, I do not know their afternoon --most peoples morning-- routine.
Old 30th June 2017
Morning?
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

Normal?
Old 2 weeks ago
I work 3-4 days a week as a Nurse so those days its up at 4AM > Coffee > breakfast > Poop > shower > Leave by 530AM > Be at work at 6AM > Get home from work at 7pm > Go to bed by 8pm

On days I'm not at work my routine is wake up at 7AM > Coffee > Do some sort of musical practice/warmup (turntablism / freestyle / keys) > 8AM more coffee and maybe switch up the musical activity > 11-12AM Make and eat Breakfast > Begin amassing sounds and experiment in Ableton to begin a song or work on previous started songs > 2pm Be on a roll where musical ideas keep on coming or get depressed and pace around my room anxiously trying not to nap or look at gearslutz too often > 4pm Take a break feeling satisfied that I was able to get some good work done or overeat an early unhealthy dinner and enter a food depression coma for a couple hours > 5-6 Cook / eat dinner while watching gearslutty channels on youtube > 7-10 stare at the same equipment on ebay or reverb or craigslist that I have be GASing for years until my vision is blurry and I fall asleep.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threads View Post
I work 3-4 days a week as a Nurse so those days its up at 4AM > Coffee > breakfast > Poop > shower > Leave by 530AM > Be at work at 6AM > Get home from work at 7pm > Go to bed by 8pm

On days I'm not at work my routine is wake up at 7AM > Coffee > Do some sort of musical practice/warmup (turntablism / freestyle / keys) > 8AM more coffee and maybe switch up the musical activity > 11-12AM Make and eat Breakfast > Begin amassing sounds and experiment in Ableton to begin a song or work on previous started songs > 2pm Be on a roll where musical ideas keep on coming or get depressed and pace around my room anxiously trying not to nap or look at gearslutz too often > 4pm Take a break feeling satisfied that I was able to get some good work done or overeat an early unhealthy dinner and enter a food depression coma for a couple hours > 5-6 Cook / eat dinner while watching gearslutty channels on youtube > 7-10 stare at the same equipment on ebay or reverb or craigslist that I have be GASing for years until my vision is blurry and I fall asleep.
So no poop & shower on a music days?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
There must be a billion different "normal" routines! At least, ones we'd recognise as a viable way of getting into the day.

Depends of course whether we have a day-job (our routine is dictated for us by all the things that our employer might expect - basic hygiene for one!)
Depends whether we have dependents whose lives need organising too.
Depends on whether we commute for any reason.

If we have none of those concerns then what we're really looking for is a running start at doing whatever it is that potentially gets us paid. In my case, it is writing.

In my view this question is less about what we ought to do, more about what we ought not do! The "do"s work for us as individuals - the "don't"s affect the flow pretty much for all of us in the same way.

For me.
Leave the Internet alone. It'll do just fine without me. Use it in a break, perhaps, but limit it to the break.
Leave chores alone if at all possible. They are a great avoidance tactic; one caveat is that for people like me, doing a chore might be vital in order to get the peace of mind to start in on "real work". If so, I'll do it early while I'm still not fully up-to-speed.
Set hours for working and do my utmost to stay with them. Make the time achievable and don't go for too long unless I'm really on a roll. Even then, stop when I realise I'm reaching for ideas rather than just finding them. I write for "a living" - I can reach for ideas 24 hours a day (I carry around dictation devices and notebooks).
Accept that there are days when the spark just isn't there. Go out and cycle/run/swim etc and see whether that changes anything. Fill "dead time" with something else that is useful.

The do's that apply to my limited situation are just four -
1/ Minimal breakfast and straight into writing. Never do anything else. Only hunger can really affect performance and focus (accept "bathroom breaks" as and when).
2/ Write a "morning page". It's a scrap of story or just a stream-of-consciousness thing - it fires up the creative aspects without too much commitment to how it turns out. It may also come in very handy later.
3/ Set myself apart from the rest of the house.
4/ Get out on my bike at least three times per week, late morning if possible. Keeps me fit, and also the adrenalin boost keeps me going so that I can tackle either more writing or decide I'm done and get on and do household things. It also varies the day.

Also, if at all possible try to set aside a space where there are no distractions. No audible phones, no online access, not even any unnecessary furniture or ornaments. Before I did this, I used to have to go to my local library with hardcopy and do all my editing there, in a public place with a bare desk and usually very few people around. I could achieve a lot of editing there (it's the worst part of writing and the one I want to avoid the most, so I force it).

But this still isn't a routine. My wife works in a hospital trauma theatre, and that involves all manner of weird days as her shift pattern constantly varies, short days, long days, evenings, nights. We know next month's pattern a week or so in advance. I also do volunteer work for elderly people that doesn't fall on set days either. It means that we have no real routine and have to be extremely flexible and yet very focussed when the chances come up.

The joy for me as a writer is that I can work standing at the window staring at the rain. I don't need equipment to help me think and express myself at all times. That tends to free me up.

With music, I have a minimal setup, a recording setup (portastudio), and a studio setup. The minimal setup is a DAW on a laptop and a NanoPAD, in recognition that the most creative phase of my musical life was back in the day when I stuffed a mic into the front panel of an Akai 4000DS and just went for it - because even a studio can be a place where we lose the plot.

Just my 2c.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM View Post
Sound a bit crazy, I know, but still.

I'm really curious about the topic. Could you share your exact effective morning routine, including shower, breakfast, exercising, making bed, etc. Please be as consistent and precise as possible.

I mean I really would like to develop the good one for myself, but still can't decide the best order. For example, shower before exercises (or running, or whatever), after, or both? Shower immediately out of the bed or spend some time browsing the Internet with a cup of something before? Doing some job before everything? And so on.
Hey there, friend! During the weekdays, I wake at 5:45 AM. I immediately turn off the backup alarm on my cellphone. I`m the first one out of bed, I turn on the lights, walk to the kitchen, and get my prepared lunch from the fridge. I set that on a stand in the bedroom, then brush my teeth and take my vitamins. Then I take a shower, and come out dressed and ready to go. My wife brings me a cup of coffee, I sit for maybe 10 minutes, then I am off for my day of work at the college. I am very blessed.
Old 1 week ago
I forgot to include feeding the studio cat as part of the morning routine.
Old 3 days ago
Morning?

JK

I'm a night owl but wife is a day/morning person and our dog makes sure we don't stay in bed past 7, so I had to adapt. Which means not much sleep!

Then it's coffee -> computer/work (and more coffee) until lunch time.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Morning?

JK

I'm a night owl but wife is a day/morning person and our dog makes sure we don't stay in bed past 7, so I had to adapt. Which means not much sleep!

Then it's coffee -> computer/work (and more coffee) until lunch time.
Coffee is the most important meal of the day!
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Coffee is the most important meal of the day!
Coffee is a major food group: carbs, protein, fat...and coffee.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search