The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's on your iPad? Mobile Apps
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

I'm on the fence about Animoog. I wish there was a demo for it. On the one hand, everybody keeps mentioning it in their "top apps" list, but it seems a bit more "Waldorf" than "Moog" to me. (Wave tables, etc.) Also, after you buy the in-app expansions, it's like $80.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Nut

Animoog does sound good, but its never been super intuitive to program for me. I can rarely go in and make a specific sound on it, its more just stumbling into things. I'm sure there are people who have mastered it, but its definitely not your normal knob per function sort of deal.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

The main thing I like about Animoog (besides sounding good) is the expressive way you can play it. You can do slides and bends which would be difficult to replicate on other synths, and really makes the most of the tactile Ipad.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

I got Animoog last December when they put it on sale for $5. Hopefully they have another sale like that in the future, since it's a bit pricey for an iPad app, although it's certainly one of the best.
Old 1st August 2014
Here for the gear

This is what's on my iPad :D Love my rig to death!

Old 1st August 2014
Gear Head

I bit the bullet and got a retina mini a month ago. The appeal of having a studio the size of a thin paperback got the better of me. It has taken over, and pretty much all my spare time has been spent on it since.

App list (so far)

Cubasis
Audiobus
Final Touch
Audio Share
Master Record
MasterFX
Mastering
Oscilloscope
AUFX:Space
AUFX:Dub
AUFX:PeakQ
AltiSpace
Level.24
UltraPhaser
Filtatron
iMS-20
iPolysix
iELECTRIBE
iSEM
iMini
ReBirth
DM1
Nanologue
Addictive Synth
Micro Tera
Arctic ProSynth
Sunrizer
TF7 Synth

So far so good. That lot should keep me busy for the rest of the year.

For anyone thinking of going down this path, I fully recommend it. With the CCK (camera connection kit) and a MIDI / USB adaptor (a few quid of Amazon) it was easy to hook the iPad into my studio set up.

Next on the list is a decent audio/MIDI interface so I can multitrack out from the iPad into the PC...

Last edited by xenteq; 1st August 2014 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Addict

....i got them all.

and what really makes sense beyond just touching and bleeping.....

is first of all.....SAMPLR....is just mindblowing and simple when it comes to touch audio...

the serious apps do cost some money....but keep in mind, those really compete with plug ins for a price of ten percent....

ani moog.....is simply the touch synth!...big sound!
waldorfs nave....the last word in touchable wavetable synthese...
ppg wavemapper.....random sounddesign was never that sexy and promising...
arturias i mini....because sometimes it's even better than the real thing...really...
addictive synth....simply the overtone and arp king....

in drums.....

dm 1......the ultimate drummachine on the ipad....
natives i machine....forget about all this akai app crap...this is the way to go....

and if you're a dj and got balls.....natives traktor does the job....if you don't need to hide behind some fake off gear and just wanna let the music speak....

and be careful...as i said i got them all....can become an addiction....the cheap ones are in most cases cheap ones....don't get lost on your shopping list of collector items.....
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
Right now, just Logic Remote ...

Anybody using this regularly?
I'm curious as to how other people use it ...
I can't really seem to get a workflow on it ...
I do like and use the Logic Remote frequently, but not necessarily ALL the time. I've used the percussion pads as an input device when I needed to add a small drum part, also handy as remote transport controls when recording with a hardware synth across the room from my main Mac keyboard.

I also have the Meteor DAW, which I got because I thought I'd need one on there, but really haven't used it much since obtaining Logic. For sound sources, just Animoog, iMini, Waldorf Nave (cool!), and Galileo but I also need to still add an iConnectMidi to get more out of them.

The music app I absolutely use the most though is ForScore to get me through all my gigs. I'm constantly learning/adding new material every week and this keeps me organized. With so many new songs to keep up with, I like having my virtual "Cliff's Notes" of charts and scores in front of me to help me remember them all.

I also love the utter simplicity of Focusrite Tape to quickly capture an idea in rehearsal and send it back out to the other players to keep us all connected and remembering how we did something fresh. Lots of good uses.
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Addict

Tera synth has just been released.....my first impressions are that's it's really good!.....
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Addict

Keep mine pretty simple.

