The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Having trouble getting any label to listen to my tracks? Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Having trouble getting any label to listen to my tracks?

Hey guys

I wanted some advice in terms of contacting labels.

I generally have a list of favourites, and then write emails to each with a private soundcloud link to my track with a download for them.

However after leaving some of the tracks up for a month, i can still see they havent been played!

Im wondering what I can really do apart from give everything away for free until i have enough fans for someone to take notice?

I generally get only positive feedback on my music these days, yet have little luck with moving it forward business wise!

Here is my latest track, which I wanted to send out but dont know if i should be repeating this same process for a 6th time if it isnt working at all?

https://soundcloud.com/forteproducti...raiser/s-Y0nVL
Old 7th April 2016
Been there and still there. I did have pretty good luck with listens on my last track. Got good feedback too. A lot of big labels hardly listen to submission in my experience. They just poach producers who are getting hot.
As far as I know u have to keep trying and start small and work your way up. Getting good music to smaller but good labels.then once u start getting momentum it will fall into place

I hate waiting six months on a tune before someone listens to it. It's so annoying.
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Addict

I am on the board of a small record label so i might be able to give you some insight.

- unsolicited submissions - we get 100s a month. when the come in via email, there is a rule on the server that automatically dumps them into a special folder. They never get seen nor heard. None of us have time to listen even if we could get to all of them.

- why? Potential copyright infringement. A person that uses any part of of a copyright protected work or uncleared samples in their song is guilty of copyright infringement and can be sued, as can most parties involved in the manufacture, sales, and performance of the work. Too much risk. We do not want to have an artist singing a song that sounds similar to a song sent in by someone else, which could then be used in court to show our artist had access, which is a key component of showing copyright infringement.

- If we do ask you to submit material, we typically want a high quality wav file and not streaming.

With that in mind. Let me ask you, what do you hope a label does for you that you cannot do for yourself? Or aren't already doing?
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwave View Post
I am on the board of a small record label so i might be able to give you some insight.

- unsolicited submissions - we get 100s a month. when the come in via email, there is a rule on the server that automatically dumps them into a special folder. They never get seen nor heard. None of us have time to listen even if we could get to all of them.

- why? Potential copyright infringement. A person that uses any part of of a copyright protected work or uncleared samples in their song is guilty of copyright infringement and can be sued, as can most parties involved in the manufacture, sales, and performance of the work. Too much risk. We do not want to have an artist singing a song that sounds similar to a song sent in by someone else, which could then be used in court to show our artist had access, which is a key component of showing copyright infringement.

- If we do ask you to submit material, we typically want a high quality wav file and not streaming.

With that in mind. Let me ask you, what do you hope a label does for you that you cannot do for yourself? Or aren't already doing?
Hey thanks for the response, I always have the wav downloadable on my soundcloud link as thats what the majority of labels ask for it seems. as they dont want massive email attachments.

Im primarily looking to just access a wider fan base and have a but of industry support that im having a hard time achieving on my own, perhaps get some bookings for DJ sets.

But yeah i kind of dont know what to do when i know my email wont get listened to, all i have done is release tracks on 'digital labels' essentially one guy who uploads what he likes to a big fan base, but that again doesnt really go anywhere
Old 11th April 2016
Deleted User
forget getting on a label, most will f**k you over as far as royalties are concerned, and often enough you won't see a single penny for your efforts.

start your own label and self-release it.
Old 14th April 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernouk View Post
Hey guys

I wanted some advice in terms of contacting labels.

I generally have a list of favourites, and then write emails to each with a private soundcloud link to my track with a download for them.

However after leaving some of the tracks up for a month, i can still see they havent been played!

Im wondering what I can really do apart from give everything away for free until i have enough fans for someone to take notice?

I generally get only positive feedback on my music these days, yet have little luck with moving it forward business wise!

Here is my latest track, which I wanted to send out but dont know if i should be repeating this same process for a 6th time if it isnt working at all?

https://soundcloud.com/forteproducti...raiser/s-Y0nVL
Hey Jack,

It has become more and more difficult to get a decent label to even listen to what we produce these days.

I, personally have given a few of my tracks away as free downloads and it can work to your favour in my opinion.
People simply just don't want to pay for music nowadays. The society we live in, is consumptive and selfish

Getting a positive feedback is a good indicator that you are going the right way! Just make sure that if you decide to give something away for free, it is a top quality download as there will be no way back!

