The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The law regarding remixng
Old 18th October 2016
Gear Nut

The law regarding remixng

Hi

There has been a growing trend over the past few years of electronic "bedroom" producers finding acapellas of popular songs, remixing them and uploading the remixes to soundcloud or youtube.

I'm sure a lot of these remixes are not authorised by the rights holders of the original recordings but maybe some are. If I did want to obtain a license to remix a popular song, is there a system I could use for doing this? Would I just have to contact the label directly?

Also, is it possible to obtain a license to actually put the remix on itunes, spotify etc for sale/stream under the remixer's artist name?

Finally, are there any serious repercussions that could arise as a result of doing an unlicensed remix?

Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016
Here for the gear

Personally I've just finished my 20th or so remix, and all of them have been cleared/officially released by the original artist. The most recent one was for a remix contest, so that example is kind of a moot point.

My point though is that unless you are trying to remix some insanely famous artist (Bieber, Adele, etc) you may be surprised how easy it is to get artists/management to send you stems. Obviously not everyone will do it (or even respond) but if you can build at least a small following and have some examples of high quality work, you'll get a decent number of positive responses.

Keep in mind - if you're cold-calling them and asking for stems, don't expect to get paid... But you couldn't legally sell your unofficial remixes anyway so...

BUT if making some money (long-term) is a goal, then doing unpaid-but-official releases for some mid-level artists can help to get you ACTUAL exposure and you'll start to get emails from smaller artists asking you to remix them.

I'm about to start my 3rd remix like that... Where an artist I didn't know sought me out to remix their song. The budgets aren't huge, but I've been doing this for only a year and a half. If you're smart about it, it's totally possible.

I know that didn't DIRECTLY answer your question but I hope it helps you to figure out the next steps in your career.

-Carl

https://m.soundcloud.com/carlbahner/sets/my-remixes

Last edited by carlbahner; 3rd November 2016 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: added link
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search