The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audient Evo 8 is NOT plug-and-play for iOS and DOESN'T work for streaming
Old 18th October 2020
Audient Evo 8 is NOT plug-and-play for iOS and DOESN'T work for streaming

HI guys, I don't post here a great deal but feel compelled to share my experience with the Audient Evo 8. This is the review I'm considering submitting on the Sweetwater site unless Audient jumps to it and fixes the firmware within my return window.

I would give the Evo 8 0 stars if I could. I've been in contact with Audient for months in anticipation of the release of this product, and when Sweetwater got it in I jumped on the opportunity immediately. I was so excited to get it, but so incredibly disappointed when I plugged it in to my ipad and tested it for the first couple of hours. With unit connected via USB-C to my 4th gen iPad Pro, it powered up but did not pass any sound with headphones plugged in and a guitar plugged into any of the inputs. I tested with 2 DAW apps I have on my ipad and it was not showing input or indication for monitoring. I tried to play a prerecorded track, but it was almost inaudible until turned to the maximum, even then it was quiet and was making popping noises.

So I plugged the interface into my windows PC and downloaded the driver update, which seems strange since this product is brand new. Then, I reconnected the unit to my ipad, and this is when the "smartgain" option started acting up.

I tested GarageBand after and did manage to get the Evo 8 to record multi-track. However, the levels once set on a certain track started to jump all over the place. I would set the tracks using smart gain (using only jfet input and the 2nd input) and then record. Suddenly the volume on the track 1 would jump to the maximum and clip the recorded track and track 2 would go to the minimum. I could dial the tracks volume after the recording started, but this seems very counter-intuitive.

Here are some more FATAL FLAWS for the EVO 8:

1) The EVO 8 does NOT work with streaming on the iPad either. It caused both Facebook Live and Instagram Live to crash.

2) "Smartgain" gave me problems both before and after I updated the drivers in my windows computer. With a guitar plugged into either input 1 or the JFET input, I pressed the green button, then selected 1 and then hit the button again. It started flashing red, but then it took a long time to register while I played and then all four numbers started flashing while the button flashed red. It did this over and over again until I unplugged the USB C and power cycled. Then it would work for a while. Also note the volume jumping behaviour in GarageBand.

3) NO free iOS DAW. The Audient ARC website indicates that the purchaser of their products receives a free account of Cubasis LE 2 for iOS, but when you read the fine print you will find that the offer is exclusively for the iD4 interface.

4) Advertised as "Plug and Play" with iOS. False, it didn't work until I updated the drivers with my Windows PC. Headphones were almost inaudible and popped when I turned them up.

5) In the product space, for almost the same price y'all have 2 other products that fulfill all of the above for iOS: the IRIG Pro Duo I/O and the MOTU M4. I own an iRig Pro Duo i?O which I like, but I wanted 4 in and unfortunately opted to purchase this item instead.

And now a fatal flaw on my order, I’m being asked by my dealer (SW) to pay return shipping out of my refund for an item that is defective and not as advertised.

Last edited by Crowyote; 18th October 2020 at 07:58 AM..
Old 19th October 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowyote View Post
HI guys, I don't post here a great deal but feel compelled to share my experience with the Audient Evo 8. This is the review I'm considering submitting on the Sweetwater site unless Audient jumps to it and fixes the firmware within my return window.

I would give the Evo 8 0 stars if I could. I've been in contact with Audient for months in anticipation of the release of this product, and when Sweetwater got it in I jumped on the opportunity immediately. I was so excited to get it, but so incredibly disappointed when I plugged it in to my ipad and tested it for the first couple of hours. With unit connected via USB-C to my 4th gen iPad Pro, it powered up but did not pass any sound with headphones plugged in and a guitar plugged into any of the inputs. I tested with 2 DAW apps I have on my ipad and it was not showing input or indication for monitoring. I tried to play a prerecorded track, but it was almost inaudible until turned to the maximum, even then it was quiet and was making popping noises.

So I plugged the interface into my windows PC and downloaded the driver update, which seems strange since this product is brand new. Then, I reconnected the unit to my ipad, and this is when the "smartgain" option started acting up.

I tested GarageBand after and did manage to get the Evo 8 to record multi-track. However, the levels once set on a certain track started to jump all over the place. I would set the tracks using smart gain (using only jfet input and the 2nd input) and then record. Suddenly the volume on the track 1 would jump to the maximum and clip the recorded track and track 2 would go to the minimum. I could dial the tracks volume after the recording started, but this seems very counter-intuitive.

Here are some more FATAL FLAWS for the EVO 8:

1) The EVO 8 does NOT work with streaming on the iPad either. It caused both Facebook Live and Instagram Live to crash.

