The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering workflow
Old 21st September 2020
Here for the gear

Mastering workflow

Hi!

I am trying to figure out the best workflow for mastering. I am using some izotope stuff melodyne reason and audition primarily. Sometimes things sound great one day, and the next day it seems different. It’s so hard to decipher how maybe each different software processes the sound. I have been tweaking each channel with the fft filter. Am I making extra work for myself? I really think this fft filter is so precise. I have a couple mics I record with & I can’t complain about them. I suppose maybe it could be faster for me to just export the entire track & use the software algorithm to get the “polished result” or do people do that?

Last edited by iAurosa; 21st September 2020 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 25th September 2020
Gear Head

Enormous subject. From my experience:
Het the sounds right at recording. Choose sounds that go together nicely. Later, less EQ and mixing needed.
Mastering is about two things:
-achieve the final loudness
-achieve the final tone (album would sound consistent)

It is really like cooking. REALLY! Taste it, see whats needed and add it/subtract it.
Takes time to learn and train your ears. Every song is different.

It helps to have a song handy that you like and can compare to. A-B it. Even at the mixing stage.
There is no magic button to push and it will make it right.
Hope this helps.
Old 25th September 2020
Gear Head

There are many software that can do mastering on top of mixing in there are dedicated mastering software. Both can work if you can achieve your results. I for example mix and record in logic then export the results then import to a new logic session and master within logic again.
Old 26th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Squirrel View Post
Enormous subject. From my experience:
Het the sounds right at recording. Choose sounds that go together nicely. Later, less EQ and mixing needed.
Mastering is about two things:
-achieve the final loudness
-achieve the final tone (album would sound consistent)

It is really like cooking. REALLY! Taste it, see whats needed and add it/subtract it.
Takes time to learn and train your ears. Every song is different.

It helps to have a song handy that you like and can compare to. A-B it. Even at the mixing stage.
There is no magic button to push and it will make it right.
Hope this helps.
Hi!

Thank you, yes, and I think that’s is the best advice about the reference track, I sometimes do it but I haven’t been doing it for everything... & then I’m spending extra time pondering & tweaking & wondering if the sound is legit for the character of the track... Need to commit to that reference track I think.

Thanks again
Old 26th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Squirrel View Post
There are many software that can do mastering on top of mixing in there are dedicated mastering software. Both can work if you can achieve your results. I for example mix and record in logic then export the results then import to a new logic session and master within logic again.
Hi

Yeah, I see. I have been just experimenting & I lately produced everything in Reason then export each channel & import to Audition & I like those algorithms on there & the multi band compressor. But now I got these plugins from izotope & I’m still trying to be more efficient with time.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear