The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If you are tired - just go to bed! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 24th July 2017
I use eye masks
Old 24th July 2017
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Last week I had a visitor come in, take a shower, ring the door bell. I slept right past the noise.
I'm confused.

Your visitor came in, took a shower and then rang the doorbell?
Old 25th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
I'm confused.

Your visitor came in, took a shower and then rang the doorbell?
LOL! That sounds funny!
Old 25th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I need to try this.

For most of my life I have gone to bed when totally exhausted.

I am trying to get to bed earlier when just 'tired' ..

Sleep is so important!
I can't do more than about 4 1/2 sleep hours per 24-36 or so. It just doesn't happen. I commonly pull all-nighters without meaning to or just sleep an hour or two and I just can't go back to sleep. If i have something important going on the next day it's almost guaranteed I won't sleep at all the night before...The other night I was so bored I scrubbed the stove and the fridge for an hour like a damn meth-head. The wife was happy though

I tried sleeping in my 20's but it got in the way of my drinking. Tried again in my 30's but then got married/kids. Now in my 40's i'm convinced I'll be dead soon so there's no time for sleeping...
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I can't do more than about 4 1/2 sleep hours per 24-36 or so. It just doesn't happen. I commonly pull all-nighters without meaning to or just sleep an hour or two and I just can't go back to sleep. If i have something important going on the next day it's almost guaranteed I won't sleep at all the night before...The other night I was so bored I scrubbed the stove and the fridge for an hour like a damn meth-head. The wife was happy though

I tried sleeping in my 20's but it got in the way of my drinking. Tried again in my 30's but then got married/kids. Now in my 40's i'm convinced I'll be dead soon so there's no time for sleeping...
I require at least 7 hours but can sleep for 9 if I have nothing going on. My issue is that for whatever reason, I seem to come alive around 10 pm and I don't get tired until maybe 2 or 3 am ... and then once I'm sleeping into the morning, I just feel so damn relaxed and can just keep snoozing. I'm also a zombie without coffee, and it would probably be a good thing to just have some sort of automatic IV pump coffee into my veins at a specified time instead of an alarm clock. So I sort of do envy you.
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

I am an insomniac of the highest order. I did take a 2 hour nap today, but other than that I`ve had about 6 hours of sleep in the last 2 days. I`ve been like that my whole life. My mother still talks about all her sleepless nights with me. My musical inspiration "hot spot" seems to be between 2am and 5am. No idea why. Been that way since I was a teenager. Still have the 4 track and the tapes from "late nights at BarcelonaMusic-circa 1989".
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear
Old 12th November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicus View Post
If you get the recommended 8 hrs per night, and live to be 90, you'll have spent a full 30 years of your life asleep. Complete waste of time. Just think of all the much more useful things you could accomplish with an extra 30 years in your lifetime.

Just the way muscles produce and build up toxins when they work, I recall reading a while ago that researchers had discovered that the brain does the same thing. But the brain does not have a lymphatic system to drain them out. When you sleep, channels actually open up in the brain to let the day's toxins be flushed out.

Medical science needs to invent a brain flush so we don't have to waste a third of our life asleep.
Exactly. What if the 8 hour of sleep myth was just devised to keep us "asleep", and not noticing what's really going on in this world.

stay "woke" everyone, you'll live great off 4-5 hours of sleep with a short power nap mid day. You'll get way more done too.
Old 12th November 2017
Gear Addict

And some advice for the posters who are getting more awake around 10, and falling aslee around 2-3. The laptops and devices have so much to do with that stimulation. I literally have to go in a room where there's no laptops or tvs, and put my iPhone on the charger on the other side of the room to really sleep. The mind has to shut down just like the laptop. Otherwise I'll get an idea and start googling stuff and studying til the sun comes up.
Old 12th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I require at least 7 hours but can sleep for 9 if I have nothing going on. My issue is that for whatever reason, I seem to come alive around 10 pm and I don't get tired until maybe 2 or 3 am ... and then once I'm sleeping into the morning, I just feel so damn relaxed and can just keep snoozing. I'm also a zombie without coffee, and it would probably be a good thing to just have some sort of automatic IV pump coffee into my veins at a specified time instead of an alarm clock. So I sort of do envy you.
Got a job (first proper job in 13 years). I get up at 4:30 am for 6 am start time. When I go to bed around 8-8:30 (8 hours) I wake up at 1 and watch tv wishing I could sleep. When I go to bed at 11 or so I sleep like a rock and pop up lie a whack-a-mole ready for action. I just don’t need more than 5 hours ever even working full-time it seems...
Old 27th April 2018
8 hours is a myth. A normal grownup can do fine with 6-7. Sleeping too long increases melatonin production which makes you more drowsy in the morning. 7 is best for me. 6 is bad, I have found that 5 is better than 6 if I can get my full 7 hours the next night. Five hours several days in a row does NOT work for me...

