The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Syncing iPhone mic to DAW
Old 22nd October 2020
Here for the gear

Syncing iPhone mic to DAW

Hey everybody.
Has anyone figured out a way to clock an iPhone to a DAW for the purposes or recording audio via the phone’s microphone?
I want to get the “voice memo” sound one gets when recording into a phone, but I want to sync it up with a couple of “proper” mics recorded into a DAW simultaneously. I’ve tried simply recording into the phone at the same time as recording into the DAW, then importing the files and lining them up, but the drift is pretty bad.
Any ideas?
Old 23rd October 2020
Here for the gear

If yo’re a logic user, maybe you can try to use DAW in your iphone. Garageband for instance. Record to garage band and import the project to your mac. Open it in Logic Pro
Old 24th October 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikner View Post
Hey everybody.
Has anyone figured out a way to clock an iPhone to a DAW for the purposes or recording audio via the phone’s microphone?
I want to get the “voice memo” sound one gets when recording into a phone, but I want to sync it up with a couple of “proper” mics recorded into a DAW simultaneously. I’ve tried simply recording into the phone at the same time as recording into the DAW, then importing the files and lining them up, but the drift is pretty bad.
Any ideas?

Was thinking about this same thing recently, and just found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsVcHnJ9Sys

He mentions using this app:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/microp...o/id1070812067

I've yet to try it, but it seems like it should turn your iPhone into a "normal microphone" in one sense, and you could just connect it to your computer via the phone's headphone out (via dongle/adapter) through your audio interface inputs, or directly via USB like he details in the video.

All in all, I do enjoy the "voice memo sound" every now and then, and perhaps this might do the trick and save some time importing/exporting between devices.
Old 24th October 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikner View Post
Hey everybody.
Any ideas?
Do you have a Mac? If so get a Lighting to USB C (or USB B) cable and hook your iPhone to your Mac. Go to Utilities / Audio Midi Settings and Choose your Iphone as an input. Then record away - Choosing the IPhone as a input in your DAW.
📝 Reply