The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iPad Pro for on-the-spot post-production on location.
Old 29th June 2020
Gear Maniac

iPad Pro for on-the-spot post-production on location.

I recently wrote a magazine article about using my iPad Pro in the field for doing on-the-spot post-production of endangered music. In other words, how the iPad Pro assists me to visit a remote village, record and film some endangered music, and hand over a useful copy to the musicians before I leave.

It’s a follow up to an article I wrote back in 2018, but so many things have changed in the iOS world that it was time for an update.

You can read it here:

https://www.audiotechnology.com/tutorials/going-further
Old 29th June 2020
Lives for gear

cool article. I will defiantly read this.. as it does seem ARM and iPad is the future -- maybe things have evolved since the iPad Air solution.

i really like the idea of the iPad as a complete portable DAW solution. But I think i ran into the same stumbling blocks as others . moving and transfering files to and from the iPad was a bitch and a half and so was exporting and importing between apps within the iPad -- audio copy and all that stuff .. a stand alone computer as a DAW is so much easier to work with.
Old 29th June 2020
Gear Nut
Thanks! Tons of useful information.
Old 30th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
cool article. I will defiantly read this.. as it does seem ARM and iPad is the future -- maybe things have evolved since the iPad Air solution.
My first use of iOS for recording was with an iPad Air, in fact. I think it was the 2nd generation. I was using Apogee’s Quartet and Auria Pro then. It was cool, as long as you didn’t touch anything while recording. Apogee’s side of the it was rock solid but in those days the iOS wasn’t really a multitasking platform much and touching anything during recording itself was asking for trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
But I think i ran into the same stumbling blocks as others . moving and transfering files to and from the iPad was a bitch and a half and so was exporting and importing between apps within the iPad -- audio copy and all that stuff .. a stand alone computer as a DAW is so much easier to work with.
I went through all of those problems myself, back on on the iPad Air some years ago, and more recently (2017) when I moved to iOS. In those days, the only sure way of getting stuff in and out (without connecting to a laptop or desktop) was via a wireless connection. Much of those problems have been solved now with the USB C port and iPadOS. The fundamental architecture is not the same as a MacOS or Windows device, so there’s always that new learning curve of “how do I move files around in this environment?”, but iPadOS has really sorted a lot of stuff out.
📝 Reply