2) "Smartgain" gave me problems both before and after I updated the drivers in my windows computer. With a guitar plugged into either input 1 or the JFET input, I pressed the green button, then selected 1 and then hit the button again. It started flashing red, but then it took a long time to register while I played and then all four numbers started flashing while the button flashed red. It did this over and over again until I unplugged the USB C and power cycled. Then it would work for a while. Also note the volume jumping behaviour in GarageBand.

3) NO free iOS DAW. The Audient ARC website indicates that the purchaser of their products receives a free account of Cubasis LE 2 for iOS, but when you read the fine print you will find that the offer is exclusively for the iD4 interface.

4) Advertised as "Plug and Play" with iOS. False, it didn't work until I updated the drivers with my Windows PC. Headphones were almost inaudible and popped when I turned them up.

5) In the product space, for almost the same price y'all have 2 other products that fulfill all of the above for iOS: the IRIG Pro Duo I/O and the MOTU M4. I own an iRig Pro Duo i?O which I like, but I wanted 4 in and unfortunately opted to purchase this item instead.

And now a fatal flaw on my order, I’m being asked by my dealer (SW) to pay return shipping out of my refund for an item that is defective and not as advertised.
Hello there,

Firstly, apologies for any confusion regarding the iOS compatibility of the EVO 8 and we're naturally disappointed with your experience.

While the EVO 8 can be powered by the USB-C port on an iPad Pro,you might only get basic Input and output routing from some iOS applications, as the EVO 8 isn't officially supported on iOS or iPadOS - this is similar to our iD line.

As EVO 8 has more inputs and outputs, the routing becomes a little too complex to do on the hardware itself so does require the use of the EVO mixer software.

iOS doesn't currently support the technology we use for the EVO mixer application so at this moment in time, we are unable to produce an iOS version of the EVO application.

Hence why the EVO 8 isn't considered officially compatible and we don't market EVO8 as an iOS device for this reason.

EVO 4 is officially iOS compatible as it doesn't require software to function as all the audio routing can be controlled from the EVO 4 hardware itself.

Cubasis can only be unlocked when an iOS compatible device such as the EVO 4 or the iD4, hence why Cubasis for iOS isn't available for EVO 8, iD14, iD22 and iD44. You can still benefit from the rest of the Audient ARC offers however which include Cubase 10.5 LE amongst other great software and services.

Regarding the strange behaviour in Garageband, this would be due to the Automatic Gain Control setting being turned on in the Garageband settings which gives the DAW control over the input level. This can be turned off in the Input settings which should stop this behaviour.

As musicians and engineers ourselves, we can fully appreciate the frustration you may have felt when receiving your new interface and not being able to jump straight in and make music. Could you please send us a DM on Gearslutz with your email address and we'll try and find the best way to assist you with this.

-Audient
Old 20th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hello there,
As EVO 8 has more inputs and outputs, the routing becomes a little too complex to do on the hardware itself so does require the use of the EVO mixer software.

iOS doesn't currently support the technology we use for the EVO mixer application so at this moment in time, we are unable to produce an iOS version of the EVO application.

Regarding the strange behaviour in Garageband, this would be due to the Automatic Gain Control setting being turned on in the Garageband settings which gives the DAW control over the input level. This can be turned off in the Input settings which should stop this behaviour.

As musicians and engineers ourselves, we can fully appreciate the frustration you may have felt when receiving your new interface and not being able to jump straight in and make music. Could you please send us a DM on Gearslutz with your email address and we'll try and find the best way to assist you with this.

-Audient
I don't know that I buy that the processor in my iPad Pro 2020 (A12Z) couldn't handle basic mixing software. I have the 6gb RAM model and the processor chip destroys any benchmarks my old Windows PC can handle. I would be willing to venture that developing an iOS app or compatibility is a major project and this is a difficult time to get any project moving.

Tests on my end have shown the odd behavior with Smart Gain is random. Close to startup the adjusted volume on a track seems to change by itself, especially with a high output source like the piezo stereo output of my custom strat. Some iOS apps like amplitube and Shure Motiv don't change the tracks volume automatically, but others do like the Shure video app which maxed out the volume suddenly upon recording, for instance. I don't know if there are auto gain settings in Garageband, but I found the behaviour there was a bit random also. When I turned off a few settings like noise gate and compressor on both track, one track would stay the same when I started recording, but the other track would change. I'm guessing it's a driver's issue. There are definitely some bugs to work out.

I tried recording with Reaper on my PC with the mixer app. It took a bit of time to figure out how to make the headphone output stereo. Other than that it was fine. I wasn't really looking to get another interface that requires a mixer app as I have a Roland Octa-Capture.
📝 Reply