The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is this good enough for a "Professional Release"
Old 29th April 2016
Here for the gear

Is this good enough for a "Professional Release"

So I've been studying music technology / prod for almost 4 years and I've never formally released anything. This is my latest track and I've just finished mastering it (first of a few attempts). I wanted some real honest (and potentially brutal) opinions if you think this could be played on the radio or released on a label.

Zippyshare.com

https://soundcloud.com/i-r-i-2/desir...rwenna/s-iVNuW
Old 29th May 2016
It could be released on a label. There are a lot of labels around on Soundcloud that I would advise submitting to.

I like the instrumental. For radio play I would suggest something more catchy vocal-wise unless you're targeting niche shows. This type of music is somewhat of an acquired taste.

You have potential.

I'm sorry I can not give any feedback on the mix or mastering as I'm listening through an iMac, but tbf it sounds good enough.
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

It's good, but it's kind of indie.

I like it, I cannot say what industry people think of it.
Old 19th June 2016
Female voice is drowning into ambience reverbs. It has potentials, though.
Old 19th June 2016
I'M NOT AN EXPERT on what "profesionals" are looking for, but i think it definitely has potential. HOWEVER it needs an entirely different mix. shorten the intro, take all the reverbs off, bring everything close the foreground, use standard synths and drums, etc. i love the song, but just like a lot of my own songs, they don't fit the "mold" of the stereotypical pop radio hit but would be one in the hands of the right artists, etc...
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
So I've been studying music technology / prod for almost 4 years and I've never formally released anything. This is my latest track and I've just finished mastering it (first of a few attempts). I wanted some real honest (and potentially brutal) opinions if you think this could be played on the radio or released on a label.

Zippyshare.com

Of course it could be released on a label. It sounds great. If you've mastered it yourself then you'd probably want to send it to a good mastering studio to have it mastered for radio or vinyl or whatever format you'll think will best suit.

If you're happy with the sound aesthetically, and it's artistically what you want to sound like then that's all that matters. Labels release completely lofi stuff, it's all relative to the scene you're imaging you fit into, the other kinds of artists you'd like to be grouped with etc. If you're hoping to be played alongside crud like DRAKE then maybe not, but I get the feeling that's not what you're into.

If you're unsure of the mix, you could take it to a producer that you admire (if you can afford it) and have them work with you on the track, you'll learn a lot and the track will benefit. I mean that's what rock bands do, no shame in having another set of hands work on it.

Also, just get it out there. Release it and move onto the next thing. Release it when you have an EP or album ready to go though. It's ok for a first EP to leave room for change and improvement. If you worry about the production forever you may never release anything.

I like a whole range of stuff, lofi to hifi. Lots of great indie stuff is totally lofi, but captures the mood which is what matters. And your track isn't at all lofi.

Only comment on the mix I'll make is that the vocals could be more upfront, a little less washed out.

EDIT: don't even know if the vocals are too washed at all. Sounds good to me. Quality indie release.

Good luck.
Old 27th June 2016
Here for the gear
9/10 Would listen again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post

Zippyshare.com

Sounds very good, IMO, but this is a typical kind of sound that I usually go for (washed out, dreamy). The mixing and mastering sound good to me (I'm no pro). all I can point out is the arrangement is kind of strange in that it kind of just progresses from start to end without any recurring parts, which I actually think is awesome but its just different than most releases. Its unique, which is a lot better than being exactly identical to the other 500M songs out there. Keep it up.

And to answer your question, most definitely it could be released.

also, I dropped you a follow on SC.
Old 17th July 2016
Here for the gear

I think it's really interesting, certainly helped me compare where I am with my music. I'm still some way away, but I'd say you're certainly close.
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

Cool track, but like someone else mentioned, definitely shorten the intro and cut way back on the reverb. You may also want to experiment with different mixes if you want to get in to the 'Top 40' realm. Good luck!
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

I feel like the sound stage is backwards. Everything but the vocals are wrapped around my head. Seems like it should be balanced the other way around.
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

I really dig this. Different in a good way. Sounds fine here on D5's.
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

I dig the style. Besides, I wouldn't listen to guys who say that you should change that..

Arrangement could be more interesting and I'd like to have a part thats not so tense, like the start or something.

But anyway, I'd just follow my own head and wouldn't put too much weight on opinions on interwebz.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search