The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tooth infections....
Old 6th April 2017
Lives for gear

Tooth infections....

Hopefully this will be of help to someone.

Ok so a little while ago I got a tender gum, followed by a little swelling.

The wife suggested swilling with bicarbonate of soda in a little water, which I did 4 times a day.
After the first day, I woke up the following morning with no swelling. After the second day there was no tenderness. I kept it up for another 2 days to make sure, but it was gone - and hasn't come back. That's faster and more effective than any antibiotics I've ever had.

Note: this doesn't work for everybody. Ironically, the wife is one of them.
Old 8th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subverter View Post

The wife suggested swilling with bicarbonate of soda in a little water, which I did 4 times a day.
After the first day, I woke up the following morning with no swelling. After the second day there was no tenderness. I kept it up for another 2 days to make sure, but it was gone - and hasn't come back. That's faster and more effective than any antibiotics I've ever had.

I may give that a try. I use a soft toothbrush, floss, and a Water Pic for my pearly whites. Every once in a while I get abrasions on my gum as a result of brushing too hard. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10th April 2017
Nice one

I need to try this
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

Co Q 10 is the best thing you could ever do for your teeth. Look it up. It works wonders for me and everyone I`ve convinced to try it. Drs. Best brand is the best I`ve found(quality is everything). Reports I`ve got back are 2 weeks -1 month receding gums had either grown, or had begun to grow back. I never floss and my dentist thinks I`m a flossing nut because it only takes about 15 minutes to clean my teeth, even if I haven`t had them cleaned in a year. It`s been about a year now. No bleeding or nothing. For a while I had switched to the much more expensive Ubiquinol form. I don`t notice any difference so I`m switching back to the Drs. Best brand. Maybe $15 a bottle on Amazon.
Old 30th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:

If all else fails please go to a doctor.
Old 30th May 2017
The best way to take care of tooth infections is to prevent them. Infections mostly form on the gums although the can form inside the tooth itself.

Flossing regularly is the best way to prevent infections of the gums. About a year ago I bought a Waterpik water flosser, I swear by it! It does an outstanding job of removing approx 99% of all the plaque that builds on the teeth and in between.

I highly recommend it!

Old 8th June 2017
I just had a tooth out (at the back)

It had been 'annoyed' for several years and had had root canal etc.

I brush well etc....

Better out than in as my dentist said.

Will see about an implant after its healed..
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Head

I been playing the talkbox on and off for the last 12 or so years. I played it a decent amount in the last week and it chipped a piece off from my right molar. Then I read a few articles on the talkbox and apparently it causes all types of dental, throat, stomach issues.

I may retire from playing it again unless I get implants or something...

My last tb video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CieEIR4UMTw
Old 30th June 2017
Quote:
Rapid advancements in the field of stem cell biology have led to many current efforts to exploit stem cells as therapeutic agents in regenerative medicine... These findings indicate a pivotal role for TGF-β in mediating LPL-induced dental tissue regeneration. More broadly, this work outlines a mechanistic basis for harnessing resident stem cells with a light-activated endogenous cue for clinical regenerative applications.
Science Translational Medicine 28 May 2014:
Vol. 6, Issue 238, pp. 238ra69
Source: Photoactivation of Endogenous Latent Transforming Growth Factor–β1 Directs Dental Stem Cell Differentiation for Regeneration | Science Translational Medicine

It may be too late for me. Ironically, the more teeth I lose, the easier it is to maintain the remaining ones.
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear
After brushing, rinse your mouth with some hydrogen peroxide. Remember not to swallow! Then rinse the peroxide taste out with some water. Repeat if necessary. My dentist told me this was safe.
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
After brushing, rinse your mouth with some hydrogen peroxide. Remember not to swallow! Then rinse the peroxide taste out with some water. Repeat if necessary. My dentist told me this was safe.
Have you tried it?
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Have you tried it?
For 10 years now. No problems.
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Have you tried it?
For 10 years now. No problems. But I was told to do it only once a day, too much peroxide can irritate your mouth.
Old 30th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
About a year ago I bought a Waterpik water flosser, I swear by it! It does an outstanding job of removing approx 99% of all the plaque that builds on the teeth and in between.

I highly recommend it!

Those electric toothbrushes are pretty darned awesome too. Nothing else cleans quite as well, especially way back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I just had a tooth out (at the back)

Will see about an implant after its healed..
I highly recommend dental implants. They're great. Pretty expensive though, so a good dental plan is helpful. I had one done and my net cost was around $3K.
Old 7th July 2017
Gear Head

ST37 contains 0.1% hexylresorcinol. Its used as an antiseptic and oral pain reliever.
antiseptic lozenges

Clove oil seems to work better than ST37 as a local anesthetic from my experience. I also brush regularly with Sensodyne tooth paste.
Old 16th July 2018
Here for the gear
Not about infections as such, but dental maintenance. I drink a lot of coffee, I like red wine, and I smoke cigarettes. I have a hard time with staining even though I brush like a madman. Floss too. I get my teeth cleaned every 4 months. Typically the stains start to get noticeable about a month or so after my most recent visit. Which depressed me; I'd have to live with the stains for 3 months before my next cleaning.

About six or eight months ago I discovered an Arm & Hammer toothpaste, "Extreme Whitening" formula. It contains peroxide and baking soda and I'll be damned but that stuff keeps the stains away. The last time I was due for a cleaning I almost cancelled the appointment -- no stains. The stuff is incredible. Highly recommended.

No I don't work for them and am not being paid to tout the product. And truth be told, I didn't "discover" it. My wife brought it home one day and I started using it. I won't use anything else now!
Old 19th July 2018
Quote:

Holy Smokes! It really works!

My toothbrush started getting old and the tips of the bristles began to bend and fray. As a result some of my gums got abrasions and it hurt like hell to brush those areas. I replaced my toothbrush and the sensitive areas continues for a couple of days. I mixed some Arm & Hammer sodium bicarb with warm water and swished it around my gummers and the next day it was gone!
Old 19th July 2018
Quote:

Holy Smokes! It really works!

My toothbrush started getting old and the tips of the bristles began to bend and fray. As a result some of my gums got abrasions and it hurt like hell to brush those areas. I replaced my toothbrush and the sensitive areas continued for a couple of days. I mixed some Arm & Hammer sodium bicarb with warm water and swished it around my gummers and the next day it was gone!
Old 7th August 2018
Gear Nut

Try Oil Pulling with coconut oil, an ayurvedic method, used for some thousands of Years.
This helped me a lot after a pretty tricky dental operation.
Still practicing regularly.
I suggest to be careful with water flossers etc.
It's water pressure can often be too strong so that bacterias find their way UNDER the gum.
My dentist has no love for them, even though he even benefits, he says.

Last edited by laurentius; 7th August 2018 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: English never learned
Old 8th August 2018
Lives for gear
Well boys, at the tender age of 47 I finally lost a back molar. It got loose and just fell out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search