Haven't listened to your tracks yet as I'm at work but will have a listen when I get back.

There are labels out there which offer contracts stating that you as the artist are responsible for any copy infringement issues, should such arise.
Just keep sharing your tracks to groups on Soundcloud mate, I know it's a tedious and mundane job but you won't know if it works until you try

Don't get discouraged, just keep doing what you're doing and you will get there!
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
Hey Jack,

It has become more and more difficult to get a decent label to even listen to what we produce these days.

I, personally have given a few of my tracks away as free downloads and it can work to your favour in my opinion.
People simply just don't want to pay for music nowadays. The society we live in, is consumptive and selfish

Getting a positive feedback is a good indicator that you are going the right way! Just make sure that if you decide to give something away for free, it is a top quality download as there will be no way back!

Haven't listened to your tracks yet as I'm at work but will have a listen when I get back.

There are labels out there which offer contracts stating that you as the artist are responsible for any copy infringement issues, should such arise.
Just keep sharing your tracks to groups on Soundcloud mate, I know it's a tedious and mundane job but you won't know if it works until you try

Don't get discouraged, just keep doing what you're doing and you will get there!
Cheers man, yeah my plans just to keep giving everything away / the odd remix contest.

My SC is in my signature, that link in the OP will be broken now as i took down the private link
Old 3rd July 2016
Gear Maniac

Maybe try to not send just one track, but make 2-4 tracks that really fit well together as an EP
also try to find the best labels that really fit your music, not the labels you like best

Also I think smaller/newer labels usually have more time to listen and a less overloaded emailbox with tons of demos
And send a friendly reminder email after 2 weeks. Ive have gotten replies after doing that oce or twice

Now I found a label wanting to release my first EP
I approached 20 labels I think (starting with the bigger ones in that style, but not specific enough for my music!)
And had a few 'almost there' replies with some good feedback from really nice labels, so that was encouraging
Old 11th July 2016
Lives for gear

I would recommend you start with smaller labels , free netlabels . build a following . produce and release a lot . its a numbers game

most larger labels dont listen or accept unsolicited submissions especially in the crowded genre you have chosen . you will have to wait until your big enough to be noticed .

also as recommended in this thread you will make more money self releasing once you have developed a following . but gain exposure on a label.
Old 16th December 2017
Quote:
Im primarily looking to just access a wider fan base and have a but of industry support that im having a hard time achieving on my own, perhaps get some bookings for DJ sets.
A label will not bring you this. Set aside a marketing budget, hire a PR company when you have an upcoming release to do a 6-12 week promo on it. Also use adwords to get visibility for your music in the "recommended" sidebar on youtube. Put your music on bandcamp and put a link to that in the youtube video description. Get some good looking promo shots made and put those on your facebook/twitter/bandcamp/youtube. Buy ads on Facebook.

As for booking gigs, you can expect to do a lot of cold calling.

E: Didn't see this was such an old thread. But I hope this will help someone.
Old 25th June 2018
Here for the gear

Labels rarely accept demos sent via demo submissions, and end up making it to a label releases.
Here's a neat lil artical from A&Rs of Owsla, and Mad Decent that gives tips and insight on how they go about submissions.
How To Get Your Music Signed: Advice From The A&Rs Of Mad Decent, Fool's Gold, and OWSLA - NEST HQ

There's a LOT more to just sending in one song, and having it released on the label, like said in the artical.

Best of luck doe!!!
Old 25th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hey thanks for the response, I always have the wav downloadable on my soundcloud link as thats what the majority of labels ask for it seems. as they dont want massive email attachments.

But yeah i kind of dont know what to do when i know my email wont get listened to, all i have done is release tracks on 'digital labels' essentially one guy who uploads what he likes to a big fan base, but that again doesnt really go anywhere
Are you uploading WAV's to Soundcloud? or adding an extra link to the 320 mp3 Soundcloud song under the song discription? If so soundcloud is crushing your wav file to convert to their standard file format, and that could effect yoru quality sound if a A&R listened to it.
Old 22nd September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetBefore View Post
Are you uploading WAV's to Soundcloud? or adding an extra link to the 320 mp3 Soundcloud song under the song discription? If so soundcloud is crushing your wav file to convert to their standard file format, and that could effect yoru quality sound if a A&R listened to it.
There's an argument to be made that uploading a WAV is best as it avoids lossy transcoding.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search