Edit: Maybe I should have stated that I was told this by a psychologist who referred to a major study (think it was a multinational project with thousands of participants followed over several years)
Old 28th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal View Post
8 hours is a myth. A normal grownup can do fine with 6-7. Sleeping too long increases melatonin production which makes you more drowsy in the morning. 7 is best for me. 6 is bad, I have found that 5 is better than 6 if I can get my full 7 hours the next night. Five hours several days in a row does NOT work for me...

Edit: Maybe I should have stated that I was told this by a psychologist who referred to a major study (think it was a multinational project with thousands of participants followed over several years)
I don't think its myth.
7.5 - 8 hours is advised. Personally i need 8 ...always have and i,m not the exception.
One thing is the 90mins cycle, if you put the alarm on or wake up through light emission and its in the middle of a cycle then you are gonna feel groggy.
I don't use an alarm….i wake up naturally. Although sometimes a bad dream can wake you earlier than normal. All my life i struggled with the 7am start because i naturally want to sleep at 1 or 2 am. Thankfully i,m in a position where that is now possible. There again i was never a jump out of bed as soon as waking type of guy. Some folks just hate lying in bed once they`re awake….not me. its one of life`s greatest gifts to be able to do that.
Its possible that climate comes in to the equation.

sleep cycle info
Sleep calculator tells you what time to go to bed for body clock | Daily Mail Online

sweet dreams
Old 28th April 2018
Lives for gear
Old 3 weeks ago
For the past 12 months, my sleep has been very erratic. As mentioned previously, I take Melatonin to help me fall asleep and for years it worked great. Now, I find myself waking up at the Witchin' Hour, 3am or so. Usually I'm roasting with heat and when I turn over, I get quite cold. Eventually, I fall back asleep and wake up to drain the mantis. To make a long story short, I wake up 2-4 times a night while other nights, I sleep until dawn. To make matters worse, I have frequent nightmares that scare the crap out of me. Sometimes, I wake up screaming like you see in the movies.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
For the past 12 months, my sleep has been very erratic. As mentioned previously, I take Melatonin to help me fall asleep and for years it worked great. Now, I find myself waking up at the Witchin' Hour, 3am or so. Usually I'm roasting with heat and when I turn over, I get quite cold. Eventually, I fall back asleep and wake up to drain the mantis. To make a long story short, I wake up 2-4 times a night while other nights, I sleep until dawn. To make matters worse, I have frequent nightmares that scare the crap out of me. Sometimes, I wake up screaming like you see in the movies.
Yeah, probably have to start tapering off that melatonin. Unless there's something else going on in your life causing the sleep disturbance, like too much boozing or other substances.

I read your earlier posts about the vivid dreams and thought "that doesn't seem right. I've read blow does that to a person the night after and can be quite unnerving"
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen View Post
Yeah, probably have to start tapering off that melatonin. Unless there's something else going on in your life causing the sleep disturbance, like too much boozing or other substances.

I read your earlier posts about the vivid dreams and thought "that doesn't seem right. I've read blow does that to a person the night after and can be quite unnerving"
The potent dreams are definitely from the Melatonin. I may need to scale down. The hot and cold though is a bit unnerving for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
The potent dreams are definitely from the Melatonin. I may need to scale down. The hot and cold though is a bit unnerving for me.
Yeah, just be careful about how fast you scale down. If you've been taking it for years you may be dependent on it and might have some nasty withdrawals.