Logic X Remote ( I use quick keys more than transport and faders). I hope they would add a simple track selection screen that would let yout easily scroll through your template and some sort of arrangement screen for easily arranging.

old version of Animoog (the newer versions random generator does nto work as good with the new waveforms)

and Nave (wishing for a AU one day)

second Ipad with Touchosc for parameter and controller changes.
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Nut
My faves or what i've bought... I've bought too much apps and didn't make any music with most of them. It's a real GAS, guys.

Whatever, my favs:

Jasuto - it's freaking modular! Awesome for live perfomances, too.
ThumbJam - for me most comfortable "real instruments" sampler.
GeoSynth - cool controller if you prefer guitar layout.
Waldorf Nave - i just like it's deep sound.
bleep!BOX - nice little groovebox for techno or even chiptune.
JR Hexatone - genius drum machine for IDM but painfully awkward for "basic" stuff.
WerkBench - sampler-groovebox for beatboxing.
Borderlands - granular experiments.
TC-11 - awesome flexible synth with unique controls BUT! u must know what to do, or else you ll be stucked with "crazy sounds", nope you can do melodic stuff too.
Orphion - nice and expressive controller/instrument.
BeBot - very cute little synth for playing solos.
SynthTronica - underrated and - sadly - abandoned by developers, synth with fromant synthesus, also multitouch filter etc. And i don't know if it works on ios7 and higher (i'm on 6.1.3 currently)
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Maniac

My favorites are Animoog, Thor, Nave and iMaschine.

I have a few others, but those are the standout best in my mind.

If you're into Animoog, here are some free sounds I made.

https://mega.co.nz/#!hhZy1YRC!BAc_wB...nAmbrs9gH1CHh0
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

I shouldn't have waited so long to pick up Animoog. It's fantastic.
Old 11th August 2014
BeatMaker 2

I've been floored with BeatMaker 2. Especially, considering it can integrate seemlessly with apps like Waldorf Nave.

It was a dream come true. I can write full arrangements with the internal instruments alone, while sitting on my ass on the couch. The interface is awesome, and the audio record function is the icing on the cake.

It can also export/accept MIDI clock data, so you can sync it with external gear.

Ever since I've been messing with the iPad, I'm convinced it can be used as a pro device. I'm considering putting my NL4 up for sale, as I can get far more mileage out of integrating apps with BeatMaker and outputting the audio via Apogee's duet for iPad.

Regards,

Phil
Old 11th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
I've been floored with BeatMaker 2. Especially, considering it can integrate seemlessly with apps like Waldorf Nave.

It was a dream come true. I can write full arrangements with the internal instruments alone, while sitting on my ass on the couch. The interface is awesome, and the audio record function is the icing on the cake.

It can also export/accept MIDI clock data, so you can sync it with external gear.

Ever since I've been messing with the iPad, I'm convinced it can be used as a pro device. I'm considering putting my NL4 up for sale, as I can get far more mileage out of integrating apps with BeatMaker and outputting the audio via Apogee's duet for iPad.

Regards,

Phil

Same here. Beatmaker II has been my DAW for the past year and a half. I'm anxious to see what they come up with for Beatmaker III.
Old 12th August 2014
Gear Addict

Omni TR Remote-Omnisphere Remote, much fun and free.
Old 12th August 2014
BeatMaker 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Same here. Beatmaker II has been my DAW for the past year and a half. I'm anxious to see what they come up with for Beatmaker III.
When are they expecting to come out with the third version?

-Phil
Old 12th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
When are they expecting to come out with the third version?

-Phil
Last I heard, they were taking their time to make certain they got it right. I can wait.
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessestephens View Post
My favorites are Animoog, Thor, Nave and iMaschine.

I have a few others, but those are the standout best in my mind.

If you're into Animoog, here are some free sounds I made.

https://mega.co.nz/#!hhZy1YRC!BAc_wB...nAmbrs9gH1CHh0
Good stuff jesse! thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search