The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
If you are tired - just go to bed!
Old 10th April 2017
  #1
If you are tired - just go to bed!

I need to try this.

For most of my life I have gone to bed when totally exhausted.

I am trying to get to bed earlier when just 'tired' ..

Sleep is so important!
Old 10th April 2017
  #2
What I do, is to take Melatonin. It causes drowsiness and you can fall asleep faster. Melatonin is a natural incredient that the body produces to regulate sleep. As we age, the production is reduced.

One of the side effects is that it causes vivid dreams.
Old 11th April 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
If you get the recommended 8 hrs per night, and live to be 90, you'll have spent a full 30 years of your life asleep. Complete waste of time. Just think of all the much more useful things you could accomplish with an extra 30 years in your lifetime.

Just the way muscles produce and build up toxins when they work, I recall reading a while ago that researchers had discovered that the brain does the same thing. But the brain does not have a lymphatic system to drain them out. When you sleep, channels actually open up in the brain to let the day's toxins be flushed out.

Medical science needs to invent a brain flush so we don't have to waste a third of our life asleep.
Old 11th April 2017
  #4
Lives for gear
Doing what we do though lends it's self to marathon 18h sessions sleep 4 get up and back at it, or on the road no sleep at all
This is a tough business no matter what end of it you work in

Beware, for The Rock Clock tolls for YOU!!!
Old 12th April 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Old 13th April 2017
  #6
Old 13th April 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
 
didlisquat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
What I do, is to take Melatonin. It causes drowsiness and you can fall asleep faster. Melatonin is a natural incredient that the body produces to regulate sleep. As we age, the production is reduced.

One of the side effects is that it causes vivid dreams.
I use to try Valerian root to help me go to sleep and it worked for the most part. The dreams though were more than vivid, usually more like vivid nightmares. I might need to try Melatonin out if I get a spell of restless sleep.
Old 17th April 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Jaybird's Avatar
I just got a king sized Casper bed memory foam.
As a person of correct weight with no health issues I sleep 8 solid.
Some times its kind of hard to get out of such a comfortable bed.

Before I had a spring mattress and I would over heat, toss and turn and was loosing my health.

I sleep like a high school kid, iv never slept past 9am in decades.
Last week I had a visitor come in, take a shower, ring the door bell. I slept right past the noise.



https://casper.com/
Old 17th April 2017
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
I just got a king sized Casper bed memory foam.
As a person of correct weight with no health issues I sleep 8 solid.
Some times its kind of hard to get out of such a comfortable bed.

Before I had a spring mattress and I would over heat, toss and turn and was loosing my health.

I sleep like a high school kid, iv never slept past 9am in decades.
Last week I had a visitor come in, take a shower, ring the door bell. I slept right past the noise.



https://casper.com/
Those foam mattresses are nice! I've tested a couple in the past and they are quite comfortable.
Old 17th April 2017
  #10
Lives for gear
 
foamboy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
I sleep like a high school kid, iv never slept past 9am in decades.
Last week I had a visitor come in, take a shower, ring the door bell. I slept right past the noise.



https://casper.com/
Let's just hope that the next "visitor" isn't carrying a gun or a knife and wants to steal that fancy bed.

fb
Old 17th April 2017
  #11
Lives for gear
 
foamboy's Avatar
I agree that I SHOULD sleep more,but performing 3-5 nights a week and then having to rise early to care for an elderly mother, is not an award winning combo.

fb
Old 17th April 2017
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
Trip Hop Mop's Avatar
Installing f.lux has been a tremendous help. It reduces blue light on your screen/s as it gets darker outside. This is because Blue light prevents your body from producing Melatonin, which your screens can trick your body into thinking its still day time. The gradual change i.flux does is very sublet so your hardly ever notice it happening!
Old 17th April 2017
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Jaybird's Avatar
quitting alcohol also helps with good R.E.M sleep.
guy I know drinks a LOT and his sleep study said he wakes up 600 times a night.
Pretty much making him crazy.

Im always quitting alcohol, I quit every month!
Old 17th April 2017
  #14
Lives for gear
As an older singer (53) I have discovered sleep is my voice's very best friend!

My wife is an "in bed by 10.30pm" kinda gal and usually I'm up 'till about 12.30am pottering around
but then still up at 6.30am to get the kids ready for school.

Lately I've been trying to go to bed at 10.30pm .... it makes a tremendous difference to my singing voice.
Old 17th April 2017
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Hop Mop View Post
Installing f.lux has been a tremendous help. It reduces blue light on your screen/s as it gets darker outside. This is because Blue light prevents your body from producing Melatonin, which your screens can trick your body into thinking its still day time. The gradual change i.flux does is very sublet so your hardly ever notice it happening!
I am a big Faux fan too and night shift on my iPhone
Old 21st April 2017
  #16
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 

Yea, I am like a kid at night that doesn't want to go to sleep. I guess I haven't out grown that urge to just stay up. Its so easy with the distractions we have these days. I really do wish I was more disciplined and got 8 hours every night and went to bed at a consistent hour. I need some ideas on how to do this.
Old 21st April 2017
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Well it's past 4am here and i am past tired..