But maybe google it and find out if anyone else is going through the same thing your are and what they did about it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicus View Post
If you get the recommended 8 hrs per night, and live to be 90, you'll have spent a full 30 years of your life asleep. Complete waste of time. Just think of all the much more useful things you could accomplish with an extra 30 years in your lifetime.
Some of the best times I`ve had, was in my dreams, so I`m cool with that
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Got a job (first proper job in 13 years). I get up at 4:30 am for 6 am start time. When I go to bed around 8-8:30 (8 hours) I wake up at 1 and watch tv wishing I could sleep. When I go to bed at 11 or so I sleep like a rock and pop up lie a whack-a-mole ready for action. I just don’t need more than 5 hours ever even working full-time it seems...
This. I go to bed at 11:00 p.m. and get up at 5:30 a.m. When I get home I have a nap for an hour. Maybe two naps on weekends. Being really busy at work is good too.

One thing a lot of people aren't familiar with is sleep apnea. My son works at a sleep apnea clinic and says it's a pandemic. If you suffer from sleep apnea, your sleep isn't anywhere as good as it can be, and it can also lead to stroke and heart attack. He's been pushing me to get it checked out myself.

Best thing I ever did for a good sleep is my Tempurpedic pillow. Great for a good sleep and for your neck.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I take Melantonin once in a while when I know I need a good nights sleep. I used to take it all the time, its natural and you wont get dependant on it. I also used to take Benadryl to sleep which also worked really well, I thought that would become an issue with dependancy but it didnt. I took it almost nigntly for years then just decided to not take it anymore and there were no signs of being dependant on it.

No matter what anyone says, a good night sleep is necessary for good health and longevity.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetdrumz View Post

No matter what anyone says, a good night sleep is necessary for good health and longevity.
I'll add that driving and physical labor can be a lot more dangerous without some good sleep as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetdrumz View Post
...its natural and you wont get dependant on it.
Natural or not, sounds like at least one guy may be having an issue with it. Is there clinical data to show that no one gets dependency issues?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen View Post
Natural or not, sounds like at least one guy may be having an issue with it. Is there clinical data to show that no one gets dependency issues?
I've been taking Melatonin for years and have also discontinued taking it without any adverse results for extended periods of time before using it again. No dependency.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
This. I go to bed at 11:00 p.m. and get up at 5:30 a.m. When I get home I have a nap for an hour. Maybe two naps on weekends. Being really busy at work is good too.

One thing a lot of people aren't familiar with is sleep apnea. My son works at a sleep apnea clinic and says it's a pandemic. If you suffer from sleep apnea, your sleep isn't anywhere as good as it can be, and it can also lead to stroke and heart attack. He's been pushing me to get it checked out myself.

Best thing I ever did for a good sleep is my Tempurpedic pillow. Great for a good sleep and for your neck.

And if you have apnea then IMHO you need to sleep more to get enough sleep that you need.

I used to need 9 hours sleep a night. Now that I am older and diagnosed with mild OA I need 10 hours of sleep a day. 9 at night plus a nap or two to make up for what I did not get quality wise the night before.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Valerian - non addictive root. Used it a handful of times - known as Gods Valium. I always found if, in a day, I do enough physical, mental, emotional, spiritual work I always sleep well. Balance it out. Over anything is not good either.

If all else fails... I just go to sleep in lucid dream via a hypnagogue state and then go to sleep in my dream - you can get 8 hours sleep in 5 mins. Dreaming is under-utilized gift.

If my body doesn't want to sleep I enjoy the relaxed meditative state. Oh ya don't forget your pre-nap snooze before your late afternoon siesta.

Vivid dreaming is like watching a movie, lucid dreaming is being 'awake' and making decisions in the dream.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe sixpak View Post
And if you have apnea then IMHO you need to sleep more to get enough sleep that you need.
Or get it treated. Supposedly those CPAP machines are incredible.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
Or get it treated. Supposedly those CPAP machines are incredible.
I have mixed apnea. They gave me an ASV not a cpap. It kept me awake more then it helped me sleep.

If all you have is OA then a cpap can be a wonderful thing. But if you have CA and OA aka mixed apnea then an ASV is the proper solution but mine did not work. It was used when the DME gave it to me. Maybe it's the machine or maybe it's me but I gave up on using it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I don’t function well on less than 7 hours sleep. I need a full night 8-9 hrs otherwise I’m useless by 2pm. Lately I’ve been putting the devices away at least an hour before bed...then blaze some weed and sleep like a baby
Old 5 days ago
Lunesta worked very well for me last night. I may take some this evening as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search