The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iphone in built mic, what is it and why does it sound truer to my voice than .. Ribbon Microphones
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Cool thread!

I quite like the iPhone/iPad mics. Sometimes I record my D28 this way. One thing you need to watch out for is a lot of cases really mess with the mic sound and introduce the internal noise of the device! If you've got some good vocal mics try comparing against the iPhone mic with a pop filter. Sometimes the iPhone wins.
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear
The most important thing here is that the Iphone mic is an eletrete. That kind of mic is cheap to build at a good quality. So that's a small condenser. small condensers are good at room recordings. Better than most mics under $150. but not good at loud things close and does not have the largest dynamic range.
Old 5th September 2017
Here for the gear
just for fun take a look at these:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...roid--390-810/
I bet its close to the vibe you are looking for. I have a few of these, but never tried one for recording
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Let me give a slightly more provocative theory as to why some people might like the sound of their voice better on the built-in mic :

When people say " I like the sound of my voice better on these mic" , they are often referring to the the sound of their voice as THEY hear it directly when they speak. What you think your voice is like , is in fact different from what other people hear when you're talking to them. You hear your own voice both thru the sound vibrations coming from your mouth ( and bouncing off various surfaces around you ) AND from the direct vibrations emanating thru your skull, throat, nose, etc... The latter transforms the sound in a way that makes it perceived by you differently from people standing in front of you and mainly getting the sound of your voice directly from the air sound vibrations emanating from your mouth.

In short, everyone has the wrong idea about what their voice really sounds like.
It could be that the limited frequency of some mics, like the built-in mic of the iPhone and such, actually deform the sound in an unfaithful way that happens to somewhat coincide with the way you perceive your own voice while talking.

So , while it sounds more faithful to your own ears, it's actually not compared to what other microphones record and how other people perceive your voice.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

If you record using audiobus or Audioshare as your input, go to the hardware settings in either one and select measurement mode. That turns off the high pass filter and auto gain on the iPhone mic and you can get pretty natural and good mono recordings that way. Audioshare also has control to lower mic gain, so much less distortion.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search