I just came across this thread and thought maybe i'll call it night - being
in the studio is cool though..







I gotta go now...
Old 21st April 2017
  #18
Lives for gear
 
didlisquat's Avatar
One of these days I am going to save up money for a nice bed. The best sleep I ever got was on a Sealy Posturepedic bed. Wrap up most of my gear buying by next year and then it's time to focus on getting a good bed.
Old 21st April 2017
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
One of these days I am going to save up money for a nice bed. The best sleep I ever got was on a Sealy Posturepedic bed. Wrap up most of my gear buying by next year and then it's time to focus on getting a good bed.
By all means do that. Makes a world of difference.
Old 24th April 2017
  #20
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

What if you're NOT tired, though... What if you're tired in the morning, but by 'bedtime' you could happily hit the gym?
Old 24th April 2017
  #21
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Pretty sure I have this. Even when I was a kid I could rarely sleep before 2am.

https://www.sleepassociation.org/pat...hase-syndrome/
Old 26th April 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
 
BarcelonaMusic's Avatar
 

I take Lithium Orotate for sleep because I am a chronic insomniac. I was hell on my mother, she says I`ve always been that way. I`ll stay up for 2 or 3 days. No drugs. I just have a severe case of it. It would be great, because I get great song ideas at 3-4AM. I usually act on them and go to work after. I have a great job at a college, and it`s a totally different culture than anywhere I`ve ever worked, well, I went to school to work there. But just laid back as hell. Like you may see on the news, they really coddle their employees the same way they do the students. I`m not like totally agreeing with what everything they do, but it`s defiantly best for me to sit down and shut up and keep this sweet gig.
Old 13th July 2017
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
For most of my life I have gone to bed when totally exhausted.

I am trying to get to bed earlier when just 'tired'
My wife has the most bizarre routine: She will very often announce "I'm exhausted, I'm going to bed." And then she doesn't move. And then two or three hours later she's still in the exact same spot, wide awake...and still exhausted. Lather rinse repeat.

Old 16th July 2017
  #24
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicus View Post
Just the way muscles produce and build up toxins when they work, I recall reading a while ago that researchers had discovered that the brain does the same thing. But the brain does not have a lymphatic system to drain them out. When you sleep, channels actually open up in the brain to let the day's toxins be flushed out.

Medical science needs to invent a brain flush so we don't have to waste a third of our life asleep.
I came across this research as well. It changed my attitude to sleep by giving me a way to understand the value of the time spent.

I was an awful child/adolescent I'm many ways, my avoidance of sleep was, I now realise, both cause and effect of this (as well as being a natural PITA). Having had the process and consequences of 'brain flushing' explained to me in words of one syllable or less I now look forward to the time invested and the physical, cognitive and creative results.

Much more valuable than spending time in a gym and so much cheaper.
Old 16th July 2017
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicus View Post
If you get the recommended 8 hrs per night, and live to be 90, you'll have spent a full 30 years of your life asleep. Complete waste of time. Just think of all the much more useful things you could accomplish with an extra 30 years in your lifetime.

Just the way muscles produce and build up toxins when they work, I recall reading a while ago that researchers had discovered that the brain does the same thing. But the brain does not have a lymphatic system to drain them out. When you sleep, channels actually open up in the brain to let the day's toxins be flushed out.

Medical science needs to invent a brain flush so we don't have to waste a third of our life asleep.
However, if you get the recommended 8 hours, you might actually make it to 90 - and you'll have done it with more energy, better cognitive function and ultimately more productivity - it works. When I get only 5 to 6 hours sleep, my output is much less than when I get a few good nights of 8 hour sleep.

As for the "hours" it robs from your life, you can find other activities that do that, like eating, watching tv, sitting in traffic, taking a crap ... that's all part of life, those hours are there to give up.... it's built-in to the design

Last edited by Sharp11; 16th July 2017 at 04:59 PM..
Old 16th July 2017
  #26
Gear Head
 
Hemaeji's Avatar
I usually get in alittle more than 8 hours, but that's cuz I'm usually up for 15.
Old 17th July 2017
  #27
I think I was never cut out for the 24 hour day. I can stay awake very late, but then I'll sleep in late, then stay up later and if there's nothing to stop me, I would wind up sliding my bedtime an hour or two each day until next thing you know, I'm going to sleep at 10am.
I really think I need a 30 hour day.

Oh well.
Old 17th July 2017
  #28
Lives for gear
Total blackout in a bedroom helps.
Old 18th July 2017
  #29
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Total blackout in a bedroom helps.
Also - the high frequency absorption properties of good blackout curtains (drapes) can be very useful and highly adjustable.
Old 18th July 2017
  #30
I'm actually looking at grabbing some Duvetine from one of my gigs and making a small blackout curtain for the window next to my head. Whenever a car pulls into my development at night, its headlights always flash across my window.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump